The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Who is in "rehab" at the moment?

No, not that kind of rehab... The kind where your horse was lame/injured/ill and you're hoping to get him sound and back to serious work again.

I did not show my horse at all last year due to ongoing hind end lameness issues. We entered one show early in the season and scratched at the last minute. I worked with a vet/farrier team but could never get him fully sound (new shoes, stifle/hock injections, chiro, new saddle, drugs, supplements, etc. etc.). There were good stretches and then things would deteriorate again.

All the while he was happy to go to work and appeared to enjoy and look forward to his lessons, eagerly offering to perform the latest fun thing. He learned tempis (4s, 3s and 2s) and was trying very hard at the pirouettes but really struggling with the collection.

A trainer change in the fall clarified a lot of things, and I finally decided to take him the vet school for a bone scan.

Oh, boy, did he ever light the place up. They found a kissing spine lesion involving t17-18, sacroiliac and hock arthritis. The hocks were no surprise, and the SI seemed likely, but the kissing spine was a zinger.

Anyway, because his hocks had just been injected in mid-December, they left those alone and injected the back and both SI joints. That was two weeks ago today. I longed him last Saturday ... he got all goofy and slipped and fell -- luckily didn't seem to hurt himself but it was the last thing he needed. Then with my work schedule and two big snowstorms, I wasn't able to do anything with him this week.

He's been wearing his Back-on-track sheet non-stop, is scheduled for massage and acupuncture and is on all kinds of stuff -- Pentosan, Previcox, Lubrisyn, MSM. He's beautifully shod and has a naughty gleam in his eye.

Tomorrow I will ride him for the first time since the injections. Judgment Day is upon us.

Who else has a horse "under construction" and how is it going? Mjhco, how is Shade coming along? Anyone else?

No horsie no more but I just want to send crossed fingers to you for a sound and uneventful ride tomorrow. Wow, what a rough setback--this stuff I do not miss at all. Jingling that you both will make your way back to those tempis

Essie is recovering from being ill. Last August we returned from a show. She seemed tired but okay when we got back. On Tuesday I got a text and call from the BO that she wasn't eating or drinking. The chiro was there and checked Essie. Essie's ulcer points were flaming hot. Chiro wrote me a script and sent me off the gastrogard. After 4 days there was very little improvement so I took her into another vet. He pulled blood and scoped Essie. The bloodwork was wonky to say the least. The most unusual piece was the liver. It was way out of kilter. The scoping showed a stomach full of ulcers. Essie was hospitalized for the better part of a week. (BTW, Shade was there during the time Essie was hospitalized.) We did a month of gastrogard. All seemed fine for about a month and a half. Then Essie colicked 3 times: the first was moderate in severity, the second was fairly severe and the third was mild. Essie was put on gastrogard again as well as neigh lox. After the second colic she was scoped again and the results were questionable. She stayed on gastrogard/ulcer guard for 2 months. We are just finishing the weaning process. That has been a bumpy road until it was suggested by another vet to try Rite Trac.
    What a change in her demeanor! and best of all she eats is and goes back to lick the bowel! There are 4 vets total that have seen her and 3 of them are actively trying to figure this out. Essie is back to work. She seems to be doing much better. Acupuncture has helped her. Essie's diet has changed drastically; some is temporary and some is permanent. I'm very encouraged by the last few weeks.

Thank you. He can do tempis on three legs so that is not a problem. He is so smart and willing and fun that I have to at least try.

I have five horses and the only one that isn't somehow out order yet is just coming three. I will get to start him under saddle and hope that all the years spent training my older horse will benefit him and he won't be subjected to the same mistakes (only new mistakes).

Oh, wow. Poor Essie! It sounds like she is well on the road to recovery. Good luck.

Do you live around the Palmer Divide?

I'm rehabing a long bone fracture that was positioned above a puncture through to the knee joint capsul (that then transitioned to a cellulitis infection and 8 days in ICU). After 3 months in a stall, he's now hand-walking 15 mins a day. His rehab has included a series of shock way therapy treatments and acuscope treatments. He has been exceptional during his stall confinement. He is becoming explosive to hand walk so we were given permission to walk him under saddle just yesterday in hopes that his training brain will over step the desire to be a fire breathing dragon. He's only been shown through I1 but he's schooled through GP. He has a very calm persona which is what saved him throught the stall confinement period. But even dragons come out of their caves and the internal fire it takes to perform the GP movements wasn't extinguished so the bucks, rears, and strikes while being hand-walked are not a surprise. Prior to the injury, he was on previcox which will resume once he is cleared to trot under saddle, potentially in one month. I was afraid he'd loose all of his body condition due to the inactivity and confinement but he looks way better than I would have thought at this point, now 4 months post break. Fingers crossed, if his re-hab stays on track, he may be showing as soon as mid-June.

