The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EHV 1 vaccine for boosted immunity?

Is anyone else's vet recommending that they vaccinate now, so in 3-4 weeks when horses from HITS return to the area our horses have immunity? The horses in Fl. test possitive for the 'wild strain' not the 'mutant strain' and I think the 'wild strain' is the one the vaccine works for. Advice/Opinions Please.

There is at the very least anecdotal evidence that show over-vaccination may make a horse more likely to develop neuro symptoms if he comes in contact with the virus. I personally define over vaccination at more than twice per year, your definition may be different.

There is indeed some evidence that the regular vaccine can provide some marginal protection against the neuro form.

I'm a little confused as well. My guy had his as part of a 4-part vaccine? last March, and then a booster in April, prior to coming to my current barn. Yesterday chatted with a large animal vet who was at the barn, who mentioned that repeating it every several months wasn't a bad idea... But then said my guy would be okay if we wait for yearly vaccine time next month. Confusing.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    There is indeed some evidence that the regular vaccine can provide some marginal protection against the neuro form.
    Could you post a source please? Everything I've heard and from all the vets I have ask it is pretty much worthless as far as keeping a horse from getting EHV1.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Could you post a source please? Everything I've heard and from all the vets I have ask it is pretty much worthless as far as keeping a horse from getting EHV1.
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/ehv1_vaccination.cfm
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Hmmmm. My take from that link is that the vaccine does nothing to help prevent it in your own horse? You feel otherwise? I'veseen that link posted before as an argument NOT to vaccinate.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    There is at the very least anecdotal evidence that show over-vaccination may make a horse more likely to develop neuro symptoms if he comes in contact with the virus. I personally define over vaccination at more than twice per year, your definition may be different.
    Several years ago, one of my vets told me that vaccinating increased susceptibility of the neuro form and that the data was presented at one of the AAEP conferences. I have never seen the data published, and I always wondered if the big pharmas squashed it.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Hmmmm. My take from that link is that the vaccine does nothing to help prevent it in your own horse? You feel otherwise? I'veseen that link posted before as an argument NOT to vaccinate.
    I'm not a vet, and I would consult with my vet who is familiar with my horses and my situation; and I would certainly NOT want to accept the responsibility and consequences of offering veterinary advice without a license. I suggest others seek advice from their vet.

That said, I do think it makes sense to educate oneself using expert resources which are available online. Here is the quote from the link, which I believe is self-explanatory.

"On premises with confirmed clinical EHV-1 infection (any form), booster vaccination of horses that are likely to have been exposed already is not recommended. However, it seems rational to booster vaccinate nonexposed horses as well as horses that must enter the premises with one of the four vaccines listed above if they have not been vaccinated against EHV-1 within the past 60 days. This approach relies on the assumption that the immune system of most mature horses has already been "primed" by prior exposure to EHV-1 antigens through field infection or vaccination and can therefore be "boosted" within 7 to 10 days of administration of a single dose of vaccine."

from
    Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ldaziens View Post
    I'm not a vet, and I would consult with my vet who is familiar with my horses and my situation; and I would certainly NOT want to accept the responsibility and consequences of offering veterinary advice without a license. I suggest others seek advice from their vet.

That said, I do think it makes sense to educate oneself using expert resources which are available online. Here is the quote from the link, which I believe is self-explanatory.

"On premises with confirmed clinical EHV-1 infection (any form), booster vaccination of horses that are likely to have been exposed already is not recommended. However, it seems rational to booster vaccinate nonexposed horses as well as horses that must enter the premises with one of the four vaccines listed above if they have not been vaccinated against EHV-1 within the past 60 days. This approach relies on the assumption that the immune system of most mature horses has already been "primed" by prior exposure to EHV-1 antigens through field infection or vaccination and can therefore be "boosted" within 7 to 10 days of administration of a single dose of vaccine."

from
    But, read the rest. Basically saying it hopefully slows down shedding but nothing about protecting the horse. That is the same info I have found before. Nothing helps protect a horse against the neuro form. And of course, this is all guessing anyway.

"While this approach does not guarantee protection of individual horses against the potentially fatal neurological form of EHV-1, the hope is that reduced nasal shedding of infectious EHV-1 by recently vaccinated horses will indirectly help protect other horses by reducing the dose of virus to which they are exposed."

Yes, I mis-remembered - vaccination is not about the horse being vaccinated, it's about trying to reduce risk of shedding EHM to others.

Thanks JB, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything new out there that the vaccine might help.

Maybe soon, especially now that we (unfortunately) seem to have more occurrences I did read when looking for a cite that there is something being worked on, but who knows how long it will take (and "worked on" might be "people thinking about writing down on paper" lol)