The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do scat mats work to keep the dog off the couch?

Ok, me bad in that the dog is allowed on the couch and 2 chairs in the family room. Heck they were bought in '72 and don't owe me anything and the only time I'm in the FR is to use the computer.

BUT, I have a lovely new cream-colored leather couch and new pastel fabric chair in the living room that dog is NOT allowed on. I've tried putting some large plastic bags on the couch seat area to deter her but to no avail. I don't see her get up on the couch but I've caught her on the chair a few times. I think she hops up on the couch so she can see out the window.

So, basically do scat mats stop them from getting on the furniture?

Any other suggestions would help as well. I can put throws over the furniture but I honestly really hate the look. I could also get the pet covers I've seen in the Foster and Smith catalogs but I really don't want to do that as it just encourages her to get up there.

Dog is an 12 yr old Shar-pei/terrier mix that I adopted last yr from a no-kill shelter. She had been there for 6 yrs. She's very sweet, and really does try to please and really is a quick learner.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Smile

I am going to use my very first post here to say that they are an awesome training tool!!

We don't even turn them on anymore - we just lay them down and the cats and dog stay well away :-)

Training them is similar to what you do for training for invisible fencing. You can YouTube some quick training videos...it's really simple. And it works - even when you're not home!

PS. You can forget about training the cats....they just have to learn on their own.

Good luck :-)

ETA - start with the lowest setting and work up if you need to.

They do work really well.

My older dog used to jump at the windowsills to the point where he would
    literally rip the drywall apart. I cannot crate this dog as he freaks out
    and is terrified.

So I got a couple of scat mats, and put them on the floor in front of the
    windows. It took a couple times, but he learned to stay off the windows/
    walls. After a while, even if the batteries were dead, he would stay
    away.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll see about ordering at least one for the couch. I really wouldn't care except I don't want her nails to cut the leather and I don't want the oil in her coat to eventually stain the chair. If I can remember with the chair, I could just turn the footstool over on top of the seat. Just gotta remember!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!