The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Paintball Gun, Pepper spray boobie trap?

I am getting so tired of other peoples dogs peeing on our hay and equipment at horse shows that I am planning a counter attack.

I think that marking them with a paintball gun might be the best as it will show which dogs/owners are at fault.

Yesterday DD took one home by his collar who had just peed all over her generator. And believe me this owner knows the leash rule!

She also got growled at by a bully that she chased off our hay. He was giving it a good soaking. At $3 a bale, I might let it go, but at $10 I am not.

To be completely horse related I ask, would you feed dog peed hay to your horse? Should I ask the dog owner to replace that bale?

Default Well, I'd rinse it off and feed it...

but if this was a continuing problem, I'd have a real CTJ meeting with the dog owners. Oh wait, no I wouldn't because I'd be delivering the little beasties by the scruff of their little necks up to the show office for them to deal with.

There is no excuse for letting your dog run loose.

None.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Go to a hunting supply store

Get a really nasty smelling bottle of deer urine or something else smelly.

Load your squirt gun.

Wait.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Get a really nasty smelling bottle of deer urine or something else smelly.

Load your squirt gun.

Wait.
    I like this one unfortunately paintball guns HURT, so I wouldn't do that to a dog - ditto pepper spray. I would haul the dog to the show office though!

3 members found this post helpful.

Angry Dogs are Gross

Ugh...what can I say, dogs are gross and have terrible bathroom etiquette. (I have two myself, and I still think this, so not a dog hater.)

That said, even good dog owners who keep their dogs on short leashes at horse trials may find it difficult to stop their dog from having a quick pee. Then you have the bad dog owners, who seem to think their darling untrained dogs should have free reign over the stabling area, thinking it is cute when they jump on people and run by horses at mach 10 speed. But I digress....

Due to bad doggie bathroom manners, escapee horses and bad weather, I keep my hay in waterproof hay bags. I only have one horse, so this is feasible for me, but could you put a tarp over your hay? I would NOT feed my horse hay that has been peed on, but good luck getting the dog owner to pay for replacing it.

Tux, we have 8 horses at this competition. And all the junk that came with them.

I cannot tarp the generator, lawn chairs, side tables, tack trunks, etc etc. In our camp and I shouldn't have to! One of these loose dogs even peed on one of our dogs' crate.

One dog owner is even laughing about her dog bringing her a bag of horse treats from someone else's barn! gurrrrr

I may look into something stinky to spray, but paint would tell everyone that "you are" a bad dog owner. Do they make a stinky paintball?

I like dogs, we bring 2 Corgis with us. They have a nice pen to hang out in when we are busy with the horses. We take them to the manure pile to do their duty. They are always on leashes, or in the pen, or in the trailer.

It is common courtesy people !

Quote Originally Posted by tuppysmom View Post
    It is common courtesy people !
    ^Yeah, not everyone has this, though. You shouldn't have to protect all of your stuff from roving dogs. If I bring my dogs they are either on a leash at my side or they are confined to my horse's stall or a tack stall. Sadly, the lack of common courtesy in a few bad dog owners can really spoil an event.

Maybe try spray painting people's dogs? Supersoaking them? Posting photos of their dogs on Facebook with a description of the offense? I really don't know the answer. It is amazing how some people can be so oblivious to their dog's bad behavior. I had an ex trainer like this. Boggled my mind.
    Last edited by TuxWink; Mar. 2, 2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo

You might try hosing the bale down - a bit of dog urine residue is not going to harm your horse (most hay fields have plenty of critters living & defecating etc in them - including any number of dogs & coyotes) BUT I suspect some horses would consider the hay unpalatable. Hay that is still tightly baled should only have a bit of urine on the edges.

Have you looked into portable fencing? for ideas

I agree this should not be your responsibility, but if show office is doing nothing to enforce the rules, & you want to show those venues ...

After I was labled the bad guy because my dog attacked another dog at an event I don't take a dog any more. Now, mind you my dog was TIED in MY trailer dressing room and this loose dog jumped in and proceeded to help himself to her food. Of course I was wrong because I didn't have the door closed It's always something! My SO was bit just walking by someones stall where her dog was tied. Thankfully neither of these 2 dog owners attend our area events any more, but there are still plenty of others who aren't responsible.

Just like rug rats, "yours" are always smarter, cuter, better behaved, etc., etc., than anyone elses
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Super soaker full of hot sauce and paintball liquid in a neon color.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Paint ball guns may hurt, but a loud yelp and a dog tucking tail and RUNNING for "home" with a huge neon green splotch on its side will work wonders.

For dog owner's notification purposes (and of course, amusement) you should get a cheap can of spray marking paint and "mark" your territory at the show, and have a sign saying "Dogs seen crossing this line will be marked".

It is not lack of "etiquette" on the dog's part--they don't have the same hangups we do about bodily functions. It is a lack of consideration on the part of the dog's owner. I would take dog and bale to the owner if I knew who it was and absolutely ask them to pay me for the spoiled hay.

You could try a scat mat--anything that steps on it will get one almighty static shock, enough to send them yelping without any actual harm.
    Click here before you buy.

I put my hay bales in contractor bags. I only bring one or two horses, so might not be as workable for 8. Best thing is the bags really last, I can re-use them at the next show.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    It is not lack of "etiquette" on the dog's part--they don't have the same hangups we do about bodily functions. It is a lack of consideration on the part of the dog's owner.
    Oh, I know it is all inconsiderate owners - I was just anthropomorphizing a bit regarding the dogs and their lack of "etiquette." I still stand by my statement that dogs are a "bit" gross, though. I mean, my dog eats his own vomit and thinks cat poop is delicious.

OP, instead of taking the dog "home" to the owners, what would happen if you took the dog to the secretary's stand and reported it as loose?

Or, randomly tied the dog somewhere (with a bowl of water of course) or placed it in an unoccupied stall with a sign that said "loose doggie jail". Make the owner come look for the dog instead. This is assuming the dog is friendly.

I'm sorry I must be in a cynical mood today. I guess I've been really fortunate, DD's events have always had lots of dogs at them but they've always been leashed or really well behaved.

2 members found this post helpful.

Too bad you cannot paint ball the owner!!! Somehow mark them.

Food coloring in squirt gun?
    Of course you run the risk of the owner not believing your side of the story and getting really pissed that someone messed with Fluffy.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I like the deer urine idea. Or anything that stinks but is harmless. I have to admit, I am not a dog fan.

I can't imagine a predator being anything but flat-out fascinated by and drawn to the scent of deer urine. And that they would want to "mark" such a fun smell for their own. And what benefit is added by spraying MORE urine in the area?
    Click here before you buy.

What about hair dye? They make some temporary stuff in aerosol cans or the semi-permanent stuff in fun colours... Or could you find out what stuff they use for the Colour Run and get some of that, it gets thrown on people so I can't imagine it being harmful if Fido licks at it when it's wet, according to their web page it IS edible, but surprisingly high in calories Perhaps I should adopt this plan for my neighbours dogs who like to jump the fence and poop in our yard, hhhmmmm....
    Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...

Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique