The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You probably already know this, but the Saddlebred Association is encouraging ASB horses to be used in the sports, and is providing financial incentives. When I registered the transfer on my mare, they sent me a copy of the Saddlebred Journal for this year with a two-page spread congratulating CH Good Deal for being the first Saddlebred to earn all his champion points from only hunter classes. As I look at the website, it looks like the program may be only about two years old. I think it's really nice. These are beautiful, able horses and deserve to be shown wherever they can do the job. Not just with weighted shoes...

https://www.facebook.com/CHGoodDeal

5 members found this post helpful.

Hmm. According to the Fb page Good Deal has gone out into the real world to compete, I see pics from a hunter show with sloppy wet footing, and they have their standing and dee ring snaffle just like I'd expect to see any horse wearing in the Hunters. Good for Good Deal!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

What is the differences you all are talking about? I'm just a trail rider and don't have a clue, but would like to learn. Can someone post what is "standard" for what you are talking about and maybe something that isn't standard?

Also, not sure but the video below like it would be painful on the horses back (and mouth). Saddlebreds don't have the most level short back to begin with (and I love saddlebreds!! I have one. Love the looks of the horses in the OP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2e...JdB1xtiYUncFpL
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    YOUR idea of what hunter should look like. Hunter pleasure can have a lot of looks, you would be surprised at what can go over jumps, horses built for saddle seat can be very suprisingly atheletic over fences. They have the ability to fold up their legs nicely over fences.
    Your horse is handsome! The tone of some posters suggests they think any horse that doesn't fit their idea of hunter is "junk". I've seen pictures of ASB's jumping that knocked my socks off!!! Those horses had tight knees. And why would you want a flat kneed ASB?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    What is the differences you all are talking about? I'm just a trail rider and don't have a clue, but would like to learn. Can someone post what is "standard" for what you are talking about and maybe something that isn't standard?

Also, not sure but the video below like it would be painful on the horses back (and mouth). Saddlebreds don't have the most level short back to begin with (and I love saddlebreds!! I have one. Love the looks of the horses in the OP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2e...JdB1xtiYUncFpL
    The original video and this one are exhibition or sales promo videos. I have no idea why she's not posting.

In the arabian, morgan, and saddlebred worlds you have different kinds of arena classes.

As people bred and made through artificial means horses that have higher action in front there grew a need to make different classes that way everyone would have a place to show in. The higher stepping (you call this breaking level, if the horse's knees are level with his chest or above his chest) tend to draw the biggest entries, have the largest prizes, and cost the most to enter or purchase a horse for. If you aren't doing well in your class then you can step down into the class below you (within certain rules) and win.

While wearing cutback saddles you can enter these classes from most to least action

Arabians can show as Park, English Pleasure or Country English Pleasure.

Morgans can show as Park, English Pleasure or Classic Pleasure

Saddlebreds can show as Five-Gaited, Three-Gaited, Show Pleasure or Country Pleasure

If you can't show in these divisions because your horse doesn't show enough action/brilliance then you would show in huntseat in a hunter type saddle.

I was going to say OP, if you can't tell that is an ASB you need to go back to What Breed Is It? class! I would much prefer this gorgeous horse if I were to go in the hunt field (God Forbid! LOL) than one of those stock horses whose knees risk whapping their noses with every step.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

7 members found this post helpful.

I opened the can of worms but if you know absolutely nothing about H/J to start it'll be hard. H/J is a discipline under the umbrella of USEF, hunters are all about the look while they clear the fences, how the horse uses it's body, the manner in which the horse approaches and clears the fence, it's all supposed to be effortless, and jumpers are all about clearing the fences and time. Hunters also do the "hack" as part of their divisions, which is a flat class, but that part has me confused as well.
    Certain items of tack and apparel are either not allowed or not traditional - ie they get the stink eye from the judge. You may not use any sort of boot, no brushing or splint boots, and no running martingales. You may use a standing martingale and lots of people do that but don't need one, the current fashion is the dee ring snaffle. Simple cavesson, no flashes or figure eights, just simple. Maybe a pelham, not a Kimblewicke and a double would be a bit much but correct. Hair gets netted to death and stuffed under the helmet, not one single wisp flying away. There's even a way to wear your number, with a little string coming around your waist.

ASB's are also under the USEF umbrella but the Hunter section "Hunter Country Pleasure" is exclusive to ASB's and maybe has one little jump in basically a flat class.
    HUS as I referred to it was AQHA HUS, seen at QH breed shows. Then there is Hunter at Arab shows, Arab breed shows, etc.

They all have the same name, hunter, but get judged differently. AQHA HUS is almost WP in an English saddle. ASB Hunter Country Pleasure is or can be a saddleseat horse wearing hunt seat tack, what the OP was asking about. Same with the Arabs and Morgans.

What gets me impatient about the terminology is that the "breed" hunters, although called hunters, would not likely be competitive in the hunter section of the USEF discipline called H/J. It bugs me, probably for no good reason.

