The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    Very cute ponies! I've got three who I've got high hopes for....

Next is my 4yo Section A x Arabian mare. She's in foal this year, so she'll be put back under saddle in Fall. I started her last year and this is absolutely the most naturally talented horse/pony I've ever sat on. VERY easy, very smart, sensitive, balanced, just really and outstanding mare. She has three wonderful gaits. I have to admit when I produced this cross I was

49245&l=7a173ec0e5"]One more[/URL].
    I'm totally in love with this filly. She reminds me of a pony my father picked out for me when I was 12. And, it sounds like she has the same amazing personality as my pony. Enjoy! And post some more pics, please.

I should add that I love ALL the pics posted. What a terrific group of ponies and such happy looking owners/riders.
    Last edited by suzy; Apr. 18, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    melody1, she's adorable. You look well matched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    melody she is adorable! Can you tell us more about her?
    Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    She is LOVELY! What level are you schooling with her? With the pic which looks like half pass and her muscling, she doesn't look like any first level horse. Just a very, very nice build for the job, too!
    Thank you all so much! I'm a little biased, admittedly, but I think she's just the best. I actually got her as an unstarted 3 year old to be a saddleseat horse, but she didn't seem to agree with my plans for her so I showed her as a breed show hunter for years before I had some crazy notion to start riding dressage. I took her with when I became a working student for an FEI rider and both ouf our worlds turned up side down! She's 13 now (those photos are from this spring) and is schooling 4th level. I've been somewhat limited financially and I'm trying to get my gelding out as well so she doesn't have an extensive record of sanctioned shows, but she has scored in the mid 60s at 3rd and I'm hoping that I'll be able to wrap up my bronze medal this year! She is such a good little girl and tries her heart out every ride, and I leave every ride on another horse wishing that it had been her.

I didn't want to bombard you with photos, but since you practically asked...

Half Pass

More trot

Trot

Halt

First time in-hand, scored 83.3%!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Arabians make great dressage ponies! Melody thanks for sharing you have a lovely one.

My personal pony is also part Arabian. She's just beginning her under saddle training and headed to her first show today
    Here's pic of her showing In Hand
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Gorgeous mare stripes!! Hope the show went well!
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

I didn't want to bombard you with photos, but since you practically asked...

Half Pass

More trot

Trot

Halt

First time in-hand, scored 83.3%!
    Great pics, melody1, and FANTASTIC in-hand score! Congratulations! Bet that was a great day! ::-)
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

http://m1290.photobucket.com/albumvi...b.jpg.html?o=1

http://m1290.photobucket.com/albumvi...b.jpg.html?o=1

In the cute pony category, Chuck! 12.3h Welsh Section B. I picked him up as a very last minute impulse buy/rescue after being away from horses for a few years.The pictures are from pretty early on, and he's up to a healthy weight now. Brought him home, got him healthy and happy, and he's been a dream to work with, loves to work and please and is coming along splendidly! So much fun! He's coming along great now and is really starting to show some good athleticism!

*As a side note, it's great to see that ponies are no longer getting the bad rap that they have had for so many years! Being poorly trained by children, and used as a living motorbike in the hands of inexperienced kids would make any horse sour. So nice to see them living up to their full potential in the hands of competent adults!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
    Great pics, melody1, and FANTASTIC in-hand score! Congratulations! Bet that was a great day! ::-)
    Thank you! It sure was! She also went high score her first time out at 2nd level, and over two days under two judges we earned several mid-60% scores. This has been such an incredible journey!

I REALLY wish I could view facebook/photobucket images from work. I am loving this thread as I've always been partial to ponies, and to see so many other people enjoying their petite partners as much as I do warms my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
    Gorgeous mare stripes!! Hope the show went well!
    Thank you! Chanel had a pretty good show, 3rd out of 8 in her In Hand class and 2nd in her very first under saddle class. Being in heat made her a bit inattentive, guess that's the challenge to showing mares - LOL

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Thank you! Chanel had a pretty good show, 3rd out of 8 in her In Hand class and 2nd in her very first under saddle class. Being in heat made her a bit inattentive, guess that's the challenge to showing mares - LOL

She's gorgeous! But why do you consider her a pony when she is a horse? She doesn't have an ounce of pony blood and she is likely oversize from what you have said. Has she measured a pony?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    She's gorgeous! But why do you consider her a pony when she is a horse? She doesn't have an ounce of pony blood and she is likely oversize from what you have said. Has she measured a pony?
    Thank you.

