The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

After reading this thread, I am not sure I'd really want to go ride with Buck. I hope I'm wrong, but he seems to be a good horseman, but not a good people person. I want both. If I'm paying to see a presenter, he has to present to ME, and not just the horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Is he particular about bits? It seems like the clinician types all have their own bits/halters to sell you.

I doubt I'd ever get to audit a clinic of his because I don't think he's ever been down to northern Florida.

I look up his schedule whenever I am going home to Colorado to visit family, but it never pans out.

From what I have seen in the clinics I've audited, Buck was very good with the people riding in the clinic. He was engaging, helpful, and encouraging to people who were making an effort. The only people he didn't speak to were the few who were obviously not trying and just doing their own thing. He took everyone's questions and helped those who were really having a hard time - or in trouble. He even took lots of questions from the people auditing - which I thought was generous on his part.

I would highly recommend auditing a clinic before making the decision to either ride or not. Auditing has been wonderful for me. I learned so much from just watching and taking notes. After you see for yourself what the clinics are like, then you can decide if it's something that suits you or not.

he is in Wellborne, Fl from time to time.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is he particular about bits? It seems like the clinician types all have their own bits/halters to sell you.
    From what I've seen and read, he prefers simple snaffles in the colt class, FH, and H1. You can ride in a bosal in FH and above. I think you can ride in the two-rein in H1 and above as well. Others who know more than I do can probably comment on this better than I can though.

As far as I've seen, BB doesn't hawk his wares or try to get anyone to buy anything with his name on it. There are no carrot sticks, special bridles, bits, saddles or flags that he pushes on you. He does endorse certain saddle makers, halter manufacturers, bit makers, and has his name on a line of flags and halters, but there is never any pushing of product. He does tell you what he likes to use - which I think is nice because lots of people want to know what he thinks is a good bit / saddle / halter etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyi View Post
    From what I've seen and read, he prefers simple snaffles in the colt class, FH, and H1. You can ride in a bosal in FH and above. I think you can ride in the two-rein in H1 and above as well. Others who know more than I do can probably comment on this better than I can though.

As far as I've seen, BB doesn't hawk his wares or try to get anyone to buy anything with his name on it. There are no carrot sticks, special bridles, bits, saddles or flags that he pushes on you. He does endorse certain saddle makers, halter manufacturers, bit makers, and has his name on a line of flags and halters, but there is never any pushing of product. He does tell you what he likes to use - which I think is nice because lots of people want to know what he thinks is a good bit / saddle / halter etc.
    100% correct

My husband and I are riding in the Red Bluff clinic too! We ride with Buck 3 or 4 times a year. My husband is in your class and I'm riding in the evening class. Although we might switch that up depending on what horses we bring so you will be among friends! We'll be riding our western horses at Red Bluff, but we are both old eventers! My husband's mare is one of my former event horses. Don't sweat it, it is a friendly group and the whole clinic has a really good vibe about it. Tina, the host and her daughter both ride in their english tack. There has been plenty of English riders (on gorgeous horses) since I've been attending. Tina has a hunter jumper barn. I second what everyone else has suggested about how to prepare. For the Foundation class, working through Buck's little red groundwork book would be helpful as well. I would not ride with a martingale. I have never heard him be in favor of any type of gimmick. Breeches and boots are fine probably a third of the H1 class was wearing them last year. Also if you do have a question during class when Buck is in the middle, don't hesitate to go up and ask. Just do not crowd his horse and really listen to what he tells you. He appreciates the courage it takes to ask him a question and is really very kind. Another don't is to interrupt him when he is warming up or schooling his own horse. It is a really good idea to be there early! He expects you to put in the time you need with your horse. Plus if you're there early you will get to observe him riding his own horse which is very cool. The foundation class is usually given homework to work on so be prepared to do it and have it working for you the next day. He knows if you don't and he will call you out on it. Getting your horse up to the fence and working above them was one of our homework assignments at a clinic last year. After the first day you'll get it all figured out. The first day is a little crazy, but by the last two days you don't really notice the other people. Buck is such a great teacher, he does a great job of keeping everyone safe and you won't be riding until he feels the class is ready. Whew! Sorry for the book! :-)

6 members found this post helpful.