I've tried to find some public domain photos, like in the Coth magazine or the Dover catalog but they are a bit hard to find online. Here's a nice youtube vid , a non standard hunter "derby" class, (the walk portion is intentional) note the "lope around the park", low action, the rider is wearing a white breech which you mightn't see ordinarily http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...q-8wshbpM&NR=1
    here's a QH over fences - MUCH different than the under saddle - very nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTaDN3SV9_Q the QH under saddle - these horse look like they are going to fall over either asleep or dead, hate the look personally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQfZGcHnuk
    Comparing and contrasting with the OP's vid and Am's vid, you can see a range of collection in these horses. That's the upright look, collection, the only problem I have with that is when you have a horse that won't stretch out or "use" himself over the fence, which I don't think is good as fence heights increase.

Anyway this is just my 2 cents, I've watched and listened but never competed at those levels so take it for what it's worth.

What I've been told about the "bumping" in the vid, is that it's for timing. You'll note the horse is breaking above level and it's hard to post to that, too easy to get going too fast and high.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Mar. 2, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Your horse is handsome! The tone of some posters suggests they think any horse that doesn't fit their idea of hunter is "junk". I've seen pictures of ASB's jumping that knocked my socks off!!! Those horses had tight knees. And why would you want a flat kneed ASB?
    Thank you Gestalt! Our boy can jump also....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2hf...sRN3nKeH3uH5tg

He is 20 this year and is having some stifle arthritis so we are limiting his jumping.

I have several Morgans that jump also. My niece's former English Pleasure horse jumps as well. My niece has decided however to try him Western this season.
    English Pleasure
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

Hunter Pleasure

Over fences

and now Western (working on it, not where we want to be yet)
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Hey Andrea, need another hunter? For you he'd be free. Related to above horse, just 4, started in lines, great mind!
    Send me the info, I don't have any open stalls right now though. Gus is out at pasture and is not happy about it either.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    What gets me impatient about the terminology is that the "breed" hunters, although called hunters, would not likely be competitive in the hunter section of the USEF discipline called H/J. It bugs me, probably for no good reason.
    With the Morgans, when you get to the higher shows such as Regionals or Nationals, you have your Pleasure hunters (with motion) and your sport horse hunters (usually older style Morgans).

Also at our shows, the Hunter Hack classes are flat classes that incorporate two jumps at the end of the class as the horses are required to demonstrate jumping ability.
    Bernard M. Baruch

ReSomething, nice post, I get what you're saying. I personally find the hunter classes of today excruciatingly boring. Dead quiet horses jumping fences that have set striding. Give me a rousing gallop through a series of fences that the stride count is all about each horses stride length. (easy for me to say, I'm too chicken to jump higher than 2'6"!!!!)
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

A, they don't even have HUS here in KY. They'll toss in a Shatner class at Academy every once in a while and it looks as though the owner of Good Deal sponsored an HUS class at Junior League last year. But the Fair circuit here just doesn't have it.
    Incredible Invisible

Thank you G. It got pretty long there I'll admit. Some of the H/J stuff can be pretty bad, I looked at one with a well known rider and OMG he was thumping around on the forehand and if the horse had pecked after the jump he'd have been a lawndart, no way was I posting that as an example of "good", so somewhere there is a happy medium in collection. At the highest levels the riding can be so good -and also so bad. Hunters are just so blessed subjective.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    A, they don't even have HUS here in KY. They'll toss in a Shatner class at Academy every once in a while and it looks as though the owner of Good Deal sponsored an HUS class at Junior League last year. But the Fair circuit here just doesn't have it.
    There were 16 of us that sponsored the HUS classes at Jr. League and we had to fight tooth and nail to get it added to the show schedule and we all put up money to sponsor it. It was not cheap. We are trying to get the Kentucky State Fair to add it to the World Championship show and sponsoring it at Jr. League is a huge step in the right direction; sadly it was not added to the fair's schedule for 2013.

I snapped this screen capture of the jumbotron at the show when it appeared on the webcast
    Bernard M. Baruch

Thanks for showing that jumbotron! As one of the 16 you mentioned, it was wonderful to be able to help make history!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I grew up with "repurposed" ASBs. They were fantastic jumpers.

16 sponsors and 11 entries. That's pretty darn good.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Incredible Invisible

I liked the fact that both horses were forward, unlike the dead-eyed hunters in the other disciplines. Elegant horses and very versatile.

Bill Steinkraus used to say that the best jumpers were Saddlebred/TB's - back in the day before the European invasion.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with everything amwrider and Thoroughbredfancy said.

While I think that in general a Saddlebred that is shown in hunt tack should have a bit lower of a headset than a Saddle Seat horse, the reality is that Saddlebreds naturally have a high head carriage. That doesn't make them wrong or ugly. If someone feels that their horse is not competitive in SS because their headset is lower than desired, then why not put them in hunt seat or western? Better to be used than to be put to pasture and left alone. I really like the Saddlebred hunt seat classes. I have a mare that I'd like to show in one one day.
    Last edited by NBChoice; Mar. 3, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    I was going to say OP, if you can't tell that is an ASB you need to go back to What Breed Is It? class! I would much prefer this gorgeous horse if I were to go in the hunt field (God Forbid! LOL) than one of those stock horses whose knees risk whapping their noses with every step.
    I was perfectly aware that it was an ASB. However, what I saw was a horse that looked a bit hot, with plenty of motion and a rider that appeared to have lost her saddlesuit.

Why people continue to inist that horses like this aren't suited for SS country pleasure classes befuddles me. The head carriage of this horse should be suitable for a CP class. A horse like this shouldn't be considered a hunter bound cull.