The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Could someone please tell me what this is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmMa...JdB1xtiYUncFpL

It doesn't look like a hunter, it ain't dressage an it's not a (saddleseat)showhorse, so could someone please tell me what the heck it is?

He isn't a bad looking horse, just not sure what his purpose in life is.

Saddlebred, according to its website:
    http://allamericancup.org/

The horse certainly looks and moves like an ASB. Very lovely!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

3 members found this post helpful.

No kidding.

Just not really sure what it is. It looks like a hot saddleseat horse that someone put a huntseat saddle on. I'm not a hunter guru, but it sure doesn't look like anything I've seen at a NoVa hunter show.

1 members found this post helpful.

interesting show concept.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

It's a saddlebred ridden huntseat although it appears to have enough action to do one of the pleasure classes. Usually this class has older style saddlebreds, older horses period, or horses that have less knee action. It's the class you enter if you either don't want to or can't ride the hotter higher stepping horses or if you have a horse that isn't as flashy.

The arena set up is pretty normal for a saddlebred barn. This appears to be some sort of expo or demo ride but many saddlebred barns have long narrow arenas and many shows have long narrow warm ups where you go down to the end, stop, turn around, and go back.

2 members found this post helpful.

Uh, if you listen to the commentator, I think she's trying to sell the mare, and is mentioning that she doesn't have the high head carriage most people want.

And I think she's lovely, very natural and sane.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    No kidding.

Just not really sure what it is. It looks like a hot saddleseat horse that someone put a huntseat saddle on. I'm not a hunter guru, but it sure doesn't look like anything I've seen at a NoVa hunter show.
    They do this w Morgans now, too. I was embarrassed when I brought someone to watch the evening classes at a Morgan show & all of these ppl (who were riding saddle seat in hunt seat garb) came in on SS pleasure (and some park) horses for the hunt seat class. It would have been comical if it was not so pathetic. Not one horse even did a flat walk, which should not be acceptable in ANY class. No one used to ever be in the HS classes, now they are full to bursting. The park stake, which used to be the big event of the eve, had two horses in it.

First ppl would try to win by showing what should be park horses in pleasure. & judges rewarded this by pinning them. Then they showed in Country pleasure or whatever it was called, until now they are finally in hunter class. It makes no sense. Not sure where a longer/flatter strided horse with more true hunter movement supposed to go. Really it is judges' fault for rewarding this idiocy.

3 members found this post helpful.

That is an adorable ASB hunter pleasure horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

A saddlebred hunter should look like a saddlebred (and not a TB or QH) there has to be something inheirently saddlebred-y about it.

The horse in that video is a very nice example of a horse for that discipline. It is called Hunter Country Pleasure, horses must be flat shod with no pads. The horses are to have some knee action but must have motion that extends as well (no piston-like or "sewing machine" motion).

As for the Morgans, there are two types of Morgans that show. You have your hunter pleasure horses and your hunter sport horses.

The Morgan pleasure horse can have weights and pads and knee action (provided it extends) but the sport horse must be shod for sport and they are not required to have action at the trot.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm a fringe-oid in the ASB world and what I see here is an attempt to get the idea in people's heads that there could be a market developed for the "junk" saddlebred. Pony is "junk", my trainer hasn't said so in so many words but I can feel her little fingers itching because he won't put his head up and as far as I'm concerned I don't care if he puts his head up. We can't get his half bred papers without enormous headaches so his show career is non-existent.

He has a job as a fun little racking trail horse and I personally would love it if he got brave enough to start jumping small stuff.

That beng said I don't have a lot of patience for the breed interpretations of "Hunter". HUS drives me absolutely batty, and ASB is still a little too upright plus they really should be using a snaffle. Still doesn't drive me as batty as HUS though. Random sample of why I go nuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1NT7lqibls
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    That beng said I don't have a lot of patience for the breed interpretations of "Hunter". HUS drives me absolutely batty, and ASB is still a little too upright plus they really should be using a snaffle.
    They are too upright for what? Why should they be using a snaffle? Wjat should an ASB hunter look like?

Back in the day, a horse wasn't considered "finished" unless he could go in a weymouth and a rider wasn't considered "educated" unless they could handle two sets of reins, think back to all of those old hunting prints of top hatted riders jumping in full bridles. Why is a hunter supposed to go in a snaffle now?

