The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I was going to post this question, then saw this thread.

Can anyone tell me what to expect if you're bringing a stallion to ride in a Buck Brannaman clinic? All replies are appreciated, but I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has ridden a stallion in a clinic, and from clinic sponsors.

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    As Ray would say "If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, I wasn't talking about you anyway".
    I've heard the quote a bunch, and can generally ascribe to it, but Buck just came across as bitter towards h1. Being around that much negativity for 3 days, even if not directed at me I think, was draining. My fiancé was a spectator, and she was flat out disgusted (she's a dressage rider).

Otoh, the h2 class was much more upbeat, with MUCH more one on one coaching and more positive comments. As soon as he shook his rope down, he became a different person. I remember commenting I'd only ever consider riding in that class, but for the money, I'd rider with one of the other guys I'd listed.

Just struck me as burnt out teaching beginners. High River is last on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    those aren't Buck issues, those are idiot participant issues.
    Some are. But I didn't say they're all Buck's fault, just what I experienced. No hard feelings towards him, just wouldn't go back.

This isn't my first rodeo, I've ridden with some good hands, and my horse is in the two rein. It's the first time my horse as come back mentally fried from a clinic however, and it took two weeks for him to let down to normal again. Again, not a judgement, just a fact.

aktill, How many horses were in the clinic in question, and what size was the arena? One person's crowded is another's normal. I am not doubting the person's ...atkills, i mean...aggravation level...but let's get some facts on paper to yield some perspective. To me its like the question " what are the trails like at------? Rocky. Yeah? How rocky??? " ummm, rocky?
    No worries, no offence taken. I couldn't find a size, but to estimate, it's probably two thirds the size of the indoor I normally ride in (which is 25 x 65m). There were either 24 or 26 riders in there at one time, and I think just under 20 for h2.

Add a horse on the end of a line at one end, and so knock 20% off, and it's only enough room to swing a cat if he's holding his claws in

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Well and one person's "it was too crowded for longeing!" is another person's "don't freak out b/c another horse is close to your edgy horse"

To be honest, I trust Buck's handling of any clinic over any participant's "I didn't get what I wanted"... He's a pro. Unless you have a good idea of who you are sharing the arena with don't blame the guy that shows up to a class of high maintenance newbies and tries to teach them how to communicate clearly. He's not there to hold your hand or make sure you get enough face time or that your horse doesn't get scared of the circling horse next to you.
    Again, not judging Buck, just stating what someone might expect to encounter. I knew what to expect from the clinic since I'd seen the same thing the last time around, I just didn't realize how overwhelming it would be to ride in that environment. I would have got more out of auditing again.

As to your last comment, my horse couldn't care less if someone runs into him, never mind circles beside him. But when some yokel can't read their horse enough to control them, I'm not about to let my future bridle horse get crippled because he can't get out of the way due to the crowd. Too many hundreds of hours invested thanks! Buck did eventually comment to the guy saying he might want to do some ground work before he got bucked off.

When the lady got reared up on on the first day, Buck's only comment was "that was weird".

Again, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyi View Post
    laskiblue,

I think you'd get a lot from auditing the FH clinic. There's so much information to absorb that sitting in the bleachers watching and listening really is very valuable. I also take notes whenever I audit a clinic. I think when you ride in a clinic, it's beneficial because you're able to address specific issues on the horse you're working with. But, when you audit, you can see all of the horses and riders in the class and watch what they're working on - and how the clinician helps them with their respective problems. And, as someone else mentioned, auditing is a great way to decide if you want to clinic with that clinician. Every clinician is not for every rider. Some you click with, some not so much.
    Definitely agree! Watching Buck years before was what got me the bridle horse bug. I got tons out of watching, but after years of hard study before actually riding in a clinic with him, surprisingly little from that experience directly. I got more from asking Buck questions in the chat sessions than I did from the riding part.

For example, Buck makes a different looking bridle horse compared to others that focus more on the hackamore stages, for example (Caldwell, Sandifer, Nichol). His emphasis on the snaffle and his leading rein exercises develop a different looking horse. It was cool to hear his take on things, even if ultimately I'm preferring the non-snaffle progression myself.

