The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone else's horse like wine?

Chardonnay, to be specific.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I bought a Selle Francais mare in Lyon, France...the agreement before I could buy her was every Sunday she was to have a loaf of stale French bread with a bottle of white wine poured over it. So, every Sunday I'd be getting her bucket ready and she'd be making low whuffles over her Sunday treat. She was pretty dainty and happily slurped it all up.

She didn't like red wine, only white. She was a great mare. She liked Champagne, but the fizz made her make faces.

I had a Shetland pony who loved beer...maybe it's the Brit in him vs. the French mare with wine?
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

1 members found this post helpful.

No, but my goat does.

I have never had wine around my horses..but I do drink it. I do have my old show horse, who, since the first day he smelled beer, was totally in LOVE! I should give him a beer every Sunday now that he's 27...he would be the first to tell me that he's earned it!

Well, my guy can smell beer on my breath and won't stop mugging me, so I'm sure there are probably horses that enjoy wine.
    Quarry Rat

Cloudy is mutlicultural: His sire and dam were German as is he, but his paternal grandsire was Dutch, and his maternal great-grandsire was French. So he drinks. Everything.

He drinks beer, of course. He's had the occasional wine, red, and especially likes mulled wine or straight scotch at oyster roasts. (This is Savannah, naturally.) (Ok so he drinks Coke and orange juice and POM drinks, and gatorade, and everything.)

I did balk when I found one alcoholic boarder giving him vodka in gatorade. There are no Russian warmbloods in his ancestry.

Callie, a KY TB mare, did not like any of those drinks.
    Hattie drinks a little beer, and gatorade and orange juice, but doesn't like POM or wine. (She's a minnesota trak.)

When i was growing up with my horses at home, my father gave beer to my horses. He said it was good for them. Turns out father knew best.

The last horse I had before I went to college would do anything for a beer. It was THE way to get him to load. Haven't tried beer on Mondy yet.

I bred a TB mare to a nice RID stallion and got a fabulous colt that loved beer, white wine and margaritas. That was all he was ever exposed to, but would probably have drunk ANYthing. Husband wanted to call him "Lush," but we ended up calling him "Whiskey."
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Mine loves red wine. He'll steal some from my glass if I'm not paying attention. He's also a Selle Francais from France
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I've always heard that horses loved beer, something about the hops was good for helping them sweat and clearing up colic. Also in mares that don't produce milk, give her a beer and bam! Full bag!

I had an AQHA stallion that would all but climb over the fence for a Monster Import energy drink, and my TB and Quarab geldings enjoyed the occasional McDonalds diet coke, through a straw nonetheless.

I'd love to try giving Sweet Pete a beer. What type/brand would be good? Light/dark?

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I bought a Selle Francais mare in Lyon, France...the agreement before I could buy her was every Sunday she was to have a loaf of stale French bread with a bottle of white wine poured over it. So, every Sunday I'd be getting her bucket ready and she'd be making low whuffles over her Sunday treat. She was pretty dainty and happily slurped it all up.

My Trakehner/TB jumper loved to get the ice cubes from the whiskey glass of our barn owner. Funny!
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

My Paint/TWH cross mare rather likes a Pinot Grigio and Zinfandel.

My Tb/Trak mare won't touch wine in any way shape or form. She does quite like beer, though. Seems to have a preference for Yingling.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

My mare likes to "whine" just for fun. No alcohol involved!

I had a gelding who loved white wine. It was the only thing that would get him to stand for the vet. I had a jug of cheap wine just for him. (I wasn't going to give him the good stuff).
    I'd put it in a thick tempered glass and he would stick his tongue in and out of it until he'd gotten it all. He'd get a cross eyed look while he was drinking..

Default can't afford what Cristal likes

My Cheval Canadien--Fortin Uvani Cristal (named Cristal in a "C" year)--always wants my wine when I'm wandering my backyard fenceline with my glass of red after a stressful day at work. Can't afford high end champagne! I allow him a slurp or two of red wine out of my hand...he loves it!

I am amazed how many of you expose your horses to the, erm, spirits.

I never had any handy at the barn.

I think I need to hang my head in shame....my Granddaddy rode his steed into the pub, a beer for him one for the horse....

As to what kind to try on a horse...pick one you drink. So when the hoofer declines the beverage, you are not stuck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Hmm... my BO is a beer drinker moreso than a wine drinker, and the horse i ride has had some beer to my knowledge. I would be SHOCKED if he didn't like it.
    Those Guinness adverts with the horses weren't kidding- they really do like guinness!

My horse is named after Chardonnay, does that count?

Why, yes. Yes it does. Give him some and see if he likes it!