Well my pony is still a pony according to the tape I have at the barn. It's not official as those tapes are hard to be accurate with, so she is right on the edge of being a hair over 14.2hh with shoes on. She's also registered Half-Connemara and I believe ISR sport pony. 50% pony blood and 90% pony-tude! The other 10% is snorting-Arabian. As we finally start to bond, both her attitudes make her pretty fun to be around.
I finally got a picture in a dressage saddle (that I am still struggling a bit in, but she loves). This is her doing one of her favorite things so I think she looks adorable. The pony and Arab need to be kept busy http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalitud...n/photostream/
She's a bit downhill looking in this picture, but if you knew where we started from you would realize how wonderful it is to finally have her relaxing over her topline like this, settling into her work. Some of it is the perspective. I'll take it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalitud...n/photostream/
Very cute!!! Curious as to what kind of saddle you ended up with???
Both mares have been bred back to Pro A Resolute for 2014 foals. We'll see if we have a repeat of the twisted sista's (the two 2012 fillies) or some other motley crew next spring. I palped one Saturday and she was preggers. The other is too soon to tell. The plan is to sell one and keep the other for my future dressage mount. Either way it goes I'm pretty happy to know that I will have more pony fun in the years to come.
I really don't think I'll own anything other the Welsh Cobs from now on mine impresses me more and more each day. Granted I will say ill never train another horse after my attempt to train my cob, the pros do it best.
--Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--
You see Justmyluck I got into welsh cobs for all the opposite reasons. I too will never go back to anything else (well save an Arab here or there) but I got rid of the warmbloods and took on the welsh cobs precisely because I wanted to continue to train my own. There is nothing more rewarding imo than to be able to achieve your goals through your own blood, sweat and tears. And yeah I know there will be those who will point out that there are easier ways and no need for blood shed (I really never shed any blood either); but, the welsh cobs were obtained for their versatility, ability to be a family mount and because I have been able to do it on my own. I will admit that a pro would have brought mine along faster and perhaps have gone farther but I don't pay all that money to let someone else do it. Arabs and Welsh cobs have provided me more opportunities and allowed me to attain goals I had long ago without second mortgaging the house.
There is nothing better than riding homebred-I just hope I last long enough to do it three times! I think my new guy is a repeat on the first one only I think he's going to turn black (alright happy to say he is an improvement)--right now he is kinda purple! LOL! Took this of the little guy last night--he is stinking fun!
Tonythepony and LuvmyDutch, nice looking photos! Love all the the others too! So great to see what everyone is doing with their horses. Can't wait to see how Stellar does under saddle this summer. He is going back to the trainer who started him, and we are expected a lot from our boy this year. Will post pictures this summer as soon as I get them.
My trainer also bought two mares and a colt from me that should be showing this summer (from intro through first and possibly third). I LOVE being able to watch horses that I bred continue on in the show ring, especially in performance! Very exciting! I just wish I was a good enough rider to go in myself. I really like showing them in hand, but enjoy watching someone else ride them in the shows who can bring out the best in them.
I know that this thread has been buried, but last night a friend reminded me of this. I had posted a couple of photos of my 14.1hh Arab mare who I shared earlier in the thread from one of our rides last week on facebook, and last night a friend (who owns a big WB dressage horse) stopped by the barn and couldn't stop telling me, "I just can't believe she's so little! She looks like such a big horse in your photos!" I think that was a compliment!
Exactly! My trainer used to tell me the same thing. I also get, "If not for the tail... you'd never know she's an Arab." Of course, I'm proud to be on an Arab, but I think that it's supposed to be a complement given the sources it comes from!