The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Oh Crap My DH Just Found Out How Much I Really Spend *Update Pics! Post 71

Ugh, my trainer called my husband with a steal of a deal on a colt I have been drooling over for the past two years. She quoted him a monthly cost and said that I pay that anyway with my lease, clinic and shows. He is okay with the price of the colt but now there are questions that need answers! Maybe if I buy his favorite beer and have him drink a few before the Q & A starts I still have a chance?
    Last edited by rizzodm; Sep. 28, 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added Pics
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

1 members found this post helpful.

Man. I feel for you. May require more than a beer. Buy him a canoe?
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

41 members found this post helpful.

I swear there should be trainer/client privilege for these sorts of situations.

41 members found this post helpful.

How does anybody that's married not know where the money is going?

13 members found this post helpful.

I would kill my trainer. Though she does know better than to tell Rob anything about prices. Also our finances are separate so not like he knows what I spend anyway.

Though we were at an event and he saw a saddle that he said looked like mine. In fact it was the same brand and model and everything. He walked over to me and said in a stage whisper, "Babe can you believe that they are asking $4,000 for that saddle? I mean it is just like yours but you didn't pay $4,000! What a rip!" I think I was beet red when I responded, "Yeah I mean I paid less than $4,000." I left off the part that I paid $200 less but well you know.

I think he would have a heart attack if he realized what I spent on my horses.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tinah View Post
    My husband does not look at our checking account. Our marriage is a lot happier this way.

26 members found this post helpful.

Exactly. That sort of thing you just don't keep a secret. It boggles my mind why people feel the need to hide their hobbies expenses from their partner.

My hubby knows exactly what I spend on my horses and I know how much money goes on his!

16 members found this post helpful.

haha! RIP!
    Forward is Good.. Progress is Better: BlunderBlog
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

7 members found this post helpful.

If its your DH’s $$ - I second the canoeing trip, or maybe canoing with a sammich. Oh wait, didn’t someone else say that once upon a time in another thread (my favourite thread of all time) which shall remain nameless?

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Man. I feel for you. May require more than a beer. Buy him a canoe?
    Paddle your heart out, girlfriend!

FWIW, my husband and I each have our own separate accounts. Makes for a happier marriage, IME.
    Ulysses- the most perfect all-terrain vehicle ever. Hencho en Mexico

Mr. Walter Bumblepants - Foster Dog Extraordinaire

12 members found this post helpful.

Mine lets me keep my paychecks, but since he keeps all the records, does our taxes and, balances my checkbook every once in a while, he knows exactly what I spend on the horses. Its the reason he won't let me stop working.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.

Lol, you guys are killing me. My DH is happy with cold beer, a full belly, lots of canoe rides, and the occasional pro ball game outing. He likes me doing the finances so he doesnt have to worry about it he just didn't realize $$$ I've been spending.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

8 members found this post helpful.

In all fairness and honesty, I hide it somewhat as well. I opened up a separate horse expense account.

I work hard and if I need to do this to justify it, so be it. Buying this horse was one of the best decisions I ever made and I really needed him. And I am blissfully happy. Can't put a price tag on that. Rather, you can, and we all have, but sometimes seeing the black and white can steal my sunshine.

But I'm not even married-I hide it from mySELF. Sigh
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

22 members found this post helpful.

My DH has NO idea!!!! he has his race bike I have a horse. That said we don't share any money other then( "House Bills") i.e. mortgage, ele, phone and stuff and we take turns buying groceries. We have a don't ask don't tell thing going.

8 members found this post helpful.

OK so since the cats out of the bag so to speak. I suggest digging out your paddles go white water rafting , and go buy the colt. But hey thats just me.

6 members found this post helpful.

This may be the title that has made me laugh the hardest on COTH!

My husband is with most of the other posters' husbands here. He lives in a state of naïve bliss by his own choosing. Like others, I do what I can to hide the costs, and we both stay happy that way...so "don't ask, don't tell" is alive and well in this house too!

Of course after 13 years of marriage he's figured out how to work "the system" (aka me) and now has a fancy new motorcycle and I have to smile and nod every time he says he "needs" something new for it

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    My DH has NO idea!!!! he has his race bike I have a horse. That said we don't share any money other then( "House Bills") i.e. mortgage, ele, phone and stuff and we take turns buying groceries. We have a don't ask don't tell thing going.
    See, that works out fine in my head. It's just the thought of spending joint money without telling the other person. . . .it doesn't sit well with me. I don't work outside the home, and hubby is mostly in charge of the money, but he lets me know when he buys a new work tool, even if its just $35. That said, we bought the farm together and if I said, for instance, we need to send pookie off for 30 days training and it's $650, he'd make sure it happens.

3 members found this post helpful.

SH and I don't share money. We have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about money and horses. We're both happier that way.

I am stunned with the posts about DH "letting" you do something. I can't imagine either of us "letting" the other one do anything.

We're adults. We make joint decisions and we make independent decisions. I can't imagine being financially dependent on someone else and I can't imagine having to get approval for something I wanted to do.

14 members found this post helpful.

Its not a secret but we definitely live in "don't ask don't tell" land..

5 members found this post helpful.

Personally I'd be inclined to give my trainer an earful.

Now deal with the fallout as gracefully as possible.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.