The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    This, although an Event prospect (age 5) is more what I think of when hunter and Saddlebreds are mentioned in the same sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpimjy9kZaQ

Just a different perspective or maybe preference from the breed show ideal. Nothing wrong with either of them.
    That's much closer to what I picture when I think hunter & saddlebred.

The judging needs a serious overhaul on many levels, not just hunter CP.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    . . .
    The judging needs a serious overhaul on many levels, not just hunter CP.

That's probably true throughout the disciplines if you think about it. Hunters that haven't ever seen hounds and wouldn't behave if they did, park horses that haven't ever been to a park and are never ridden outside a confined area, it goes on like that.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Well, I just don't know what to say anymore. I have Saddlebreds that show saddle seat, I have saddlebreds that show hunter seat, I have Morgans that show hunter pleasure and Morgans that show hunter sport horse. Regardless of what discipline the horse is in, it should be a representative of its breed. I would not want to see an ASB hunter looking like a grade horse. I should be able to look at it and know that it is a saddlebred. The same goes for Morgans.

If it is not recognizeable as its breed then it is not a good representation of its breed.

VTdobes, you say your morgan doesn't do well at Regional shows, was that over fences or was than in pleasure classes. Have you tried the sport horse classes at Natinoals? They look for judges with actual sport horse backgrounds at Nationals. I am probably taking a couple of sport horses and a couple of pleasure horses to nationals this year.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I should have posted this earlier, this is the Facebook page for promoting saddlebred hunters and trying to get them added to our World Championship horse show.

https://www.facebook.com/andrea.whit...51216911643775

You can see a lot of other ASB hunter country pleasure horses and ASB sport horses on this page.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Amwrider, so you're saying you don't like Arvo? He doesn't scream ASB, except for the ears a little, but he sure looks like a nice, willing, capable horse that anyone interested in eventing would take a look at. I think he's a good representative of the breed.
    Incredible Invisible

Arvo looks saddlebred to me, never said I didn't like him. He does not have the typical ASB neck/shoulder but he still has the saddlebred look.

I do think that if the horse does have the typical saddlebred neck and shoulder you shouldn't try to minimize what he was born with in order to try to make him look "more traditional" HUS.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    VTdobes, you say your morgan doesn't do well at Regional shows, was that over fences or was than in pleasure classes. Have you tried the sport horse classes at Natinoals? They look for judges with actual sport horse backgrounds at Nationals. I am probably taking a couple of sport horses and a couple of pleasure horses to nationals this year.
    I said she "wouldn't" do well in Morgan Hunter Pleasure classes. Nationals? OKC is FAR to far away for us to travel!

She would however be competitive in the carriage division. But again...too far away and way too much stuff to drag along with us!

Just once at least you should go, very, very fun and amazing and an incredible exerience.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Ultimately, the problem here is that people get offended when someone else's version of hunters doesn't match their own. That's WHY there are so many disciplines and breeds available in the horse world. You can find something that matches YOUR idea of what horseback riding should be. Why not just be happy with the corner you have picked for yourself and enjoy your martini? What is the purpose of going and slamming someone else's idea of enjoying their horses? If you don't like it, don't DO it. Really, it's just that easy.

Also, keep in mind that just because a horse moves like a country/classic horse doesn't mean the discipline for them is saddleseat. There are more factors than movement to consider when deciding if a horse is country or hunter. And some horses are just plain HAPPIER as a hunter than a country horse. We have one of those in the barn right now. She has the movement and neck to do really well in English Pleasure, but she is soooooooo much happier in hunter pleasure. A horse's job and way of going are products of conformation, temperament, and training.

I have two Arabian/Saddlebred crosses. Just bought my mare My gelding does dressage, sporthorse under saddle, and is being started over fences. My mare does dressage, sport horse show hack, and main ring hunter. She has done well in open dressage shows, not just Arab shows. All it takes are a few adjustments in how I'm riding her, and she will go into full saddle seat mode, and easily trots level. She's flat shod, btw. She will happily come right back down into hunter or dressage mode when I ask her. There is a LOT of fun in riding a horse like that, and I learn TONS from this mare every single time I'm on her back.

I enjoy both sporthorse and main ring hunters. Each for very different reasons. No one is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to use a certain bit. I make that decision based on what is required for the combination of the horse I'm riding and the job we're doing. If I don't agree with something, I don't have to do it. If a horse goes best in a double, so be it. If they go best in a rubber snaffle, that's fine.