It sounds like that was a strange group of people. I never been to a clinic, though. Rearing over backwards? Wow. Maybe they should have just swallowed their pride and got off when their horse acted up to the point where they were in over their head? Where was this clinic? I am wondering if it was in California, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by aktill View Post
    No worries, no offence taken. I couldn't find a size, but to estimate, it's probably two thirds the size of the indoor I normally ride in (which is 25 x 65m). There were either 24 or 26 riders in there at one time, and I think just under 20 for h2.

Add a horse on the end of a line at one end, and so knock 20% off, and it's only enough room to swing a cat if he's holding his claws in
    That does sound messy. In the Larry W clinic I referenced above we had about 20 riders in a space slightly larger than the one you describe, and yes- it only takes 2-3 that will not, cannot, and shall not look where they are going to create a big mess. One of our riders got kicked in the leg when she didn't recognize that another rider's horse was making faces at her mare- and NEITHER rider knew how to see what was coming. I saw it from 3 horses away- BLAM and I'll be john brown, the gal on the horse that kicked out- never flinched. I honestly think that she didn't KNOW her horse had kicked another. Just dangerous all the way around.

Like you- I expected 'most' attendees that paid up, hauled in, and rode, would be at least sort of prepared. And boy, I was wrong.

Thank you for understanding that I was honestly asking those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    I was going to post this question, then saw this thread.

Can anyone tell me what to expect if you're bringing a stallion to ride in a Buck Brannaman clinic? All replies are appreciated, but I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has ridden a stallion in a clinic, and from clinic sponsors.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I would make sure the organizer, facility, and Buck are OK with this.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    It sounds like that was a strange group of people. I never been to a clinic, though. Rearing over backwards? Wow. Maybe they should have just swallowed their pride and got off when their horse acted up to the point where they were in over their head? Where was this clinic? I am wondering if it was in California, for some reason.
    Nope, High River AB (his only Canadian stop). Based off the personalities involved, I doubt they saw it coming.

Like you- I expected 'most' attendees that paid up, hauled in, and rode, would be at least sort of prepared. And boy, I was wrong.
    Why anyone would pay $600+ with stable fees and then not fully participate, I have no idea.

One of the other participants made the comment that some people seem to just show up for these clinics just to be able to say that they've ridden with Buck. In some cases, I could see why they said that.

In a few noticable cases "mommy and daddy" had clearly paid for the spot, and there were a few kids more interested in talking with each other rather than paying attention.

Moreso, however, I just felt like people were overwhelmed with trying to to process too much at once. For most, the environment alone was a challenge, with a couple hundred VERY noisy spectators (Buck told them off a few times), an artist's showcase, and the 20+ riders all at once. Then for those that didn't know Buck's exercises too, I can't even imagine trying to process all that at once.

That does sound like a big mess and no, I don't blame you for not wanting to get your good horse hurt.

Some folks have more money than skills or interest in learning. A lot of people go to those clinics just to say they did. Ruins it for the rest!

Ack, now I'm getting scared that I shouldn't do it!!!!!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Why not?

Pocket, Call the Organizer. Ask how big the arena is. Ask how many riders, and how many auditors. And go from there.

I considered a clinic of Buck's, but it was already full. That Organizer told me she was topping Auditors at 50, and she was sorting how much to charge them to audit (I want to say 50/each) and considering having them sign an agreement to hold questions until offered times,agree to xy and z, etc to attempt to hold them accountable to shut up and let the riders be the focus.

So, ask.

Agree. Tell the organizer your concerns and see how well the clinic structure will mesh with your goals.

I looked at your blog-I think you would get a lot of out of the clinic and really enjoy it. You do a lot with Mac and what you learn from Buck can be applied to all your activities.

PP, I think the Red Bluff clinic is a long standing one and the organizer knows what she's doing. Call, if you have concerns, of course, but I'm pretty sure it should be a really good clinic. It looks like it's at a fairgrounds and they usually have pretty good sized arenas. I think you'll really enjoy working with Buck and it sounds like you've done your pre-homework, so you should have a good experience. As popular as the clinics have become, the people who know to sign up enough in advance to get a spot usually know what's going on and there shouldn't be too many tourists .
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

1 members found this post helpful.

