The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Long vs Short roll -- wolfgang solo

So I've had the opportunity to ride in a wolfgang solo, and loved it (Buffalo leather, no less). My budget won't accommodate the buffalo version, but I am scouring the internet for a good deal on a used WS. I have not had the opportunity to ride in the short roll version; how do they compare? I'm a shorter rider and need all the help I can get with my position and lengthening my leg.

Any experiences with the short roll vs. long roll?

I honestly think it has to do with the length of your thigh versus the length of your leg and how your legs fall around the horse. If you look at Heather Blitz with her mile-long legs, her thigh is right against the short roll on Paragon. I've sat in the short roll on a horse and my thigh wasn't against the roll at all. I've sat/ridden in the longer roll, plus some of the County long external rolls and those fit my conformation pretty well and were comfortable to ride in (although I bet I'd feel trapped if I were built like Heather).

Do you live near tack shops? Can you try to sit in a couple? If you have a little extra $$, can you pay to "trial" a short roll to see if you like it?

Good luck! I like these saddles- they are always on my radar!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

This is a great questions because I was wondering about the short roll myself. I had a Buffalo long roll that I had for 7 mo but sold it...the roll was too restrictive especially if my stirrups were adjusted where they needed to be. So sold it...I have a very long femur and am 5'8 with average weight if that helps. But I wonder if the short roll is better suited for longer legs?

I usually end up with eventers, thicker thighed, shorter people in the short roll and straight dressage riders, super-thin thighs in the long roll. But that's a lot of different factors going on. If anyone has knee problems, it's a no-brainer - they're in the short roll and we'll make it work ! The short roll is angled forward more - so it's a less severe straight-legged position.

Generally, long legged people like the long roll, but there again, I have 2 long legged riders who feel overly restricted in the LR, and prefer the SR, with the block just working on their upper thigh. I also have a bigger, eventer who I can not prise out of her LR.

I would say that your best bet is to find one that you can afford, and make sure you can try it and return it if you hate it.

Remember that the correct fit of the saddle on your horse will greatly affect the position of the knee roll relative to your leg.

I have a Wolfgang Solo with the short block. It fits me great! I am only 5'3 but am very long hip to knee, so maybe that is why it works for me. I love it!

I've ridden in both and liked the short roll (but it's been a while since I rode in the long roll). The owner of my lease horse has a short roll for him that good for her arthritic hips because of the narrow twist (horse is too wide for her though) and now I helped stalk the internet to find one for her daughter/my friend. It's a regular leather and she loves it. I think it was about $1,800 on Fine Used Saddles. We are all around 5'3" to 5'5" and pretty average sized and sit fine in the saddles. As a side note- they are 17.5" and with the deep seat I would probably prefer an 18 if I were buying one so I had some room to move around.

I prefer the short blocks. But really, if the saddle is well balanced and the angle/shape of the block fits you, it shouldn't really matter much.
    What you don't want is being restricted/pushed back in the knee, that is where the proplems usually starts.

Very interesting... I would've thought long legged people would like the short roll, and shorties would like the long...

I'm 5'1 and not slim. I have arthritic knees but they don't bug me unless I ride with too-short stirrups. The 17" long roll I rode in felt a smidge constricting.

It appears I have the opportunity to pick up an 18" long roll, but I'm not sure if the size will be too big? I assumed a 17.5 would be just perfect, but I know I need to sit in it. I just hate shipping saddles all over just to try, or bugging my custom rep when I'm not serious about paying retail prices...

Very interesting... I would've thought long legged people would like the short roll, and shorties would like the long...

I'm 5'1 and not slim. I have arthritic knees but they don't bug me unless I ride with too-short stirrups. The 17" long roll I rode in felt a smidge constricting.

It appears I have the opportunity to pick up an 18" long roll, but I'm not sure if the size will be too big? I assumed a 17.5 would be just perfect, but I know I need to sit in it. I just hate shipping saddles all over just to try, or bugging my custom rep when I'm not serious about paying retail prices...

There's also a 17" short roll available.

I guess I need to lose the weight I've gained this last year sooner than later!

There's also a 17" short roll available.

I guess I need to lose the weight I've gained this last year sooner than later!

What type of saddle do you ride in now?

