The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default oiling new Edgewood to match old Edgewood, possible?

I just bought a beautiful used Jaguar bridle that is very similar to Edgewood. I LOVE it, but the brow band is WAY too big, like at least 1.5 inches too long. I also need reins. I was thinking of getting Edgewood pieces since the bridle is so similar and they are easily accessible, more than Jaguar. So question is, how do I get new Edgewood that deep dark beautiful old Edgewood brown, preferably within a week

PS and yes I know if I'm going to spend that much to get Edgewood parts I should just get a new bridle but I LOVE this Jaguar wide noseband, it's exactly what I'm looking for and it fits our hard to fit pony perfectly, brow band aside... and all in all including new reins and browband, the cost will be MUCH less than a new Edgewood.

Could you have the brow band shortened and get used reins?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I don't think I can shorten the browband... it's reallllly big. and it's fancy stitched and raised so I can't imagine how they could take that much off of it. I will stay on the lookout for used reins, but definitely think I'm gonna try the Edgewood browband, so long as i can get it to match.

Well, good luck.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd say dunk the new one in oil (I use neatsfoot myself), let it absorb as much as you can, then use it. Like every day and on every horse, as only time and use seems to really give that nice patina that the older Edgewoods get! You might have to oil more than once, just have to see how it absorbs and keeps the color with use.

I had two Edgewoods for my two horses, one full and one warmblood -- got to a show with smaller horse and realized I had big horse's bridle. Managed to make the main parts fit and bought a new noseband at the show -- oiled it up, used it for schooling and worked the leather a bunch just sitting around waiting (as you often do at shows...). I won't say it was an exact match by show day, but it was close enough to not stand out. So it can be done.

Use Neatsfoot Compound Oil, it is different than regular neatsfoot oil. This is what the tack store has used to darken my brand new Edgewood and also Butet saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    I don't think I can shorten the browband... it's reallllly big. and it's fancy stitched and raised so I can't imagine how they could take that much off of it. I will stay on the lookout for used reins, but definitely think I'm gonna try the Edgewood browband, so long as i can get it to match.
    OK, I think a good repair person could shorten the two ends; I don't think it would be as difficult as you imagine. But definitely get a new one if you can match it and if you'd save money that way. Saw some nice Edgewood reins on e-bay.

I am going to take the browband to Journeymen's today but I highly doubt there is anything they can do with it. It's just TOO big, it literally sticks out off her head almost 2 inches... it probably needs to be shortened an inch on each side. Right across the street I can buy the Edgewood browband, so hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone and know what I have by the end of the day. I will also ask the tack shop if they can dip it for me, I think they do that.

The reins I'm not too worried about, I have a spare pair that will match, they are just not raised/fancy stitched but I will probably just wait for a pair to come up used somewhere.

Nothing like a Frankenbridle

Soak it in olive oil for about 45 minutes. Then wipe off excess oil with a rag. Repeat if necessary. Make sure the entire bridle is sumberged in oil or the coloring will not be the same. I use a gallon ziploc bag.

Sounds as if you will have a beautiful bridle soon! Be sure to post a pic of your pony wearing it when you get it all put together!

I know all about Frankenbridles. Mine is a Crosby USET bridle with unknown brand nose band and Bobby's reins. Everything matches, though!

I have a smaller sized Hadfield browband, did you want to swap for the jaguar one? Its the colour of an oiled edgewood It measures 13.5", I need 14.5+

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I have a smaller sized Hadfield browband, did you want to swap for the jaguar one? Its the colour of an oiled edgewood It measures 13.5", I need 14.5+
    I am assuming what you have is a horse, and I'm looking for pony or small cob... but I will measure. Sent you a PM!

Mayaty I cant respond to PM's, but I can read them. If you want to send me a PM with your email I can send you more info. It measures right between pony (12.5) and cob (14.5) in edgewood, its 13.5"

Awesome, this Jaguar one measures 15"! So I'm totally game to swap, it is 1/2" wide and does have the Jaguar plate on it. Let me know...

Just wanted to update, looks like Squish and I are trading browbands which is super cool, but I did find the Edgewood pony one on sale at the Tack Box in Middleburg so I bought it just in case the other one doesn't work out, it was less than $40 so how can I go wrong? They dipped it there and it came out super nice dark brown. Not as dark as the rest of the bridle yet, but awfully close! just FYI

Now the quest for used reins...

Quote Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
    Use Neatsfoot Compound Oil, it is different than regular neatsfoot oil. This is what the tack store has used to darken my brand new Edgewood and also Butet saddle.
    Bad idea. Most Neatsfoot Compound products are petroleum based. Very hard on the leather.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

We dip ours in hydrophane leather darkening oil when we first get then. We take the bridle apart and dip each piece thru the oil. I put the oil in a large gladware container so that I can save it easily. My edgewoods darken to the deepest brown you can imagine this way. I have oiled them with various different techniques over the years but the dipping works the best.

Glad it worked out for you!

For future reference, there is nothing like Blue Ribbon Oil or Walsh's Clean-n-Treat Oil for darkening. Blue Ribbon is a bit harder to find, but it's out there - stores catering to saddleseat and harness tend to carry it. And yes, it is the original stuff. My Edgewood pieces (MANY of them - another Frankenbridle here!) darkened beautifully with it.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Glad it worked out for you!

For future reference, there is nothing like Blue Ribbon Oil or Walsh's Clean-n-Treat Oil for darkening. Blue Ribbon is a bit harder to find, but it's out there - stores catering to saddleseat and harness tend to carry it. And yes, it is the original stuff. My Edgewood pieces (MANY of them - another Frankenbridle here!) darkened beautifully with it.
    You beat me to it pattnic, I was going to recommend the Walsh's/Blue Ribbon too. If you are having trouble finding it I'm pretty sure you can buy it right from Walsh's website, although I have not had to do so yet. I always make sure I am never without a supply of it.