Thanks, Larkspur! I'm hopeful. It's been a very bumpy ride.
    I do have to say that this BB helped me a lot. I gave me questions to ask the vet; and helped me to add vets as needed.
    The big question for Essie is whether or not she can handle the stress of showing. We are working on the liver issues now. Oh, new bloodwork showed very good liver values. They only weird value left was the packed cells: 48%. They ran them twice.
    One of the more interesting things through all of this was that Essie never looked sick; good weight, shiney coat. The only real variable was her appetite.

We are in the Black Forest area.

Tempi's on 3 legs..... Go figure. Essie is throwing them at me on circles. When Janet is there she throws ones in for good measure. Silly girl!

Ah, well I rode in the Black Forest today at a friend's barn.

The ride was good, horse wanted to go Go GO. I kept it fairly short and conservative, focusing on stretching and limbering as much as possible. I tested out the sitting trot for a minute or two and there was a nice boing going on there. He's still muscle sore over his croup but does feel better. I do not trust my judgment, though, so I'll need to take him for a lesson and see what my instructor thinks.

snow horse -- ouch! My horse does not tolerate confinement and I'm sure would tear the barn down.

Snow horse, all my digits are crossed for you! A broken bone has got to be every horse owners nightmare. I don't know how Essie would react to your situation. She has a 'tude on a good day.

Hi Larkspur, I am also in CO rehabbing two injured horses out of the four I own. One who did a slight avulsion fx LF in Nov, and another with hoof issues (abscess, trimmed to short causing the circumflex to shut down) since Sep. I'm in Franktown/Elizabeth area.

Jingles to all for speedy recoveries this Spring!

Quote Originally Posted by lv4running View Post
    Hi Larkspur, I am also in CO rehabbing two injured horses out of the four I own. One who did a slight avulsion fx LF in Nov, and another with hoof issues (abscess, trimmed to short causing the circumflex to shut down) since Sep. I'm in Franktown/Elizabeth area.
    Well, I guess the veterinary practices in our area are healthy. Wishing yours a speedy recovery, and welcome to the Broken Horse Club of the Front Range.

My sister put it bluntly: "So, four of your five horses are lame or broken?" Me: "Yes, 80 percent of them." At least I can ride two of them -- speaking of which, off I go...

My TB mare had her EPM we treated over three years ago relapse at the end of last year. So after treating her, we are in the rehab phase. Luckily I caught it early and she seems to be doing well after treatment.
    So far we are back under saddle for about 2 months now. Doing lots of walk and trotting, plus in hand cavelletti work to get her to use her hind end (right hind most affected). The canter had been where the worst problems had been with ataxia, so I have been slow bringing that back. Lots of lunge line work just letting her decide how she needed to balance her body again. Finally she looked good enough to get the trainer up on her and try cantering under saddle. Still a tad four beated to the left, but the right was balanced enough for right now.
    I have kept her on the high dose Vit E, and other immune boosters. Since I am a massage therapist I have been doing bodywork with her when I am able.
    Only major concern still there is now we are noticing that their might be some issue with her vision on the left side. Now how long that has been there and does it relate to the EPM is unknown. But tracking right she will turn her whole head/neck to the outside like she is trying to see with her right eye. To the left she doesn't do this...only when left eye is to the outside. She even does this to in the round pen during liberty work.
    Vet said he wouldn't be surprised if the EPM had affected the optic nerve, but on evaluation the eye looks normal. Retesting the blood work to make sure we made a dent in the EPM and do not need additional treatment.
    But he said keep riding her and increasing her work as she is able and comfortable.

If the eye is compromised there is really not much to be done about it. Just lots of time working with her and getting her where she is okay with it, and trusts me to watch out for her.
    Hoping to maybe be back at shows (dressage schooling shows) late this summer and do training level. Just something nice and easy to get her back out and doing things.
    Free and Forward Motion through Massage Therapy
    www.amandastarrbodywork.com