The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just reading this thread makes my blood boil. I too was camping at a horse trial and had the about 3 encounters with loose dogs.

the first the dog pooped in our very defined camp area followed by the owner laughing and saying "watch your step" followed by me saying you had best grab that fork over there and clean it up or you will be wearing it. She knew I was very serious.

We turned in two other dogs in our camp nosing around our cooler and other trying to poop in our camp to the doggie pound, (it wasn't even set up when we got there and no fine was enforced for the delinquent dog I know I checked because I was very angry at the time.)

I think that pony clubbers should set up a doggie jail at every event and enforce the $50.00 fine as usually advertised but never enforced in the omnibus. The money could be used to support the club and you might have kids out there patrolling for any dogs to increase the funds. Increase the incentive to them by offering them the $50 towards a clinic or event the pony club puts on.

Just some thought to keep dogs on leashes through the power of the pocket book.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I can't imagine a predator being anything but flat-out fascinated by and drawn to the scent of deer urine. And that they would want to "mark" such a fun smell for their own. And what benefit is added by spraying MORE urine in the area?

The stinky urine isn't to spray around, it's to spray the offending dog with. That way it's owner gets to deal with a icky, stinky mess when the dog goes back to it's own "camp"
    I realize paint ball guns can sting a little, but unless you have it jacked all the way up, it won't even break the skin.
    When we lived in town I used a paint ball gun on a lower setting & nailed a few pesky loose dogs that kept getting into our chained, closed up garbage cans. Hit them one time & they never come back....lol
    Plus it lets the owner know that someone out there is pissed about their loose dog.

1 members found this post helpful.

How about mixing some of this up in a squirt gun? Won't hurt the dog but the owner will definitely know the dog was somewhere it shouldn't be.
    Skunk Fusion

I would not use a paintball gun on someone else's dog. God forbid the dog actually get hurt and you get sued!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

You could douse the offending canine with this aptly named spray, and THEN drop them off at the show office -- extra points for getting a video of the response. Read the reviews -- this stuff is legendary though I have NOT experienced it first hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Ass-Mis...rds=liquid+ass
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Default Like the pony club idea

While I am not an eventer, I have had encounters with unruly dogs at horse shows. There were times when I was walking my leashed dog somewhere - not even close to some dog's "home" base - and the dog attacked my leashed dog. The owners were always somewhere in the area and thought it was cute! My dog was always either on a leash or in his pen and behaved quite nicely the entire show - or he would have stayed home!

The pony club or similar group would probably be a good idea and a money maker for the group. Just post in the horse show office and around the show grounds that loose dogs will be picked up - $50 retrieval fee with all money benefitting pony club or whatever group. Dog owners would be put on notice and I would not expect to see the vast number of loose dogs at shows and events in the future.

But if a PCer gets bit trying to round up a dog, that would suck. So maybe not.

I'd go with the hair color spray. For one thing, the dog won't like it, the noise will probably scare it off, AND the owner will get ticked off and probably keep their dog leashed.

I'd be furious if a dog peed on my things. Seriously.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

A lot of this borders on vigilante justice, which is pleasure but a very sketchy sort of pleasure and there are always unintended victims (like a dog who didn't ask to be given an irresponsible owner). Turn the dog in to the show office, or return it to its owner if you know who it is, and be a grownup about it.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

People who allow their dogs to run loose at horse shows should not be allowed to own dogs. Or, probably, horses.

That sucks....I agree with the (safe) spray can idea. Or a squirt gun loaded with something stinky, and a sign warning dog owners what will happen.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Catch the loose dogs and take them to the horse show office. Let the horse show office deal with the owners.

There is one nasty little bulldog looking thing here that pinned my daughter in a stall today. I am on the trail of the owner today! I will be filling out an eval for the event with a strong mention of the dog problem here!

I do want to give a shout out to the orgs for an otherwise excellent event here at Twin Rivers, Paso Robles CA ! And to James Atkinson, a newly minted R course designer, for his hard work and great courses!

A lot of this borders on vigilante justice, which is pleasure but a very sketchy sort of pleasure and there are always unintended victims (like a dog who didn't ask to be given an irresponsible owner). Turn the dog in to the show office, or return it to its owner if you know who it is, and be a grownup about it.
    This. It's the owner's behavior that needs to change here. The dog is being a dog. If the owner were to behave responsibly and in accordance with established rules, there wouldn't be an issue.

Another poster mentioned "unless [the paintball gun] were turned all the way up it wouldn't even break the skin." This doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. It hurts-- very much. There's a reason paintball players wear armor. The fact that it may not break the skin hardly makes shooting an animal with a paintball gun humane-- nor does it make this an appropriate response to a human's irresponsible behavior.

My neighbor owns a puggle and prefers to leave it tied out (on our common lawn) rather than walking it in the dead of the midwestern winter. We live in a town home development, and the dog howls and barks incessantly for fifteen minutes or more at a stretch while its apparently deaf owner hangs out inside. Meanwhile, two doors down, I am trying to put my baby down for a nap. The dog is obnoxious, and I'd never have one like it (we do have a dog of our own), but the problem isn't the dog. It's the owner.

Take the dog to the show office. If they don't assess a fee upon collection, make noise until they do, and certainly ask to be notified of the owner so he/she can reimburse you for your hay.

Completely agree with this. Hitting a dog with a paintball gun just because it urinated in "your space" is quite cruel in my opinion. I've been hit with paintballs and they REALLY hurt. One of those could cause a hell of a lot of bruising and maybe worse to a small dog.
    The dog doesn't know it's your space, or that he is not supposed to pee within the boundaries. Just take him to the show office or put some sort of boundaries up.
    I agree it is very irritating, but take that out on the irresponsible owners, not an innocent animal!!

