The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default x

Last edited by ponypappy; Aug. 8, 2013 at 01:06 AM.

Isn't that Catherine Haddad's husband ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I believe so.

I wonder if it's an issue of who the owner is now as opposed to who was the owner at the time of treatment? These records are part of all the ongoing lawsuits, correct?

Wow! Just Wow! I just fead the complaints. If half of what the lawsuit is true, this guy and associates belong in jail.

1 members found this post helpful.

If half of what the lawsuit is true, this guy and associates belong in jail.
    Dear Lord. Sounds complicated. The issue might be around who was the owner or client at the time in question and so who has access to the records?

Innocent until proven guilty.

Sorry, tried to edit for clarity. Yes, the vet needs to turn over the records imo, but the jail reference was for the proported fraud by Parra.

Default As it is documentation from a lawsuit

I'd bet it will all depend on who was the owner at the time of the examination and who is the owner now. Those records are a vital part of a lawsuit. The vet in question might not be in a position to release them.
    Another part of the mess that is Dr Parra and his operations!
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Our local heroes.... You can't be the drama in Hunterdon County. The entertainment value at hand in the area just can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    I'd bet it will all depend on who was the owner at the time of the examination and who is the owner now. Those records are a vital part of a lawsuit. The vet in question might not be in a position to release them.
    Another part of the mess that is Dr Parra and his operations!
    I agree...another factor could be who PAID the vet.

Based on this http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...rra-et-al.aspx
    it might not be clear who actually owned the horse at any given time. If the court found the morgans weren't the owners at the time of the vet treatment could the vet be in trouble if he gave them the records?
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by ponypappy View Post
    state veterinary board rule N.J.A.C. 13:44-4.9(f). It mandates “that copies of a licensee’s record or a summary report of such record and copies of all pertinent objective data and papers pertaining to a given patient… shall be furnished to the patient’s owed, a designated representative or a designated veterinarian within 10 business days of a written request by the owner or duly authorized representative.”
    Just because I say I owned the horse at the time, may not have been the veterinarian's understanding at the time of service. When people are throwing lawsuits around it is a wise individual who takes the conservative course.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

5 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't be surprised if the vet in question had been advised by his own attorney not to release the records.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Based on this http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...rra-et-al.aspx
    it might not be clear who actually owned the horse at any given time. If the court found the morgans weren't the owners at the time of the vet treatment could the vet be in trouble if he gave them the records?
    They actually have nothing to loose, more than they already have, so their lawer will try to ask for everything they can think of, legal or not so much.
    From what I read, I don't think they owned the horse at that point/or paid for the vet visit.

Ex. When you do a PPE on a horse that you don't own, are the result be released to the horse owner? Not at all.
    If you buy the horse, does the ex-owner have to release the horse record? Not at all.

So it is not always that clear.

6 members found this post helpful.

Looks murky and apparently involves shared ownership throughout. Don't know the details here but sometimes it is safer to just get a court ruling before releasing documents when you have a dog's breakfast like this so as not to expose oneself to even more lawsuits from other parties. Of course the records need to be kept in tact but that is standard anyway as part of a vet's professional responsibilities .

We are all just guessing which is not reliable information.

Just chiming in to say I wouldn't crucify the vet just yet without a lot more information.

9 members found this post helpful.

The lawsuits have been thrown, right at Dr. Staller. I do not think the parties involved would spend the time and $ to pursue documents they do not have a right to have, imo
    If it were the case that no plaintiff would ever proceed without being correct, that would be wonderful as we would not need the courts.

Are you involved in this case, ponypappy? You seem to hold a bias agst the vet before all facts are known.

3 members found this post helpful.

The law in NJ is very clear that Veterinarians must keep records on the horses they examine or treat and copies must be turned over with 3 days of receiving a written request for copies. I know these laws exist in most states if you check the professional practice laws. And these laws have existed for sometime because I know there are many Veterinarians who had to store BOXES of records prior to the time when they could be kept on computers.
    In states that have these laws - you should be able to request a complete history of treatment for any horse you own from the attending Veterinarian. I live in NJ and we offer to provide that to potential Buyers.

The Veterinarian Group that we have sends us a list of our horses every few years to ask if they are still alive or owned by us and if they can archive those that are not.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Crockpot - it may be easier - but I see no reason why a Veterinarian would have any basis to require a Court ruling when the owner or even co-owner asked for the records.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If the plaintiffs already have an on-going lawsuit and the vet records are relevant, they could easily get them in discovery as part of a deposition.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned from all the litigation is to stay very far away from Dr. Parra.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

8 members found this post helpful.