Beautifully said, Retropony! I agree with what you say, and the spirit that you describe about the clinics.

Plain, single-jointed snaffle to start horses out, then whatever your horse is ready for. I have a friend--my own mentor--who will ride his bridle horse in an H1 class, if that's all that's offered, just to have a chance to ride with Buck. And Buck deals with it, without taking anything away from the rest of the class.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

It's not about the tools, it's about how you use them. Spurs often get quite a bit of attention too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyi View Post

Every trainer is selling something and they should. They need to to stay in business.

A good family friend is a clinician who is now very successful but in the early days selling those halters and flags was the only way he made any money. It was also easier to teach his class when everyone had the same equipment and usually the students wanted what he was using anyway b/c it was good gear.

There is a point where it goes too far *cough parelli cough* but there is a point to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Every trainer is selling something and they should. They need to to stay in business.
    You mean like this fine horsemanship product.

http://shop.parellinaturalhorsetrain...productId=1969

FYI. The company that sells BB's halters, leads, and flags is owned by a longtime friend of BB's who is also a clinic host and participant.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks again - Retropony, I look forward to meeting you and your husband. I'll be with my mustang (in my blog link below) Mac, and this will our first clinic experience. Gak!

Is there an intro on the first day, like "everyone go around and introduce themselves and say why you're here" or do you just jump right in?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I would like to say that it may be better to attend as an auditor first. You may not click with his type of communication, teaching style or methods. I have audited lots of clinics with top clinicians & glad I have saved myself the time & money of bringing my horse. That said, I have attended multiple camps from a handful of clinicians & learned tons. Just because someone is nationally or internationally know does not mean they will work for you & your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    You mean like this fine horsemanship product.

http://shop.parellinaturalhorsetrain...productId=1969
    Don't poke the bear, Airhorse. Don't go there girl. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post

Is there an intro on the first day, like "everyone go around and introduce themselves and say why you're here" or do you just jump right in?
    Yes you get to introduce. Since my guy is off the track, just telling him that gave a lot of insight right there.
    I believe you are going to have a great time!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

How interesting! I rode last year and we didn't do any intros. He asked why people had come and the usual generic answers popped up. We didn't go around and say our names, talk about our horses or anything like that. I would have appreciated it, but there were 15 horses in my group and it probably would have taken forever. There were many people who were wearing spurs, but no one got called out for it. I have heard that he doesn't like treeless saddles and will say so, but that was not brought up in my class. He did talk to two people about their 'walking horse' bits, I don't know what they are called, but the long shank bits? The people he spoke to about it, did switch them out the next day. They were totally receptive, new horse owners who just wanted help. The only people he called out were people who were in potentially dangerous situations or people who truly were not following his directions at all. I thought it was a great experience and am going to do it again.

Ya know, Buck has been doing this weekend after weekend, dozens of times a year, for well over 20 years. No two clinics will be exactly the same. He is a master of reading a group, seeing how much information he needs, and then getting to work. He knows more in 10 minutes about 95% of the horses that come to him that their owners ever will. That's not hocus-pocus, it's not hype, it's not a put down of the owners, it's just that he's that experienced and knows horses that well. Really. It's mind-boggling, but it's true.

Some times he takes the time at the start to do introductions; sometimes the horses need to go to work. Sometimes, he does it at the end of a session; sometimes not.

The year I rode with him and was really struggling with the horse I had there, he did a review at the end of the class. He goes around the group, starting at some apparently arbitrary point, and asks everyone for questions. The second day of that clinic, he started at a point close to me, moving away from me; it ended up setting my horse up for being a little rude and impatient. When he got to me, he got after me for letting the horse be rude. It was ugly; I needed to do it, but I needed to be in a situation where I absolutely trusted the person directing it, because I was basically scared of it. But we worked through it. The next day, at the end of the session, he started about a quarter of the way around the circle from me, moving toward me. When he got to me, and my horse was behaving--and the horse had been much better in general that day--Buck told me, after he let me ask questions, to get off my horse and take him back to the barn, because he had worked hard and well and was behaving appropriately. Even his question-and-answer thing at the end of that class was set up to have an educational purpose.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

It's nice to hear that he sometimes makes it down to Florida. I was afraid that this was considered "Parelli country". <eye roll>

Oh poop! Did I rattle a cage?