Everyone has a phone -- VIDEO the dog doing what it is doing. Find the dogs owner. Ask them what they think ought to be done. "Should I catch your dog and turn it in to the SPCA because it's loose, and doing something that would not be acceptable in say a housing development or city street? Should I post the video to Facebook and Twitter? Should I save a jar of pee and pour it on YOUR hay and personal property? You let me know what you prefer, and it will be done."
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

3 members found this post helpful.

This also makes my blood boil. It is so, so disrespectful to competitors, vendors, spectators, etc. to have your dog off leash.

When I was vendoring (selling t-shirts) at the AEC's, there were several people who just let their dogs run all over the place. They crapped in my booth, marked the corners of the tent.. just gross. Not to mention that I don't want to babysit your dog, no matter how 'sweet' he is. It is extremely annoying that Fido keeps bringing me his nasty tennis ball and dropping it on my sandaled feet when I have customers needing assistance.

I am a dog lover. We have 2 wonderful labradors. But you know what? They don't come to horse shows unless they have someone to handle them 100% of the time.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

I'm with Delta on this, but I feel, after reading these posts, that taking the dog to the office is not a real solution. What I read is that the the owner goes to the office, gets the dog back with a ignored lecture and they thank the office for finding their dog. Way to easy.

Another tack, depending on the state, capture the dog and if possible, take it to the closest animal services center. If there is a lease law then it is an acceptable response. Then in form the office that you found a loose dog and took it to a center. Now the owners are in hot water. Now they really pay and either they get the message, for it cost them time and money, or they really don't care.

Harming the dog for being a dog has much more legal ramifications is something goes wrong versus using the law in your favor.

I agree that spraying the dog or using a paint gun is not fair to the dog. Also would be concerned that some asshat owners would not go to the shelter to retrieve their dog. And depending on the shelter, the dog may be euth'd. Keep in mind that some communities have limited resources for their 'animal services/shelters.'

No real good answer if the organizer, or a sub-group, does not enforce the lease law.
    Another thought is to claim the 'loose' dog. We all have an extra lead line that can double as a leash. I would secure the dog with water and when the 'so-called owner' comes calling - then deal with the situation. You can make a point with the 'so-called owner by explaining in detail why you have their dog. Whether you plan to lecture, keep the dog, surrender to a shelter (may be a better option for the dog) or just hand the dog over - if they are sort that know everything about everything.

Good luck.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I daresay most animal shelters have far better things to do than to participate in "proving a point" to irresponsible owners. I am not going to take a couple of hours to find the local animal control and then take somebody else's dog there! Poor dog! What if the owner doesn't get the information or have the money to pay the fee? (not every dog at a horse show belongs to a wealthy owner)

What's wrong with HAVING A CONVERSATION with the dog's owner?? Do we really need to make all these convoluted, Machiavellian efforts to deal with pee?
    Click here before you buy.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Talking to the owner is a reasonable first step, but not always effective. One of the trainers at my barn has dogs that come into our tack room, steal lunches out of lockers, take containers of horse cookies, steal the cat's food (they walked off with an entire shrink-wrapped box of 24 cans), steal wraps, annoy the cat, etc. The cat is smart enough not to run for the most part but there have been times when he was running towards me when I called him and they chased him. The stolen stuff ends up in the bushes if you're lucky and who knows where if you're not. She does apologize at least some of the time and managed to find the $30 bottle of wound spray that I had in a bag that had once contained food. Never found the bag--I replaced it with a bright yellow one that would be easier to find in the bushes. But much of the time she laughs it off. I yell and wave my arms at them when they come into the tack room and try to keep the door shut and the cat door open. We have mostly learned not to leave anything below about waist height. I kicked sand in their direction when they chased after the cat who was politely coming when called.

I do enjoy it when her assistants shriek when mice come running out of their feed room. If not for the dang dogs, the cat would patrol that area too and there would be no mice.

I would probably be too much of a wuss to paintball someone's dog.

I've been at shows where show management somehow got Animal Control to come to the show. AC maybe somehow made money off the deal?
    The Evil Chem Prof

I daresay most animal shelters have far better things to do than to participate in "proving a point" to irresponsible owners. I am not going to take a couple of hours to find the local animal control and then take somebody else's dog there! Poor dog! What if the owner doesn't get the information or have the money to pay the fee? (not every dog at a horse show belongs to a wealthy owner)

What's wrong with HAVING A CONVERSATION with the dog's owner?? Do we really need to make all these convoluted, Machiavellian efforts to deal with pee?
    Like, for both ur posts delta, you are right on in your thoughts. So yes a dog peed on some hay, sucks and is crappy but nit necessarily the dogs fault, and taking any animal to a local shelter is pretty much a death sentence. Especially in rural areas.

shame, I usually don't post, or not often, but I'm definitely saddened but some of these post to hurt the dog. Don't get me wrong, if a dog comes after me or mine , 2 or 4 leggeded, I'm.not opposed to a swift kick in the gut, but nothing in these post
    how this dog being a vicious threat. Just find the owners and take the irresponsibleness out on them, nit the dog.
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Just to be clear. Spraying the dog with stinky spray will NOT hurt the dog (do not spray the face / head- obviously) -- dogs LOVE to roll in stink! But, owners faced with a now very stinky dog that they have to deal with MAY think twice before turning it loose again -- or not.

Comparing to the "Pony Pee Punishment" thread is interesting.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-heard-of-this

I would think a loose dog would warrant a large fine & getting kicked off of the premises due to the safety issues - not to mention personal property damage.
    ETA - So, this seems like a show management rule enforcement issue.
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing