The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Video of a eq. flat class that goes beyond WTC

Hi all, I'm trying to find a video of an equitation flat class (junior or adult) that has the riders do something more than WTC. I know there are other tests that include movements like turn on the forehand or haunches and I'd love to see how that plays out. Doesn't have the be anyone/anywhere in particular... I'd just like to see it.

Or maybe I should be asking the question of why there aren't many flat classes that ask for such things? Not sure now.

In this one, riders are asked to demonstrate in each direction lengthening of stride at trot and canter, haunches-in, and flying lead change to counter canter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK1XGq4wIyQ
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 members found this post helpful.

You can probably find videos of the flat phases from finals on usefnetwork in the archived section

Couldn't find an archives section on usefnetwork... could you provide a link?

I have nothing to add except that I want that horse Chip Chap. He's so cute!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Holy cow, that's weird!

I know of the girl in the video! I used to ride at her trainers' place. Small world!

I'd expect to find some more video footage on Youtube. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

Its hard to link on my phone but if you go to usefnetwork.com and go to the on demand tab you can find the washington international show and capitol challenge and view the equitation finals videos. Not sure if they have the flat separated out for those. The Mclay was broadcast by the alltech horse show so you may be able to find a replay on their website?

Try searching for equitation Medal classes - flat phase test. You could also check the USEF rule book for the Hunt Seat equitation - medal test- that would give you an idea of what type of tests can be asked for.. Sometimes in a regular medal class - if they even take the time to test - it might be doing a fig 8, halt, walk fence - the testing would depend on the level of riders being tested. You wouldn't have a a pre-childrens or pre-adult medal class necessarily testing counter counter.

The Maclay finals flat usually isn't extremely complicated, at least in the last few years. I think they usually just do WTC, sitting trot, and collections/extensions.
    If you want a more technical class, I would recommend looking for the North American eq flat at Capital Challenge (can't find a video of that, but last year it was super technical and quite exciting to watch) or a USET flat as posted above.

The THIS children's medal had a really awesome bit of testing on the flat.