The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OTTB Prospects for Sale Cincy/Lexington area?

I'm in the market for an OTTB prospect, sound to jump. My max budget is $3,000. Know of any good contacts for horses or trainers around the Cincinnati or Lexington area? Thank you!

Have you tried New Vocations? I got my OTTB there many years ago. It was a bit of a drive but totally worth it.

Second New Vocations despite it being a drive from Cincy. They have a good reputation in letting down, evaluating and restarting. Lets you see what you are getting and can save some missteps.
    There are a few others but, IMO, NV has more experience, better contacts to obtain better horses off the track and does a better job with the restart training.

There are some trainers who also pick them off the track and restart them but those tend to be a little more then your budget.

There are also a couple to stay well clear of, search the forums or ask on here keeping in mind they can change the farm name. Search trainer name.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I purchased a really nice filly from Joe Poole several years ago. He was at River Downs at the time. I know he does travel back and forth from Beulah in Columbus, or he used to. He was very honest and easy to work with. PM me if you would like his number.

You also may try the CANTER trainer listings to see what may be available in your preferred area.