The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Drooling cat

I have two newish cats, and fortunately, they seem to be getting along. Both are males. The tuxedo is still quite shy. My vet assured me he was a love bug. I have not found that to be so. He is frightened of me, but he has been coming out during the day, and that is a good sign. When I am able to gather him in for a few minutes, he drools a lot! We are talking serious drool. He seems not to even know it is there. Then it falls upon me, usually my face! I was wondering is this common? I know some cats drool, but usually when it falls on them, they lick their lips, or something.
    Anyone ever experience this. Can I encourage him to lick his lips. When he does purr, it is a deep rumbling purr.
    Another killer of threads

I have one that drools copiously when she is happy. Have you had his teeth/mouth checked?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Default No but

I got him from the vet. He was there a month clearing up anemia from being abandoned in a house for several weeks. They wanted a good home for him, and I think it will be. I am just concerned that he seems blissfully unawre of it. And, it only happens when he purrs.

I actually had a thread about my drooly cat on here! I'll link you to it!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...9-Cat-drooling
    Last edited by zafirah; Mar. 1, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added link

Default Thanks!

I didn't see that thread, and it was illuminating. He does seem quite happy when doing so!
    Can you guys help me name him?
    Since he is a tux, I am thinking along the lines of Mr Bates or Carson the Butler. But after recent repeated viewings of one of my favorite movies, I am also liking Col Brandon from Sense and Sensability. He seems to have quite a bit of dignity about himself.

It did bring forth quite a lot of drooly cat stories! Definitely give him a dignified name Mr [something] or Col [something]

My Remi girl back home is a drool machine when she is happy and purring. My new foster cat is as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Mr Bates
    You cannot call him that. It's a hop, skip and a jump from Master Bates.

Wait until he chills out enough to show you his non-PTSD personality. If he's droolingly happy, you'll be very disappointed to have named him Mr. Bates.
    Last edited by mvp; Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default Oh Dear!

MVP, perhaps you don't watch Downton Abbey. The chief valet is called Mr. Bates, and I guess I have become such an old codger, that MASTER Bates never even occured to me!
    Col Brandon from S&S is a real charmer even though he is so somber. That might be the ticket. I do prefer to let them name themselves tho.

MVP, perhaps you don't watch Downton Abbey.
    I haven't watched Downton Abbey.

But clearly those guys didn't watch the old Richard Prior movie, Brewster's Millions in which the spoiled rich kid is addressed as Master Bates.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

And I have never seen Brewster's Millions!
    He is playing this morning, dare I say, er, he is playing BY himself!?!?!?!

I got him from the vet. He was there a month clearing up anemia from being abandoned in a house for several weeks. They wanted a good home for him, and I think it will be. I am just concerned that he seems blissfully unawre of it. And, it only happens when he purrs.
    Drooling - heavy or light - while purring is completely & totally normal with many cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Drooling - heavy or light - while purring is completely & totally normal with many cats.
    But! Not all of 'em drool while purring. If you draw a Venn diagram of the purring/drooling cats, be sure to note that the more expensive cat goes in the drooling subset. Oh, and they can do the old bait-and-switch. I had a cat who started to take me for granted and stopped drooling while purring. He would get spitty for one of my roommates.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have a very “special” cat – I had raised her since she was very tiny (caught along with a whole mess of feral cats living by a highway).

For a long time she was very skittish – and one day things just clicked for her, and she became the snuggliest, most affectionate and trusting sweetest kitty (to me, took three more years to decide the hubby was okay – all strangers? NO Way! Hide under the bed time!).

Any way – she also DROOLS – used to really seem to save it up in her mouth and TRY to get it on you! (yuck!) To discourage this, I started gently pressing on the corner of her mouth – which would cause her to open her mouth- and SWALLOW – saving me from the drool fest. I also have to be careful not to let her have my fingers etc, as she would try to rub her gums on them – and more drooling.

For her, the drooling seems related to kneading / cuddling, and other behavior that mimics nursing – I had always assumed that is why they knead and drool.

Once I was consistent with the gentle mouth pokes / no rubbing mouth on fingers etc – the drool baths have stopped. She now purrs like crazy, kneads, cuddles, and SWALLOWS – I can hear her make these big swallows. I personally do not like getting covered with cat drool, so I am happy she has been “trained” not to drool on me!

1 members found this post helpful.

Disgusting as it is, it usually means they are happy. I have a couple that will purr, purr, purr and drool all over me. Icky. but they are so content it's hard to be too worried about it. That said now that I think about it, my biggest drooler has basically stopped. She's still happy and purry but doesn't drool so much anymore.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Default Thanks to you all for your replies.

Appsolute, I will try that. It appears that she, it is a she [!] is coming out of her shell, and now adores me. She has a very loud purr, and it comes out of her whole body.
    So out with the Carsonthebutler, and Mr Bates names. Back to something more whimsical, like Skittles or Tidbit.

Aw, too bad! I was going to suggest "Tom Drooley"
    <reference to a very old song>

One of my cats literally drips drool (like a leaky faucet) when I pet her. She was a stray and in really bad shape when she came to us....she had a large, infected ulcer on her lip and in her mouth. All her teeth fell out and I wonder if the drooling is worse for her because she doesn't have any teeth.

That said, one of my other cats drools sometimes and she has all her teeth. But she doesn't drool as much as the other one. I also knew a really sweet barn cat that would drool on whoever was petting him.

The drooling is especially fun when they shake their head and the drool sprays everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    The drooling is especially fun when they shake their head and the drool sprays everywhere!
    Yeah, that's bad but I'll take it over what my sister's cat does. He has a chronic snotty nose (and yes, he's been to the vet MULTIPLE times) and when he shakes his head...
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com