The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone here have Juliana pigs?

I am thinking about purchasing a male and female and need some information on pig keeping. The ad states they are full grown and about 40 lbs. They are outdoor and have never been in a house. The male is castrated but the female is entire. They are UTD on vaccines. They are supposedly very friendly. I am planning to keep them in one of my barns.

Do you know anything at all about raising pigs? Because expecting someone to post here re: everything having to do with raising pigs is a pretty tall order.

If this is going to be your first pig experience, perhaps you should do a websearch or visit the library/local book store?

For starters, did you know that Juliana Pigs have their own association & website? And all I needed to do to find this out was do a websearch on "Juliana Pigs".

http://julianapig.com/
    Last edited by Bacardi1; Mar. 2, 2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Are the Juliana Pigs the "miniature" pigs, like the really miniature ones? Because if they are, everything I have read on non-Juliana pig sites says that they're not a breed, they are that small because of bad breeding to make a regular size animal small, to be more enticing for pets.

That being said, if that is not the case and they are "real" pigs, what I do know is that you should spay the female also, regardless of whether the male is neutered.

That's about all I know. IMO, if you have no idea about pig raising for house pets, you probably shouldn't consider one until you have educated yourself a great deal. Most pigs end up in rescues because people get them as the "next fad" in the pet world, the pig ends up understimulated and wrecks the house, and the person just passes it off to the shelter. There are many pigs in shelters right now, so I would suggest if you're set on having a piggy, you should educate yourself, and then get one from a shelter, instead of buying overpriced mutant miniature pigs.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

FInally got the site to load...so those are not the tiny tiny piggies...I wasn't sure if they were because my internet is slower than death and the site was refusing to open...

Anywho...I still recommend learning much more before adopting any piggy as a pet, and getting one from a shelter instead of buying from a breeder.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."