The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

I think you nailed that explanation.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

So...even though it doesn't affect me anymore...I vote for a pony division at each show. Not hard to add...cost effective...no one gets jaded...only potentially more entries...creating a strong market for dressage ponies for kids.

On premise (in theory) it works and for large states/areas with a true following, obviously California and I would venture to guess Texas and Florida could muster up, there is a market and entries for it. Here (Arizona) my trailer would make up "the class" with perhaps (and each year it's different ponies) 2-3 being added in but I can promise you that if there are qualifications (ie, you have to ride in x number of tests at x level and those tests have to score above x to be considered - which is how our year end awards usually work) then we get back to the few I can campaign being the only ones in the running. I doubt Arizona is the only state that has a very small, (and I've been here very active on the show scene for 13 years) pony contingent even among the adults. If you relegate it to only those 14.2 and under (ridden by adults) well those in the running just got limited/reduced even further. In fact the one pony (other than mine) that has been shown regularly for the last 3 years is shown by a junior (and she'll be a junior for at least 5 more years). Our GMOs in the area are just not interested in putting together an award when there will only be one or two people or perhaps no one to vie for it. I'm sure if I helped pay for another trophy (like I did for USEF) for HOY I could get the award in it's place but I doubt it would encourage many more adults to ride ponies.

Again I hear the pony people admit that their major market is the adult amateur market but you want to exclude those above 14.2 hands. OK I get it except that your reason for doing so is to have ponies trained by adults, competed by adults in order to encourage a new market in the US - kids riding ponies. Your amateur adult market isn't really going to be the ones training the ponies and selling them at least not the ones I see or hear from. So I believe you are talking about trainers/professionals, riding and competing these ponies, right?

I'm willing to admit I could be wrong and seem to be the only one who keeps on pointing this issue out.......but where is the incentive for kids to ride dressage ponies other than an adult award (to get the pony trained)? fei pony? The trainers here still push the kids towards horses because they're looking at the future of mom and dad's wallet and their own bank account.....and the model seems to continue to be buy schoolmaster, get the kids pointed towards the junior race and then move on to YR. Ponies are NOT included in that model. Hey I thought it was great to see the kids at Gladstone; but, I think it also highlighted at least for those of us who have been paying attention for the last couple of years just how far we have to go to really "create a market".
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a ten year old daughter that thinks dressage is boring--all she really wants to do is jump/event---like her dad. I have a string of very nice dressage appropriate ponies we've developed one even ready to do the FEI Pony Tests and really have not found the rider for him. Im now working on a second pony, with a third and a fourth to follow up the levels---but not seeing the kids showing up in droves to do 'dressage'. What I see is kids that dabble in dressage while pursing other disciplines. So my question is how do we get there from here? I still think even dressage moms/dads/trainers are going to want affordable (and versatile) safe mounts for their kids.

I still think the market is improving but last year I think it was Honeylips and I out there actually holding down the fort (at least in our neighborhood). I did see one other small/medium pony and a handful of other smaller horses---but the ponies are still not out there is vast numbers. At least the numbers to really support a dedicated pony division. I think at Starr Vaughn last year out of some hundred (I dont actually recall the number but the show was sold out) or so entries there were two ponies--one Connemara and one GRP. This I would say was about average for any given show I have been to in the last 9-10 years including championships.

When ponies in general are looked upon as kids' packers, instead of true athletes they are, that can take kids to the next level, you will not have supporters of quality ponies for picking. When the "marketplace" does not exist, you will not have markets. This is simply a case of chicken or egg: when a Walmart does not exist, there will not be shoppers at its parking lot.

goodpony, some kids will love dressage, others will hate it. It is just life. What we need to do is trying not to turn those who do love dressage away, and the most paramount task to that goal is to provide them with suitable ponies. There are so few quality ponies out there that most kids interested in dressage ate put on unsuitable mounts, and that can quickly ruin the their tastes for dressage.

Now you ask how to bring on more quality ponies? Put all the quality ponies together, in one class, one after the other, ridden by adults, and then you will generate interest and excitement from parents to purchase them for their children. Once the wheel is rolling, all you need to do is to guide it along and encourage it here and there. When do Americans travel to auction in Europe to purchase WBs? They utilize such marketing tactic and generating some sort of excitements and enthusiasm. Every year at Morgan Grant Nationals tons of quality Morgans get changed hands. Why? When you have so many quality Morgans all put together in one place, people get excited and wallets start to open. Currently we don't have such venue to generate such excitement for pony, and that is a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post

Oh please (I'm assuming that's pointed at me)
    nope, it wasn't at all

Default OP here: feel like we've gotten off topic

Hey guys, i was the original poster of this thread. It seems like we're getting side tracked with what seems like a separate conversation...any chance we could get back to brags and pics of people's beautiful ponies?

