The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

ETA - So, this seems like a show management rule enforcement issue.
    Ultimately, yes . . . humans have a very faulty sense of personal responsibility sometimes, so in a crowded society we are forced to make "rules" on how to behave. If the rules were strictly enforced, there would be an end to it. But everyone appears to exempt themselves and their dog(s) because "they won't hurt anyone" or "they don't go anywhere" or "they love the chance to run around on the XC course" or "nobody's around right now", and so it goes.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Ultimately, yes . . . humans have a very faulty sense of personal responsibility sometimes, so in a crowded society we are forced to make "rules" on how to behave. If the rules were strictly enforced, there would be an end to it. But everyone appears to exempt themselves and their dog(s) because "they won't hurt anyone" or "they don't go anywhere" or "they love the chance to run around on the XC course" or "nobody's around right now", and so it goes.
    And that was my point DW.

"If there is a lease law then it is an acceptable response. Then inform the office that you found a loose dog and took it to a center. Now the owners are in hot water"

That was not an avocation of just dumping the dog off, but on using the law and a responsible act to help "enforce the rules". Certainly the first thing would be to take the dog back to the owners with a conversation or drop off at the office, but what happens the second or third time. You assume people are just peachy and will "never do it again" and I am of the view that by the third time it is not a time to be nice. Don't have a couple of hours? Then do nothing or just put up with repeat offenders.

My neighbors have a dog that is always chained up outside. It got loose one day and came into my pasture/riding area when I was riding. Thank goodness Sterling was taking it okay, we ever chased the dog out of the pasture to be captured by the owner. The next time it happened the dog hunted both Sterling and Clover. It was not play and when I finally caught the dog (it almost bit me) I took it back to the owners and had a talk...again.

The third time it happened which was a day later I then took the dog into my barn, tied it up (with water) and called the cops to ask what can I do. Their response was "if is attacking your horses you can shoot it". He also told me that Animal Services will not only fine the owner, but require them to build a shelter to hold the dog (no chains). When the owner showed up that night I told him what I did, what I found out and what I plan to do the next time I see that dog.

Now, at a show you cannot just shoot a dog (not your property), but certainly upon returning said dog to owner the first time you are within your rights to indicate that the next time you see it peeing, defecating, or destroying your property, if you can catch it it will go to Animal Services, ask at the office. Since most people do not like confrontations I doubt that would be said and the cycle repeats.

1 members found this post helpful.