The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tough/powerful clippers?

So, I ran into this issue last year. I have NOTHING that will cut through donkey hair . Other than the big Osters, but those obviously won't work on his legs; two sets of regular clippers tried and failed. I was at least able to get the clippers through his face fuzz but they left horrible tracks. And these are $$$ Andis. Can't remember the model, they are the cord/cordless kind. And the blades were in great shape.

Thoughts? I think I might get away with not clipping my big guy, but Odie grew a substantial coat yet again this year. I don't want him looking like a cracked out Poodle again this summer... He looked ridiculous last year. Even the farrier was like *facepalm*.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

You might just try scissors on the legs- you'd be surprised how good it can be (as opposed to the alternative.) I lol'ed about your farrier facepalm.

Scissors? Oh I dunno....

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Sheep shears?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Why won't Osters work on the legs? I use them on my horses/ponies...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Too big. He's 31'' tall, and my Osters are the big ones. I could hair off for the sake of getting hair off, but I don't think it would look good at all. Plus I'd have to go with the hair instead of against.

That's not a bad idea though. He's significantly more used to being handled than he was last year when he got clipped...

I have used my Lister Star clippers on my mini donk for years. I don't clip legs, ears, or face because of bugs. She has a coat like a buffalo, so I clip her because she would be miserable in the summer if I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kch7238 View Post
    I have used my Lister Star clippers on my mini donk for years. I don't clip legs, ears, or face because of bugs. She has a coat like a buffalo, so I clip her because she would be miserable in the summer if I didn't.
    Yeah, we don't have such a bug problem, but he was so...fluffy...that leaving the hair on his legs and face looked like I was TRYING to make a fashion statement. I'm moving to a new barn in a couple weeks, and I don't want anyone to think I am some sort of weirdo when I clip in a month or two . I am already going to labeled as such, bringing a mini donk in as a companion animal anyways

A Nair dip?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Nekkie donkey...gawd, probably just as awful as the nekkie bear picture that has been circulating.

Just asking, but do you wash him before clipping? My clippers work a LOT better on clean animals, and probably would be better with clean donkey hair.

A friend used the Double K, shaft driven clippers on her mules. Said it was the only thing that worked well with their coarse winter, mule hair, in getting the nice cut she wanted on them. Mule hair is almost like donkey hair, not quite as fluffy, doesn't shed off until July, for about a week, before starting on the new winter coat! She hunted them, so she needed them clipped to prevent overheating. She also liked how much EASIER to groom they were when body clipped year around.

Those Double K's are a small handheld unit, use the A5 sized blades, but the wall hung motor has various settings you can crank it up to for power. I have one that I bought for the dog clipping on my own dog, and they are quite powerful. You just have to get used to that drive shaft on the end of the cutter unit, as you manuever the clipper unit around.

http://www.doublekindustries.com/401belt_details.php

I got mine used, so they were less expensive. I do see them at tack sales locally. Nice that they don't ever seem to get hot in your hands. I have a VERY hairy dog. Almost no noise in the cutting action for spooky or silly animals you are trimming.

Wow nice! I clip three or four critters a year with my 14 year old Osters... I may need this investment. I can't find them for sale anywhere but Schneiders and Valley Vet. I still run into the size issue though with the donk. Getting those bigger clippers into little nooks and crannies might be difficult.

ETA: eBay, nevermind! Score...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Too big. He's 31'' tall, and my Osters are the big ones. I could hair off for the sake of getting hair off, but I don't think it would look good at all. Plus I'd have to go with the hair instead of against.

That's not a bad idea though. He's significantly more used to being handled than he was last year when he got clipped...
    I clip my draft's legs with the big clippers, and I go against the hair. If he'll let you, pick up his legs to clip the really hard to reach parts. I get a really decent clip even with the huge clippers, and you could do clean up with smaller clippers once the worst of it is out of the way.