In the end, there is PLENTY of stuff wrong with show hunters as compared to actual field hunters. I don't know ANYONE who'd want to take a zombie around hounds/over natural (and solid) obstacles. And some of the snaffles used in show hunters are much more severe than a correctly used double bridle. Snaffle does NOT always equal mild. I would hardly consider a segunda or waterford mild. And what about all the nosebands with chains or tacks? So don't clutch your pearls and accuse the breed ring folks of having an atrocious interpretation of what a hunter is. Seriously, if you want to point fingers, VERY easy to point them right back. Every part of the industry has things wrong, has its dark side, and its shining examples. Threads like this piss me off every single time.

You enjoy hunters your way, let everyone else enjoy it their way.
    Last edited by MyssMyst; Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Ultimately, the problem here is that people get offended when someone else's version of hunters doesn't match their own. That's WHY there are so many disciplines and breeds available in the horse world. You can find something that matches YOUR idea of what horseback riding should be. Why not just be happy with the corner you have picked for yourself and enjoy your martini? What is the purpose of going and slamming someone else's idea of enjoying their horses? If you don't like it, don't DO it. Really, it's just that easy.
    Thank you for saying everything I was thinking.

Reading this thread made me wonder how many people out there are also about to have a coronary because people with non-QH have the audacity to ride them western. Those Arabs/Morgans/ASBs don't like anything like a real western pleasure horse at an AQHA show, dontchaknow. /sarcasm

I can sort of understand complaining that show hunters (of all stripes) aren't close to anything you'd actually take out of an arena and ride to hounds, but complaining that horses in show/division X aren't valid because they don't look like horses in show/division Y is crazy. Where does it say that my overly stylized interpretation of a hunter must match your overly stylized interpretation of a hunter?

Doesn't Rita Mae Brown ride saddlebreds to hounds?

I wouldn't hesitate to take my ASB Country Pleasure show horse and ride him to hounds. He is a nifty jumper and would probably be better at that then he would at arena jumping. I could see him doing that quite well actually!
    Bernard M. Baruch

There are very few or no Hunter under saddle classes offered here in KY. Couldn't find one on the KASPHA show bill for last year, don't remember any in the Central KY Fairs and Shows booklet for last year. Never saw one at Academy.
    Completely missed the class at the Junior League, and I don't read the Report or the Voice anymore so I don't see the ads.

KY Spring Premier has class number 46 Hunter Country Pleasure. They posted their showbill 2/16 of this year. I'm not able to google and determine if last year's show had any Hunter classes.

Someone like me would have to go out of state to show an ASB Hunt seat, or play in a different sandbox. There are low level KYHJA shows here at least once a month, and rated shows by the bushel at the KHP. There are other small shows, 4-H, Pinto Org of KY. Still a different style of judging

.Now, I have strayed far far from the OP, which I took after some comments to be about gait inflation in Hunter Country Pleasure, at least based on the video and some comparison photos of action late '70's to recently. Higher moving horses appear to be heading into the Hunt seat classes and abandoning the Park/SS classes. Any comment on that?
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    There are very few or no Hunter under saddle classes offered here in KY. Couldn't find one on the KASPHA show bill for last year, don't remember any in the Central KY Fairs and Shows booklet for last year. Never saw one at Academy.
    Completely missed the class at the Junior League, and I don't read the Report or the Voice anymore so I don't see the ads.

KY Spring Premier has class number 46 Hunter Country Pleasure. They posted their showbill 2/16 of this year. I'm not able to google and determine if last year's show had any Hunter classes.

Someone like me would have to go out of state to show an ASB Hunt seat, or play in a different sandbox. There are low level KYHJA shows here at least once a month, and rated shows by the bushel at the KHP. There are other small shows, 4-H, Pinto Org of KY. Still a different style of judging

.Now, I have strayed far far from the OP, which I took after some comments to be about gait inflation in Hunter Country Pleasure, at least based on the video and some comparison photos of action late '70's to recently. Higher moving horses appear to be heading into the Hunt seat classes and abandoning the Park/SS classes. Any comment on that?
    Watching Scottsdale this year, it seems the Arabians are starting to shift back. Very few English horses in the Country pleasure, and fewer Country horses showing hunter. It'll all work out over time. Fads will be fads, in movement as well as attire.