The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how to put a value on my kubota tractor for resale?

we're selling my 2002 L3010 mid size kubota with the loader, small bale spear, post hole digger and small harrow.
    it's got 1750 hours on it. we're the original owners and it's mostly been used for plowing snow.
    blue book is all over the place-- from a high of 17thousand down to 6800!
    so, is 1750 hours a lot? i have no frame of reference i guess.
    my barn owner is considering taking it in trade for board for my horse, so i have to figure out it's worth so we're both happy with the deal.
    thanks for your help!

Didn't try to use this myself http://www.ironsearch.com/appraiser/default.aspx

Looks like your price will vary by region as well as hours and condition, how many hyd connections you have, ie is there one for an FEL in front and the option to hook up an hydraulic item on the three point hitch or yet another one free standing next to the tractor. We have two, one for the FEL and one in the back to which we can hook up a log splitter or the baby backhoe. Ours, in all honesty, is "rough".
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1750 hours isn't low, but Kubotas go "forever" if properly maintained. You might actually want to talk to one or more local Kubota dealers about what it might be worth to trade or consign since local demand also affects value.

It's a common model, so you should be able to find a lot of for sale ads to look at, although what people ask and what they actually get may not be quite the same.

I think you'll end up about half way between your two extremes. 1750 hours is quite a lot for a small tractor but I don't think you'll see one in reasonable condition with a loader for much less than $10K.

We have a Kubota 2910. It is a 1997 model, bought new. It has 1000 hours on it as of the end of last season. I mow every other week pretty much during the entire grass growing months, and we use the front loader when we need to use it, also a tiller, and post hole digger. I have also mowed other people's pasture's too, on many many occasions over the years, 50-100 A at a time or more.

Maybe there is more snow during the year there, than there is grass growing time here.

I live in da south, grass really grows fast here. I mow 15A at our place.

I do think 1750 is alot of hours for a tractor.

You could find out what tractor's go for at auction. We have a huge auction place here which has equipment auction's every other month. Kubota sells well, and they are snapped up quick if they are shiny and clean.

You could test the market, and see what it will sell for. Only the market will truly be the determiner of what it is worth.

thanks for your replies!
    i spoke with the guy at the local equipment rental place and he was super healpful. says that a farmer will think it's got very little hours but a homeowner will think it's a lot,lol.
    also they go forever on spit and baling twine. he says with the extra stuff ask for 12 and settle on 10.
    we shall see!

p.s. it's not that we have a ton of snow but that my dh is a maniac about plowing the drive way,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    p.s. it's not that we have a ton of snow but that my dh is a maniac about plowing the drive way,lol.
    You live where exacly? And you dont get a ton of show?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I meant snow, small keyboard.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

doesn't seen like a lot to us i guess,lol.

Best site for used tractor prices, good luck!

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...A&MDLGrp=L3010

If you're going to trade it for board, make sure you write a contract so that you get the remaining value in cash if for any reason you no longer have a horse boarded there.

I would make up a statement showing the balance less this month's board, and submit that each month instead of a board check. That way you don't get to the end and have a disagreement about what's left.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

$5 - send it to me, I'll mail a check & take it off your hands...

Seriously, I think wsmoak has the best suggestion.
    Like a mortgage statement - so noone involved in the deal has room for forgetting details
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

we'll most def have a contract.
    i may even take my horse with me after a year on the road, in which case i will still have to have payments made.
    we'll probably write the contract for so many months board for the rig and go frmo there.
    if i take my horse out west for a year i could rent my stall out but don't really care for that idea.
    must think of a way to make it fair for both of us. i guess if i take her out eventually, or god forbid she passes away while i'm traveling, then the barn owner will still owe me--and i'm sure she doesn't want to have to start making payments down the line.
    she may not go for it anyway, but i'd better be thinking about the details now!

why not just sale the tractor outright, put those funds in a direct draw account and let the barn owner debit the account each month that the horse is under their control?

My thoughts are what if tractor dies an untimely death..like the week of the day after the deal is completed.... a home owner sale of a tractor has no implied warranty as it is buyer beware; however this bartered deal does have an implied sense of value

Also, there is little thing of exchanging of 1099-MISC for values exchanged that should take place.... but I do not expect that to happen since it is common place for the New Englanders to barter