The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

https://picasaweb.google.com/1012933...eat=directlink

This is my 14.1 hand Morgan gelding. We dabbled in dressage, and he gave it his all when we did, but his preference was for gaming and jumping. He was the kindest and most forgiving horse. As you can see from some of the pictures, I am in no way a talented dressage rider, but he always tried his hardest to make it look like I knew what I was doing. He passed away in November and I miss him so much every day.

Ponies are definitely the way to go! I don't like to ride anything over 14.3

2 members found this post helpful.

Another one just for the "cuteness" factor--my DD's little grade hony--14.2H, something or other as far as breed--but just the best pony in the world! He's still so very green, but does anything for her. Completely bombproof as well. Best $500 I ever spent. I got him from some "horse camp" place that really is just a horse dealer, but I knew when I saw him he was just perfect for my daughter. This is Lancelot and Kylie: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...92124195_n.jpg

I actually hope to put some more training into him this summer--he's SO easy to get on the bit--and like others have said, very handy. He's quite fun to ride!

1 members found this post helpful.

ARRGGGHHH!!!

Where were all you guys 6yrs ago when I tried to sell my Werigo (Dutch WB)/Arab filly?!?!?

She topped out at just a hair over 15hh, but has/had movement up the wazoo! Excellent mind, perfect feet/legs, BIG engine and heart girth, but not coarse looking. Really nice gal.

I advertised her at 3-4 yrs old for $4000 (I can post this now, because she hasn't been for sale in YEARS) in both the dressage & the endurance market. All I got was (from the endurance market): "$4000!! Are you kidding me!" (hysterical laughter follows)"; and from the dressage market: "Isn't she going to get any bigger?"

Seriously. I had one woman call me every 6 mos for over a year to find out if the mare had grown any more.

When I hauled her to a prospective buyer so her professional could look at her, the pro actually tried to talk her client into buying her but the CLIENT insisted she was just too short. The pro attempted to show her in the arena that my mare's movement was actually just as big and correct as a 16hh horse who happened to be working at the time. But the client would have none of it.

The mare was just too short. Period.

She is now almost 10 yrs old and has really been wasted mostly sitting in my pasture. I liked her too much to just give her away, but the breeding market has been so soft I had enough trouble selling my "regular" dressage stock; didn't want to take a chance breeding outside the box. Still, she should be doing SOMETHING, so this year I might use her for a recip mare...

But if there is now a real market for ponies....well, she would certainly produce a dynamite one...I think she might produce small because her dam is and did. Crossed with a tiny GRP or Welsh A I bet I'd end up with a pony....and a REALLY nice one.

I have to say there are some super adorable little dudes (and dudettes) on this thread!

But can you sell 'em?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    ARRGGGHHH!!!

But if there is now a real market for ponies....well, she would certainly produce a dynamite one...I think she might produce small because her dam is and did. Crossed with a tiny GRP or Welsh A I bet I'd end up with a pony....and a REALLY nice one.

I have to say there are some super adorable little dudes (and dudettes) on this thread!

But can you sell 'em?!
    There isn't a market unless they have a change and have proven scores. The only real pony market is hunters who are willing to buy a green pony, 90 days under tack.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

The unconventionally bred horses have to prove themselves under saddle. They don't have 6 generations of famous ancestors, so they have to prove their own merits through training. I know-- I've got 2 of them. Both of them might be bred for dressage, but their breeding is atypical (e.g. not a Jazz/Weltmeyer/Donnerhall). Now that they both have training on them, I could sell them... but previously? Nah.

I've got a 2007 GRP by Hilkens Black Delight out of a welsh/TB mare. She's fabulous-- "she looks like a Breyer pony!"-- but will NEVER be an average amateur/junior horse. She's quite a bit tougher ride than my 17.3hh KWPN gelding. She's also fearless; she's taken out a rogue German Shepherd, a flock of errant turkeys, several groundhogs, and a covey of quail. Trail riding is an adventure.

I"m afraid tempichange and cnm161 echo my experience and I've been at this for quite a few years. Unless they come from Europe with a brand on their arse and the training to go behind it OR are being marketed by a true marketing machine (there are about 3 welsh breeders who train and sell to the dressage market and get 5 figures on a regular basis) I'm afraid the market is made up of those ammies who want fancy, want easy, want dead until you put the quarter in it and the trainer has ridden it, AND want it cheap ('cause you know it's smaller so smaller market thus smaller price).

I've recently sold one for (the low) 5 figures but it took me 15 months of training (my butt in the saddle from start to finish) to get her sold. She scored in the 70s at recognized shows and had the gaits to go with her. Mostly though, she wasn't a dead head (very sensible though) and I had to wait for that perfect amateur who could ride (viewed a video of her riding before we set up a time for her to see said hony).

I keep hearing about the growing market and like most suckers I continue to breed for that market; BUT, I also back/start and show all of mine. Incidentally my FEI gelding who is now doing P&P and working on the 1's I couldn't give away on free lease which I tried when my daughter left for the other coast to be a working student (oh and that was only 1 year ago, not when he was green at training level). He wasn't of the right blood ya know .
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    I keep hearing about the growing market and like most suckers I continue to breed for that market; BUT, I also back/start and show all of mine. Incidentally my FEI gelding who is now doing P&P and working on the 1's I couldn't give away on free lease which I tried when my daughter left for the other coast to be a working student (oh and that was only 1 year ago, not when he was green at training level). He wasn't of the right blood ya know .
    heh. I'll take him off your hands
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Thanks tempichange. He'd probably like Florida The other one went to the Southeast. Very ironic since I keep getting "them" from over in that direction (long, long haul since I do it straight through both directions). Guess they have to come live with me in the desert for a while before anyone takes notice. Of course those who live in the desert or even the West coast still want something "better".