I bred her to be my GRP. Right now without shoes she is just a hair over 14.2, so she is unfortunately too tall for a pony card, but she won't be over 15h. There are many purebred Arabians with pony cards and they technically have no pony blood, so not sure why you think a small horse without an ounce of pony blood can't be a pony? Plus, my trainer had an imported GRP in her barn for a long time that was 15h, is he not a pony? He had a lot of pony blood in his pedigree.

I finally got some pictures of my Welsh Cob X, he looks 100% minus the bulk. He can cob trot if he so desires like no ones business.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...psd063bf67.jpg
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

I think it gets confusing when there are pony breeds (Connemara, Welsh etc) that can be oversize but are still ponies solely due to that is what their breeding is, and then there is pony sized..... and that of course is sized based.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    I think it gets confusing when there are pony breeds (Connemara, Welsh etc) that can be oversize but are still ponies solely due to that is what their breeding is, and then there is pony sized..... and that of course is sized based.
    True. However, a horse-sized Arabian isn't ever a pony...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Everyone is welcome to send me their Porsies.

I think its odd the Connemara is often touted at the largest of the pony breeds---but I have seen some 16HH Cobs (there is apparently no upper height limit)---never seen a 16HH Purebred Connemara but if you look through some of the old ACPS mags there were some stallions advertised as over 15.2HH--saw one that claimed to be 16HH. Interestingly some of those old dudes are still around---incredibly they shrunk! Imagine that!

Sorry OP--please carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    I don't think it's confusing at all. There are pony breeds that are ponies regardless of size for their own breeds, but do not qualify as ponies for carded pony divisions if they are oversize. There are pony sized equines with horse blood who can qualify as carded ponies for pony classes and in some instances be approved with pony registries. But nowhere is there a horse with 100% horse blood from registered horse parents that is over pony size that is a pony.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    I think its odd the Connemara is often touted at the largest of the pony breeds---but I have seen some 16HH Cobs (there is apparently no upper height limit)---never seen a 16HH Purebred Connemara but if you look through some of the old ACPS mags there were some stallions advertised as over 15.2HH--saw one that claimed to be 16HH. Interestingly some of those old dudes are still around---incredibly they shrunk! Imagine that!

Sorry OP--please carry on.
    At my barn there is a lady that imported 3 white Connemaras from Ireland as "pets" if you can believe it. Once of them she claims is 16hh, and sure enough I took a tape to him and he is nearly if not 16hh tall! All 3 of them are huge for Connemaras, but one is a monster. Looks more ISH to me personally. I'll take some pics when I get a chance.

Its possible it is ISH vs CPBS --the ISH accepts them the Irish CP Registry puts them in Class 2 or 3 (vs. Class 1 Studbook Registered). I have seen some ISH out eventing (imported) and they are undoubtedly pony bred. Technically as an Inpected breed overheight is frowned on but nothing to prevent them from being sold over seas.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    True. However, a horse-sized Arabian isn't ever a pony...
    she said a hair over 14.2 that could very well be 148 (or 149 cm with shoes) and get her in as "pony"

unfortunately for me, pony is a measurement and not about breed - so I am pretty sure I wont be able to show my Pony as a Pony. But for others it may work opposite (ie they have a horse that can be shown pony due to size alone)

genotype vs phenotype ... or something like that

As one who has a breed that falls all over the measurement map....and goodpony I have ridden one of those 16+ hand Welsh cobs much prefer the smaller versions though he had a wicked nice rocking horse canter.....my own personal definition of a pony is whether or not it has pony character. I've owned Arabs that were 13.3 on up. Even at the smaller height they are definitely horses in character. Welsh cobs, on the other hand, even at 16 hands might lose the 'type' to most eyes but they are definitely all pony between the ears
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Well my pony is still a pony according to the tape I have at the barn. It's not official as those tapes are hard to be accurate with, so she is right on the edge of being a hair over 14.2hh with shoes on. She's also registered Half-Connemara and I believe ISR sport pony. 50% pony blood and 90% pony-tude! The other 10% is snorting-Arabian. As we finally start to bond, both her attitudes make her pretty fun to be around.

I finally got a picture in a dressage saddle (that I am still struggling a bit in, but she loves). This is her doing one of her favorite things so I think she looks adorable. The pony and Arab need to be kept busy
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalitud...n/photostream/

She's a bit downhill looking in this picture, but if you knew where we started from you would realize how wonderful it is to finally have her relaxing over her topline like this, settling into her work. Some of it is the perspective. I'll take it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalitud...n/photostream/