Every single pony posted here is just gorgeous...i can't believe i wasted so much time thinking the only horses for me were above 16 hands

6 members found this post helpful.

I know luvmydutch. I fell into ponies when I could not find a smaller horse. I have gotten over worrying about size and now concentrate on feel. It's a lot of fun for this old lady

Well since I"m one of the ones who side tracked this thread, I'll post more pics (very little prodding is needed). Here is one of my "true" ponies. He's barely 13 hands on his tippy toes. Here we are last week working on half-steps to piaffe.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps2a837652.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps59b5dcf5.jpg

and collected canter

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4eb79d9f.jpg
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

2 members found this post helpful.

He looks so much bigger than 13 hands in pics! What a beautiful boy...love his coloring

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Well since I"m one of the ones who side tracked this thread, I'll post more pics (very little prodding is needed). Here is one of my "true" ponies. He's barely 13 hands on his tippy toes. Here we are last week working on half-steps to piaffe.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps2a837652.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps59b5dcf5.jpg

and collected canter

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4eb79d9f.jpg

Thank you Luvmydutch, true to his breed he's built like a tank. Plus I'm only 5'2".
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I'm late to the party because I am having to completely rebuild my website .... the one that had a bunch of Maxwell's progression photos on it. The original website got caught up in the Anonymous Virus hacker firestorm that happened last month

But, here is the beginning of the rebuild (with Google's esteemed blessing) with a few Maxwell photos on it.

http://ponytaleswebsite.com/pony_training.html

I am going to rebuild his progression page(s) because it shows such a difference in just what giving the pony proper care can do, let alone conditioning .... at the WALK for many miles BEFORE running the pony into the ground with bad shoeing for support

About three years ago I needed to find another horse.

The big difference for me was that I had lost contact with 'horse traders' that I actually trusted, having moved away from an area where I could get all the local gossip easily. So, for the first time in my life I was hunting strictly at 'face value'. I did know many horse traders in the new location that I wanted to avoid, since I had coached and taught in that area for over fours years before taking a complete break from any type of public horse life. I still had horses or a horse, but I purposefully had really stayed away from any kind of competitive 'attitude'.

My God. What an eye opening experience that was !!

BP, so glad your pony is doing so well and making you so happy. He is a doll and simply gorgeous

I know your gelding's breeder, luvmydutch. So glad to see that he has grown into such a wonderful horse for you! His breeder will be very excited to know how he is doing!

Here are a couple of links to pics of the horses that I mentioned who were bred my me but now owned by my trainer, Jennie Deephouse at Dreamfield Manor Farm in Pennsylvania.

The first is of Reahna of Lilac Farms at five years of age (show as REAHNA in USDF shows). Last year she was showing training and first level, with scores up to 69% at rated shows:

http://newhorizonshaflingers.com/Imp...BCHPcanter.JPG

The second is of her full sister, Rosina of New Horizons, who was shown at intro level last year at four years of age with scores up to 79%. (If I remember correctly, she holds the highest median score at 75% out of all horses ever shown at the BCHP in PA.

http://newhorizonshaflingers.com/Ros...onbesttrot.jpg

Not sure if I did the links correctly, so hopefully you can open them. Both horses will be moving up this year and shown at rated shows on the East coast. It's very exciting as the breeder to get to follow their careers and to see how well they are doing! I love it when owners keep in touch and keep me updated, regardless of what direction they decided to take with the horses.
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Very nice, The Golden Snitch!

Looking forward to seeing some full conformation shots of Maxwell, BaroquePony. I like his shots in the photos.

Sorry to hear about the website issue. I don't know what I would do if mine crashed. I can't imagine the hassle of trying to rebuild one.

I breed dressage ponies. Here is a photo of one of my ponies and I. I have no interest in riding the big horses anymore.
    This is Benno's Nor'Easter, aka Stormy and I
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...rmystrot-1.jpg
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../8x10_3479.jpg
    I am not a great dressage rider, I start babies and that is about it. I am having a blast riding him. He has way more talent than I do, lol.
    Last edited by twinlights; Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Oh my! Rosina is stunning. What gorgeous halflingers.

I really love ponies... Who would have thought.

Here is my friend Angela's ponies, Glenhaven Barossa Valley, who is up in NJ and doing PSG. He is in the upper right corner of the photos:

http://glenhavenwelsh.com/section_d_welsh.htm

and here is a video (not professional quality): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGek_kq5EAc
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Thanks so much Perfect Pony! :-) Rosina is my favorite too!

Twin Lights, I really like Stormy! Is he out of Benno's Dream?