As for a stallion, I haven't seen one in the clinics I've ridden in.

My mom attended a clinic where a trainer rode someone's Arab stallion in one session, another horse in the afternoon. Said stallion was distracted and attracted...Buck nicknamed the horse 'Woody'...but the trainer was able to keep any messy interactions in check.

I would absolutely not go to a Buck clinic with a stallion unless I had first contacted the organizer. If it is a horse that has gone out in public (showing, branding, etc.) before with no issues affecting others' horses, there should be no problem.

But if you're taking the stallion because you are having some problems that will affect others and their horses in the clinic, you need to make sure that Buck and the organizers know this in advance. Typically Buck has assistance from an apprentice, his daughter, or other local friends that can handle a big problem if the horse owner/rider isn't up to it, but there is only room for a few of these problem horses per clinic, without totally disrupting everyone else's experience (and getting people hurt).

What to expect at a Buck clinic? You have to be willing to participate and take ownership of your own issues that are causing whatever horse problems you have. If you're going to have a hard time (being embarrassed and/or defensive) if Buck calls you out...you're going to have a really hard time. Or you are going to spend all of your time avoiding 'the spotlight' and thus miss out on digging into your real issues, and get not much out of the clinic. But to my mind, it is an honor to be called out, and told you have everything backwards, because at that point, you can let go and learn how to fix it.
    Buck doesn't have a lot of face time, a lot of talking you through so you get everything right. You have to think for yourself, and that is a bigger gift to your learning than if you had been spoon-fed through an exercise.

At my first Buck clinic, my OTTB was dragging me around by the lead rope. The first thing Buck did in the clinic was take the horse away from me. I wanted to disappear. After I got over my ego, though, I realized that everyone else was rooting for me to learn, rather than judging me for having a poorly behaved horse. I was worried about the other clinic participants losing their learning time because my horse was poorly behaved...but most of them were learning how to deal with a horse that needed for you to be firm...yet freaked out when you got firm because, as Buck said, "Somebody worked this horse over." Twenty minutes later my horse was at peace. Buck had been answering questions and making comments as he worked, and this was a learning opportunity for every participant if they cared to engage.

And yes, I'm SURE there were people judging my ability, or lack of same. And there were also people griping because THEY already knew how to handle a touchy, bossy horse on the ground. But I had to let go of that. Buck's clinics are about providing a learning opportunity for everyone. And if you can't engage and participate with what is going on, you're just going to learn how to twirl your rope around and get your horse to go here and there, and do this or that exercise.

My next Buck clinic felt TOTALLY different. I was comfortable with whatever ability OR lack of ability I demonstrated. I cared to get it right, for the horse's sake and because I was paying to learn from Buck, but I didn't care what the spectators were thinking. That was SO freeing. It took a couple of years, but when I rode into the arena on the same OTTB, I realized what a favor Buck had done me by 'embarrassing me' and 'taking up everyone els'es time'.

The second most valuable thing I got from a Buck clinic, was the mentorship and friendship that developed from meeting one of Buck's local friends. Buck knows this fellow from Ray Hunt clinics in the late 70's and early 80's. I had NO idea that there was someone local who had such a deep understanding of what Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt and now Buck are really all about. And since four days at a Buck clinic were a great start, but nowhere near enough for me (over my head with the OTTB), I was able to get further instruction.

So, PocketPony, please do go to the Buck clinic,! It can be a life-changing experience if you let it.

7 members found this post helpful.

I was guessing California because it had so many people. . I'm sorry that was such a bad experience.

You guys have me all psyched to audit a cliic, but, alas, none near me any time soon. That's okay, I'll just read your experiences when you get back.

Yes, I contacted the clinic sponsor well before the clinic schedule was even posted. I wanted to make sure it was okay. From what they told me, there have been as many as three stallions in one class in years past. And this is not a horse with problems, or issues. He's just the horse I'm going to be riding.

Funny about the horse nicknamed "Woody"...