The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hot water heater
    Tank de-icer
    Heat tape/s
    Potassium chloride
    Duct tape

Similarly,
    Fans
    Premises 'Knock down' fly spray
    Muck tub/s
    Stall Dry or Sweet PDZ

And, I got one of these recently as a gift. Priceless!
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Forgot.... large box, maybe a trunk of money. Cash, unmarked bills mostly $20 but have a few rolls of $100s for those emergencies that seem to happen on a weekly bases

8 members found this post helpful.

Funny but true, Clanter.

I'd only add a radio (with all-weather speakers) and weather thermometer since I ride rain or shine if a show is on the horizon.

The things that I use most and always seem to walk (you'll want multiples of these, in different locations):
    Shovels
    Pitchforks
    Flashlights
    WD40
    Zip Ties
    SCISSORS!!!
    BUCKETS!!!

Small fridge comes in handy. Mine houses beer, penicillin, and saline currently. Water bottles in the summer.
    Also big garbage can/containers, one for 'garbage' and I throw an empty feed bag in another to put the twine in after I take it off the hay.
    Quarry Rat

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Lots of great suggestions already!

Maybe I missed it, but for me a pair of rawhide work gloves is indispensable.
    Keep my hands relatively free of cuts from baling twine and come in handy scraping frozen manure out of the wheelbarrow.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Pallets. Tarps and tie-downs also come in handy.

We moved our horses home in December. I've about gone bankrupt buying "little things."
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Keep it coming

The farrier tools are one that I missed, and in my case are very much needed on a regular basis ! Im really wondering how I missed that!

Also, the first aid supplies are already on the "to buy list" but I did notice many places have kits. Im really not sure if these are really worth it? Thoughts?

Snaps, eye screws, trash cans,wheelbarrow, buckets, water tubs, water heaters, first aid supplies, rubber feed pans, broom/rake/fork.

Its a self care situation currently, so I am covered and prepared for the weather. And alot of stuff I already have.If we needed if we buy it situation. So, Im really not sure what will stay and what will go. Its a family situation so we are good at sharing (sometimes, we are sisters after all) !!!!

--water hoses and spare parts to fix them with (plural, in case one dies a horrible death via horse, lawn mower, truck, you name it...)
    -- spray nozzles (again plural, I swear those suckers break or leak every chance they get!)
    -- weed killer
    -- orange heavy duty extension cord
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

I just built my barn and brought the horses home. I used the Husky Wall Track system as a rake/shovel/broom/fork organization method in my barn aisle, and again as a way to hang wire baskets for shower stuff, grooming supplies, coat hooks, etc. You can move the various hooks and baskets around as needed and it all stays very tidy! You screw the board onto the wall, then the various hooks and baskets just clip in however you want them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2026010...1#.UTc2A1e2BqM

Ditto on the multiple pairs of scissors. They get lost a lot. I also bought a plastic snow sled for taking hay outside to the paddocks in the snow. Much easier than carrying a bale through a foot of snow!

OH!!! Get the old fashioned, metal sprayers for the hoses, too. I've gone through about 10 of the fancier ones, heavy duty and not, and they break within months. Thought "what the heck" and bought a simple old-fashioned one and it's on it's second year
    Quarry Rat

soaking boot
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Ditto the scissors -- tied with a length of baling twine in your hay area to keep them from walking away.

They can even be crappy, dull, bent scissors -- the tension of the twine means a butter knife could do the job, but let said butter knife go missing and the cursing will begin. Once in a great while I do something smart, and this is one for which I continually thank myself.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Caribiner snaps to keep things like pails, trash cans, other things attached to the walls. For horse-use, have extra screw in eyes and double ended brass snaps available. I like to have rubber covered chain chest barriers available to cordon off areas from nosey equines.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Blanket bags

WAY more double end snaps than you think you will ever need

Horse vacuum cleaner

Portable handover the stall edge saddle racks. Useful for more things than saddles