The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Glad the saddle doesn't slip. Is he perchance high withered?
    I'd say normal - neither high nor mutton withered. The saddle has slipped when I didn't tighten the girth.

Abnormalities. LF is very slightly more upright than RF - when the horse eats off the ground the RF is forward most of the time.
    Asymmetry at the coronary band(eg: posterior or distal displacement, if so, where?) No
    long toe/low heels No
    high heels- dished toe No
    hoof shape ie; round, spade shaped, narrow Round fronts, wide spade shaped behind
    sole--flat, concave concave with a hard callus
    is the frog wide and 'plump' or narrow and 'mealy'? wide and plump all round
    Is there any indication of the presence of thrush and if so, which foot/feet? No
    Are there any lumps above the coronary band in the area of the quarters? If so, which hooves and which side(eg: medial/lateral/both)? No
    Does the wall from the quarters rearward at the ground edge, lie outside of, straight down from, or inside of a plumb line dropped from the coronary band? Outside on all eight quarters

Default Rick Burten

My horse has a wonderful sloping shoulder from the side. He was quite back in his knees when I got him as a yearling. His foot curled when it left the ground. He did not extend either leg nnormally at that time. He is now just very slightly back in his knees...if fact maybe just very flat in the knees.

. His right front foot is smaller than his left and is very slightly more upright. He has a great topline and a good hind leg with good angulation. Both hind feet match and are shod with a short toe at a good angle.

When I am on him (I can see his shoulder better from that view than from behind) if he has not been in work, his right shoulder atrophes (sp) and is less muscled than the left. When in work with targeted flatwork, the Right shoulder fills out. The saddle does not slip. He needs careful consistant flat work as he is weak unless in work. He did lock his Left stifle as a younger horse and the vet suggested that it was not due to his ligaments being loose, but that his muscles were weak. He suggested a muscle builder supplement and conscientious muscle targeted work.

We do careful hill work with him. Unlike my other horses, he can not tolerate rigorous hill work....he becomes tense in his back and slightly sore. But slow work at the walk on a gradual hill has helped him and he no longer locks his stifle. When he is in work and his hind end is built up, he has a spectacular , dwelly trot. Timely shoeing is imperative.

I really appreciate your information. thank you.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

OP I would get the assistance of a good massage therapist and a chiro :-)
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Basic physics-

A horse, walking in a straight line HAS to have the same length stride (measured hoofprint to hoofprint) with all legs.

Otherwise he would be going in a circle, or somehow leaving one leg behind to catch up later.

You can DEFINITELY have one leg that doesn't reach forward as much. Or one leg that doesn't reach back as much. Either would indicate a problem.

But if the horse physically SHORTENS the stride on one leg, the other legs HAVE to shorten the stride as well, to compensate, and to keep going straight.

When the horse doesn't "reach forward" as much with one leg, it LOOKS as if the stride is shorter. But in reality, it is "shorter in front and longer behind" and the same length overall.

Again, reaching forward unevenly indicates a problem. But if you actually measure footprint to footprint, they HAVE to be the same.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi - I am following this thread w great interest. I have a lovely horse who does not canter as well to the right as he does to the left. The first time my really great farrier started shoeing him, he noticed my horse's right shoulder was significantly underdeveloped compared to his left. I don't think my saddle really shifts much, but he is high withered. He is symetrical in his quarters. Thoughts on the right shoulder? And what targeted exercise is recommended? Thanks, fg

BTW, my horse has a lovely walk and trot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Please describe the conformation of all four hooves.
    Please describe the shoulder conformation when standing behind the horse looking forward along his top line. Make sure the horse is standing on flat, level ground with his cannon bones vertical/perpendicular to the ground.
    When under saddle, does the saddle slip to one side or the other? If so, which side?
    Last edited by farmgirl; Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Left out information