The German I ride with cannot believe I don't get all of mine approved. She simply doesn't "get" that even if I did that mine would still have to prove themselves in the ring over and over and over. Why spend more money for the same result?
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by exvet View Post
    Thanks tempichange. He'd probably like Florida The other one went to the Southeast. Very ironic since I keep getting "them" from over in that direction (long, long haul since I do it straight through both directions). Guess they have to come live with me in the desert for a while before anyone takes notice. Of course those who live in the desert or even the West coast still want something "better".
    Considering I'm back from FL, he might enjoy Kentucky even more.
    Kelly

We recently sold one for quite a lot of money and two others in the last year (five rides and an unstarted two year) for considerably less (but still my asking price). A lot of interest in the Larger/Overheight ponies with some decent training to back them up. Have had several inquiries for "going" just in the last week. So I dont know--seems like the market may be picking up just a little.

honestly - i think that price has a lot to do with it. a 5k pony will sell a lot faster than a 15k pony. esp if they are "off breeds" and not GRP.

i think that most ammies want something already trained and showing what they can do.... altho there are some of us that like to do it ourselves so will buy younger

i also think it isn't the bloodlines so much as the horse in front of you - i also think arabs as dressage horses will be a harder sell in general.

in the end it all comes down to marketing.... those that know how to market can and will sell a pony for 3 or more times what it would fetch elsewhere.

and finally, no matter what the price, it takes years to know if what you bought (or sold!) has what it takes to go up the levels....

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    We recently sold one for quite a lot of money and two others in the last year (five rides and an unstarted two year) for considerably less (but still my asking price). A lot of interest in the Larger/Overheight ponies with some decent training to back them up. Have had several inquiries for "going" just in the last week. So I dont know--seems like the market may be picking up just a little.
    And, I'm curious, what do folks want to pay for "going". I've got one that is quite "going", just won a state title...never been done by a pony before, is QUITE fancy...but I sure wouldn't give him away. He's a special one! Not really for sale, but one of those that *if* someone had the right situation and the right amount of $$...ya never know....

Dune, get the right person on your ponies back, with slick marketing, doing 2nd level work, and I bet you are looking at 30 to 50k here in CA.

But I have seen marketing and the right people are key.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Dune, get the right person on your ponies back, with slick marketing, doing 2nd level work, and I bet you are looking at 30 to 50k here in CA.

But I have seen marketing and the right people are key.
    serious? 50k for a 2nd level pony?

i would of guessed 15 - 25 tops. but maybe i am out of touch with prices!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    and finally, no matter what the price, it takes years to know if what you bought (or sold!) has what it takes to go up the levels....
    This is the reason that both my husband and I both train and compete on homebreds--It does take a long while to know what you have, but also it keeps us active in the discipline. It makes a huge difference "knowing' what it really takes to produce and compete in the real world.

in keeping with the spirit of the thread here is another of our ponies who has competed successfully through Third Level: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

And another who has won numerous High Scores through First (getting ready to go 2nd and doing some Novice Eventing: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

We are talking about a pony who won cds champion, open, and is fancy enough to win up through the levels, and if under 14.2 could be a fancy hunter pony. This is not a average pony. Heck I saw one yesterday I would pay the 50k asking price on if I had it! But again, these are not average or above average, they are little super stars.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tempichange View Post
    There isn't a market unless they have a change and have proven scores. The only real pony market is hunters who are willing to buy a green pony, 90 days under tack.
    Or you find the rare person like myself who adores ponies and would rather not ride or own anything over 14.1 hands and likes to start my own or purchase fairly green. Unfortunately anything really nice is out of my price range at the moment so I'm sticking to what I can find locally but I've spent a lot of time drooling over many of the ponies and breeders that have come up here. Luckily my career is going somewhere and I foresee being able to widen my price range in the next several years.
    My little girl, Katai - 13.2 Haflinger/?
    and her blog

Yes - I am operating in this range for training/first level imported ponies. FEI ponies - 2x or 3x is the going rate. A good FEI pony (2nd level, no changes) in Europe will cost over 50K US dollars. A pony trained to FEI (PSG and up) will be in the 6 figures - no sweat.

As well you are looking at 10K in import ALONE to get one of these really good GRPs here from Germany - so unless the pony is free in Germany 15K isn't going to work....

Ponies in Europe command the same prices quality wise as their full sized counterparts.

Here in the USA as well. If they look, feel and have the quality of movement, competitiveness and training of a 16.2 hand horse - you will pay the same price.
    We don't sell them by the inch - so if they are shorter they are cheaper - doesn't apply.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by honeylips View Post
    Yes - I am operating in this range for training/first level imported ponies. FEI ponies - 2x or 3x is the going rate. A good FEI pony (2nd level, no changes) in Europe will cost over 50K US dollars. A pony trained to FEI (PSG and up) will be in the 6 figures - no sweat.
    Much agreed.

I had a European give a good offer for my pony- I it turned away (she's not for sale and will retire out in the next few years). The offer was a lowball six figure.

The moral equivalent is the hunter game. A pony that has a change, is kid safe and proven at the A circuit is easily five plus figures.
    Kelly

Agree with tempi change. I have had 2 offers on my stallion in the mid-6 figures as well that I won't accept.

I know of a lovely GP trained pony in europe, kid safe, 11yo, recently sold for 350,000$ (250,000 euros) to Spain.

As a buyer - you have to take the "its a pony" out of the equation. If it will compete successfully against the "big horses" the price point is the same. Heck - we ought to be able to get more money since they won't kill your back and neck, are easier to ride, the ground is closer and they eat less!
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion

3 members found this post helpful.