I would choose a larger seat. I have always ridden in a 17.5" but the seat is so deep in that saddle that I really could use an 18". I mean I can make a 17.5 work but if it were my money... I'm 5'4" and 155lbs with a decent size booty if that helps any. My knee comes under the short block well- I have a picture somewhere of me riding in it if you want to send me your email via PM.

I got back into riding after 2 years off and 30 lb weight gain. So my 16.5" Passier is on consignment, and I currently ride in a 17.5" mondega jump saddle.

I'm 5'2 and spiked up to 170lbs when in training for my job. This time last year, I was 150...

Warumnicht, I'll PM you!

Thanks everybody for the insight. My trainer is suggesting that the 18 would probably be fine and if not, there's someone locally go would probably buy. Plus there's a trial offered, so minimal risk regardless..

I just need to confirm the flap length....

Sounds to me that you are absolutely crying out for a 17.5 Buff SR Solo.

I own a 17" long roll. I am 5'7" and 130 lb. and I will be honest there are very few times I notice the roll.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Sounds to me that you are absolutely crying out for a 17.5 Buff SR Solo.
    Don't think I can afford the buffalo version! But I'm thinking I'll try the 18" coming my way (if the flaps aren't longer than 16") and if I don't like it I'll search for the SR. I've only seen 17" SRs recently (I'm looking at used or demo saddles because of budget).

I usually ride in Albions, and love them, but I got a chance to ride in several different Wolfgang Solos in Florida and really liked the balance and feel of them. I scoped around and found a Buffalo leather WS 17" in a short roll from Farmhouse tack and ended up paying $1200. It need some flocking and maybe a bit of a tree adjustment, we'll see, but I rode in it the other day, really liked it and better yet, my very picky gelding seemed to like it. I am 5'2" 115 pounds, and even in my winter riding overpants, my knee came no where near the short roll, but yet I felt very balanced and secure in my position. My gelding let out a little buck, since he hasn't been ridden in a few months because he was being rehabbed, I hardly felt it. The custom saddles are nice because they are adjustable in the tree, unlike my Albions, which are not very adjustable...

So you're the lucky duck who got that! I didn't think it actually looked like buffalo leather from the pics, but $1200 is a steal! Makes me think I should've held out for a better deal myself ($1700, not buffalo). I've got an almost perfect near new 17" short roll on its way. It might be snug, will have to see, but its exactly the motivation I need to lose the weight I put on last year. And I can return it if need be...

I'm assuming you just got yours recently, and its the same one listed recently for $1500 at farmhouse tack?

I guess I should post an update -- I rode is BO's 17" buffalo long roll this past week, and found my leg up on the roll and my knee wanted more space. The seat felt fine as far as balance, though it will help to lose some pudge. I've got a near new almost perfect 17" short roll coming my way in the not too distant future, so fingers crossed. I put on 20 lbs (ack!) last year when I started a new job, so now I've got serious motivation to take it off

Yes, that's the one. I didn't think it was Buffalo either, but it definitely has the grained leather on the back of the canter and around the thigh rolls, I talked to Custom and they ssaid it sounded like Buffalo leather to them. I have CW Saddlery coming out in a few weeks to tweak it to my gelding, just rode in it again today and really love it. I rode my other gelding in my SLK today, and now I don't like it as much as the Custom saddle...oh boy!

I actually just purchased a Wolfgang solo and I LOVE IT!!!! I actually got it through Dressage Extensions (Dover has them also). It's the same saddle just minus the buffalo leather. Also, Custom carries them 'off the shelf' without the buffalo leather for a reasonable price. Before I purchased it, I spoke with Fred from Custom. He recommended I get the LONG knee roll - as, although I'm 5'7", I have a short leg (I'm all torso). He told me usually shorter legged people are more comfortable in the the long knee roll and people with longer legs prefer the short knee roll. Reason being if you have long legs, the long knee roll with interfere with your leg, and if you have short legs and ride with a short knee roll your leg wont reach it. It also depends on how much contact you like with the knee roll.... It's a great saddle!!!! I'm thrilled with how comfortable it is! I feel secure, yet completely unrestricted. I also love the position it puts me in! Just a great saddle!

1 members found this post helpful.