The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddle fitters re: need to reflock a Barnsby foam/composite saddle??

Okay, colour me confused.

I just sent off a saddle to be sold at a fairly large saddle fitter/tack store about 3 hours away from me. I wasn't sure of the value so I asked them to call me once they have a chance to appraise it and we can decide what to list it as.

Their saddle fitter just called me and advised that they recommend selling it at X price because "the saddle needs to be reflocked".

The saddle is a Barnsby made with the foam/felt flocking version (composite) not the full wool version. I purchased the saddle new about 1 1/2 years ago. When I initially started looking into selling it (my 4 year old mare grew and became --wide--), I emailed Barnsby with the serial number and they were able to confirm that it was the foam/felt version.

I don't understand. Can someone explain to me whether a 'composite panel' Barnsby saddle would need to be reflocked?

Sorry - I'm trying to be vague re model so this isn't construed as an advertisement....

I am no help as I never heard of a composite panel, it has always been one or the other, foam or wool. I'm just curious to hear the explanation. Is it possible the tack shop just doesn't know what they are talking about? Foam panels don't get "reflocked" - they can only be replaced. Wool is reflocked, meaning they are stuffed with new wool. Are your panels stuffed with a combination of felt and foam bits of material instead? That sounds like a cheap alternative to wool but I would not expect that from Barnsby which is supposed to be a quality product.

Have you considered just getting the tree widened? Barnsby offers that service.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Okay, this is how the Barnsby website describes it:
    Built on a tree specifically designed to accommodate the forward position of the jump rider yet allow the unimpeded movement of the horse's shoulder and forehand, the saddle comes with a choice of hand crafted felt and latex foam or or natural wool flocked panels.

I *know* it is not wool. I have the same saddle (different tree size) in wool flocked and it works perfectly. It also looks different - thicker panels and less of that "close contact" foam feel. The saddle fitter who confirmed that the mare outgrew also said that it is not wool.

It saddens me to think that the only saddle shop I've trusted in the area doesn't really know what they are talking about...

Has anyone actually opened one of the Barnsby saddles up to replace the foam? Would that ever be necessary after 1 1/2 years of light riding?

I have another brand saddle that is felt flocked and at best it can be shimmed. It cannot be reflocked. I have never heard of being able to reflock a foam flocked saddle. I have heard of converting from foam to wool or Cair to wool.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Get your saddle back. They don't know what they are talking about.

1 members found this post helpful.