The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Registration transfer question

How much can I write on the back of JC papers? I'd like to put my ph. no. and a "call me if retirement home needed" type note before I send this mare's papers to her new owner. I've made this offer on other horses, but I always attached a note instead of writing directly on the papers. I'm afraid this one is going to be resold so I'd like something a little more permanent.

I know I can call the JC monday, but just trying to get some office chores done this weekend.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

As a breeder when we sell one privately (in other words not at auction) I write our contract information and ask when the horse is going to be retired please get in touch. I keep it brief. Don’t know how the JC would feel about it and don’t care. There is plenty of space in the transfer section. A number of years ago I wrote the JC to provide an area for this information along with a strong request to consider re-issuing/replacing the “racing” certificate with a “non-racing”, different color certificate for sport, pleasure owners when asked. Never got a reply. Not surprising. Writing on the certificate IMO is better then attaching a note that may get detached and lost. But I would only write the information in the transfer section. I doubt the racing secretaries will have a problem with it. We lost a horse to a claim recently that I forgot to do this which is most upsetting.
    I am going to contract the JC again along with breeders that I know and who carry far more “weight” then I do.

Default It does work! A success story to share

Keeping this a bit vague on purpose, but I just have to share this story.

In January I started leasing a 23 year old TB who had had quite the storied past (track, international eventing, fox-hunting, pasture abandonment). One of his caretakers along the way put on her contact info on his papers with a similar note to call if rehoming was ever needed. Well, she got a call in June of this year from someone who had him hanging out in a field down South. The last owner had died a while back and they needed him gone.

He was put on a trailer back North and arrived in horrible condition. I heard that had she known what rough condition he was in that she would have paid to euthanize him instead. But, here he was and so she worked to bring him to health.

I met him this fall and started started taking dressage lessions on him in late December. When given the opportunity to lease him I jumped on it. His transformation has been amazing, and now that he knows he has "his person" (me) he is really blossoming. It is wonderful to see his personality emerge. He's even at the top of his gelding turn-out group now, bossing around others 15 years younger than himself!

So, yes, I encourage you to write a note. You just never know what may happen.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    As a breeder when we sell one privately (in other words not at auction) I write our contract information and ask when the horse is going to be retired please get in touch. I keep it brief. Don’t know how the JC would feel about it and don’t care. There is plenty of space in the transfer section. A number of years ago I wrote the JC to provide an area for this information along with a strong request to consider re-issuing/replacing the “racing” certificate with a “non-racing”, different color certificate for sport, pleasure owners when asked. Never got a reply. Not surprising. Writing on the certificate IMO is better then attaching a note that may get detached and lost. But I would only write the information in the transfer section. I doubt the racing secretaries will have a problem with it. We lost a horse to a claim recently that I forgot to do this which is most upsetting.
    I am going to contract the JC again along with breeders that I know and who carry far more “weight” then I do.
    Happily, the Jockey Club has just amended their policy on TBs that are not to be sold for racing. You can now report that a horse is sold as "Retired from Racing". That way the new owners can still have foal papers and authentic ID and pedigree info but the horse will not be able to race again.
    Now, if you're selling/transferring a TB for racing, you can do as the poster suggested, writing a small note on your address line. But I would also write your info on a card (index- sized) or small piece of paper and staple it to the back of the papers. The staple should go on the top (where bleeder certificates and copies of Coggins are often stapled). Just last season an assistant trainer was in the racing office, to get a set of papers. She took a look at them and said "Oh good, I love when people put a 'will give this horse a home' note on the papers. It makes things so much easier!" In this particular instance, the person had also written "will pay". One would think that shouldn't be necessary, but in some cases it could make a difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

Also, you can include yourself on The Jockey Club's Thoroughbred Connect program, which started a year or two ago. If interested in a known Thoroughbred, you can include your contact information on the website. Ideally any trainer/owner, upon deciding it's time to retire, can look through the site, and contact those interested in providing aftercare. Although it's still apparent not enough know about it. Wonder how successful it has been so far in placing individuals.

http://registry.jockeyclub.com/regis...ConnectLanding
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I put a sticker on the bottom of all of my papers (transfer section) with contact info

Thanks all. I do have horses on Thoroughbred Connect, but I don't think very many people are aware of that. I did write my contact info. on this particular horse's papers, but was worried about "invalidating" the registration. As lax as the JC is about transfers, I really don't know why I worry.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?