The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cool Prepare for the NH/Western/Alternative INVASION!!

Dressage Today Magazine. March 2013 issue. Pages 28-34.

BEWARE Dually halters....Long lining past cows and over streams....Using an umbrella horseback...talk of the rider as 'herd leader'

What is happening? Has Uta Graf been possessed by the Devil?!?

Does this belong in a 'Dressage' magazine?

Is DT guilt of heresy?
    Last edited by Isabeau Z Solace; Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Dressage Today Magazine. Marcho 2013 issue. Pages 28-34.

BEWARE Dually halters....Long lining past cows and over streams....Using an umbrella horseback...talk of the rider as 'herd leader'

Is DT guilt of heresy?
    Well, I'll start to worry about branding her a heretic when Uta Graf starts demanding that she be allowed to compete GP in a western saddle.

Until then I will continue to believe that cows, umbrellas around horses, streams and many other things (including dually halters) are not the sole province of western riders or NH folks.
    Sheilah

8 members found this post helpful.

Oh The Humanity!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

Is DT guilt of heresy?
    I don't get it. THey aren't Western trainers, they are dressage trainers. They are discussing their system of ground work. Long-lining is fundamental in some peoples' system. Ground work, being "herd leader" and de-sensitization are important concepts for all people who start young horses. What part of this article is problematic for you? I think it's a great article.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

5 members found this post helpful.

Is DT guilt of heresy?
    Hmmmm... If you think there is anything notable or out of the ordinary in that article I would have to assume that you have zero understanding of how to properly start and train a young horse. There was nothing in there that hasn't been done by dressage trainers (and young horse trainers in just about every discipline) for hundreds of years.

13 members found this post helpful.

OK ! Off to read my DT, but I have happily been desensitizing my youngsters for ages. And as far as herd leader goes, any group of horses I'm around on a regular basis better realize I'm Alpha.

So go look elsewhere for your rabble to rouse.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

8 members found this post helpful.

Isabeau are you referring to PP use of the terminology and practices? Uta has been on my radar for a while as an accomplished dressage rider who is willing to try or adopt new things. In her videos, for example, the footing in her ring is quite unique. She also rides at least one of her horses in a bitless bridle. I've read articles she's written about horse keeping and she has very strong opinions about turnout and various types of exercise. I'd read anything she has to say. And now for my favorite Uta video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XUq56P_I0

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

What is a dually halter?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    What is a dually halter?
    I have heard it described as a Monty Roberts invention. It works on a pressure/release type system, I think around the nose band? I don't think I have ever seen one used in person, but I have seen them listed in catalogs.
    Sheilah

What is a dually halter?
    I had to Google it. http://www.intelligenthorsemanship.c...ly-halter.html

Paula

i am not sure what the issue is. most folks i know prefer their horses to be out if not 24//7 then at least all day - every day. Most folks i know who work youngsters work on respect, desensitizing, etc.

considering that Uta shows in large venues she is preparing her horses for those situations (umbrellas, etc)

i am happy to see DT taking a more "traditional" look at dressage and that perhaps "we" are on a more fundamental and traditional trajectory now that the likes of the queens of crank no longer on the horizon....

in the end, DT is a reflection of a certain portion of the dressage world - so since natural horsemanship is big right now as are more traditional POV, we will probably get more articles like this.

Um. That's the POINT of dressage. It means "training." I know a lot of dressage wooses that don't do anything, but they are supposed to. ESPECIALLY an FEI horse should be able to handle all of that all of the time. A well trained horse may be startled, but will not do anything dramatic.

Things happen at shows. Banners come loose, tractors zip around (my last show I had a tractor race next to my 4th level test!), animals run through rings, helicopters fly around, and anything else you can imagine. It is somewhat understandable a young horse be reactive, but it is not acceptable a trained FEI horse that cannot react mildly and get back to work.

I remember listening to Isabel Werth explaining why she didn't win at the World Cup press conference--the photographers clicking away in the corner messed up her pirouette. PShaw.

If you can't take your "trained" dressage horse into any situation and feel safe, you're doing something wrong.

7 members found this post helpful.

Dually halter sorta link a chain shank idea made out of rope. Personally I only want leather halters. The rest is pretty much normal horsemanship/basic training (even the riding with a neck rope).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Funny, but just a couple of days ago I was looking through an old copy of a Mary Twelveponies "Everyday Dressage", and I saw a lot of the stuff the NH/RFDTV cowboys are doing, and selling as if they invented it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    Funny, but just a couple of days ago I was looking through an old copy of a Mary Twelveponies "Everyday Dressage", and I saw a lot of the stuff the NH/RFDTV cowboys are doing, and selling as if they invented it.
    I LOVED reading Mary Twelveponies!
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    I know I have a book by her, will have to see which one it is.

What is a dually halter?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I have heard it described as a Monty Roberts invention.
    Roberts' most famous training project circa his leap to fame was named Dually.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    in the end, DT is a reflection of a certain portion of the dressage world - so since natural horsemanship is big right now as are more traditional POV, we will probably get more articles like this.
    DT knows where its market-share is, just like the Cowboy/Western Dressage crowd. If there didn't seem to be money in that direction, no one would go.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I heard (notice the italics -because you know how distorted stories can get) that a dressage horse at the Olympics lost his crap when people in the audience were putting away umbrellas and the like. If this is indeed the case then it stands support of the value of this kind of exposure right? As one trainer told me -you can't proof them against everything, but what you can do is train their behavior when they do startle at something?

Paula

Hmm... I think it was a Canadian guy who got toasted when a camera operator was switching a rain covering on/off. The weather was (more than) a little ridiculous for a while. With some riders starting in rain and finishing their tests in sunshine. I think some horses also got cooked by the fantabulous ringside 'jumbotron' in Hong Kong. Which I recall was blamed for Brentina's looking 'not quite' right during her test?

I hate to pick on anyone for a difficult show day. But I did find it pretty interesting that some folks were complaining that certain topics "did not belong" on the Dressage Forum. Meanwhile DT has an article that goes something like "you take your dually halter and your spooky PSG horse for a ride with an umbrella past some cows...."