The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prepping my truck to haul a trailer

I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 gas, automatic tranny. I'm trailer shopping, hope to buy something by spring. Probably a GN, but I'm not averse to a BP if the right one comes along.
    Anyway, I'm planning to take the truck to my mechanic for a thorough review before hauling anything. But this will be my first trailer, can COTH tell me anything specific that my mechanic will need to inspect/replace/upgrade?

I know my husband installed a trailer brake controller in ours when I bought my trailer. That was the only modification we made. We have the same truck, but a 2004 Diesel and it was awesome at hauling.

You need to know the GCVWR and axle ratings of "YOUR" truck before buying a trailer. Stay under those ratings and you'll be okay for hauling.

Make sure the trailer fits the truck regarding hitch weights, neck over heights, hitch height. Otherwise something will get bent.

4martini is correct unless you already have a brake controller installed.

Be prepared for sticker shock when looking for a gooseneck hitch !!! I nearly fell on the floor when I started calling around to find out how much it cost to install them !! The average I found was about 1k installed. Some were a little less, some about $1200.

transmission cooler, brakes need checked with the possibility of the brake fluid being replaced, service transmission

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    Be prepared for sticker shock when looking for a gooseneck hitch !!! I nearly fell on the floor when I started calling around to find out how much it cost to install them !! The average I found was about 1k installed. Some were a little less, some about $1200.
    Yikes ... labor must be very high in your area. A B+W hitch can be a DIY install. So around $500 plus labor for the very best hitch. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Yikes ... labor must be very high in your area. A B+W hitch can be a DIY install. So around $500 plus labor for the very best hitch. IMHO
    This was my price as well. I paid $480 for the best hitch, wires run for the lights, and labor. $1200 is highway robbery.

For me it was the brake box ($40 installed), GN hitch, and just a general check on my truck to make sure that everything was in order. I also got a floor jack that has saved me numerous times for the truck as well as a spare tire fixing kit (tire iron that fits both truck and trailer, air compressor that plugs into the truck, trailer aid, cones, tire gage, and whatever else I need) courtesy of the boyfriend.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I just paid 900.00 for an new one installed

Thanks everyone!!!

Not mechanical, but when I started hauling my trailer I got a fancier flare/warning triangle system for the truck, figuring that if I ever had to be by the side of the road with a full rig I'd want much more warning than just yield lights.
    life + horses
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

For the TurnoverBall, you cannot beat the price from Tweety's.com

I also got my Reese brake controller from them.

I would ask your mechanic about an additional tranny cooler.

Lastly, sign up for roadside coverage with USRider. Never haul without it
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 gas, automatic tranny. I'm trailer shopping, hope to buy something by spring. Probably a GN, but I'm not averse to a BP if the right one comes along.
    Anyway, I'm planning to take the truck to my mechanic for a thorough review before hauling anything. But this will be my first trailer, can COTH tell me anything specific that my mechanic will need to inspect/replace/upgrade?
    Make sure it has a transmission cooler. This can be added after-market. However, make sure they use copper lines, not hose lines for the tranny fluid. I had a truck with an after-market tranny cooler and blew out the lines three times before a smart mechanic suggested replacing the hoses with copper.