Here is my ASB HUS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpRT...sRN3nKeH3uH5tg

He can trot level this was just kind of early in his show career. This is a photo from one of his last shows.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=1&theater
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

8 members found this post helpful.

There you go A. Breed interpretation.

But, you are right about the evolution of H/J, or de-volution over time. Hunters as in H/J, no breed specified, used to be seen in a double bridle, used to do outside courses and used to not use a specified number of strides per line.

I can't tell you why a hunter is supposed to go in a snaffle now, but I think it has to do with the trend to the appearance of quiet. Metronome canter, light contact (but please dog no throwing the reins away), snaffle because they don't "need" a curb. Right now the fashion is D ring snaffles and raised or padded cavessons and browbands. Brown tack, not too light and heaven forbid not black. Soon enough it'll change.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    They do this w Morgans now, too. I was embarrassed when I brought someone to watch the evening classes at a Morgan show & all of these ppl (who were riding saddle seat in hunt seat garb) came in on SS pleasure (and some park) horses for the hunt seat class. It would have been comical if it was not so pathetic. Not one horse even did a flat walk, which should not be acceptable in ANY class. No one used to ever be in the HS classes, now they are full to bursting. The park stake, which used to be the big event of the eve, had two horses in it.

First ppl would try to win by showing what should be park horses in pleasure. & judges rewarded this by pinning them. Then they showed in Country pleasure or whatever it was called, until now they are finally in hunter class. It makes no sense. Not sure where a longer/flatter strided horse with more true hunter movement supposed to go. Really it is judges' fault for rewarding this idiocy.
    This.

Breed class my posterior. Even let down a little that horse looks no more hunter than my cat.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    This.

Breed class my posterior. Even let down a little that horse looks no more hunter than my cat.
    YOUR idea of what hunter should look like. Hunter pleasure can have a lot of looks, you would be surprised at what can go over jumps, horses built for saddle seat can be very suprisingly atheletic over fences. They have the ability to fold up their legs nicely over fences.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    YOUR idea of what hunter should look like. Hunter pleasure can have a lot of looks, you would be surprised at what can go over jumps, horses built for saddle seat can be very suprisingly atheletic over fences. They have the ability to fold up their legs nicely over fences.

Yep.

I was shocked when I entered the Arab hunter world awhile back for a bit. It was very different from the hunters that I had grown to know. Then I had thought about it, and had it explained to me; Arabs aren't built like a TB, or a WB, so they aren't exactly going to travel or carry themselves like one. In the Arab world they prefer more contact, and nice bow to their neck (as is their natural conformation). Of course I'm referring to an Arab being specifically shown on the Arab circuit. If one were to go to a general Hunter show it may be different/different expectations and preferences. All in all my point is that different breeds are built and travel differently which leads to a different hunter, but still a hunter nonetheless.

Eh, I'm not a fan of that look, ie SS country pleasure horse in hunt tack. That mare's motion is too trappy, imo, for hunt. I'd love to see more plain snaffles, of course a double bridle is appropriate, but not when the shanks on the curb are SS length!

A couple of years ago one of the ASB people took out an ad of their winning hunter in one of the breed magazines. The caption under the horse's picture said something like "The epitome of the ASB hunter" The problem? They chose a jump picture (small jump) with a leg hanging- not just uneven knees, I mean hanging badly! I was embarrassed for the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Hey Andrea, need another hunter? For you he'd be free. Related to above horse, just 4, started in lines, great mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post

Have to agree. The last Morgan show I watched was in Dallas over 10 years ago. Was hoping things had changed. In the hunter under saddle class several horses wouldn't walk, so when the walk was called they just halted Same with Arabians and I just went to Nationals last Oct. Just looked like Park/English Pleasure horses that didn't quite make that cut, but still too much action for anything resembling a hunter. Of course they're not WBs or TBS, but there are still very nice "flat" moving Arabs and Morgans that the Hunter classes shouldn't have to be just for the Park horse rejects. I'm not as familiar with ASBs, but I would certainly expect them to have more action because that's what they were bred for.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

You see it in every breed show from QH to Arab.

Many breeds have separate main ring and sport horse classes. They do not cross enter as the expected way of going is drastically different.

In the Arab world the sport horse types often compete in the open world of dressage, jumping, eventing, etc... I have one of those. She would not do well in the main ring Arabian classes.
    Last edited by HeartsongHorses; Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fixed a sentence

4 members found this post helpful.