The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reactions to new bits

I just got an icey with an itty bitty mouth. Mouth itself is normal width - about 5", but there is very, very little room between the canines and molars, and he has a low pallet.

He was ridden in a straight bar Kimberwick w/ a small port, and I want to get him in something a little easier to communicate with.

I put a (rented) pony sized neue schule on him yesterday to see if he objected, and his first reaction was to pick up one of the cannons and chomp it.

At that point I took it off 'cause I didn't want to end up w/ a chomped bit that I couldn't return.

Is this type of chomping "I don't like this" or is it "I've never had something in my mouth like this" or do you just have to suck it up and ride them to figure it out?

The horse is supposed to chew the bit softly, and they do so by thrusting the tongue (a snaffle does rest on the tongue). Sometimes early on they roll it around/chomp before settling in. (And it is the handlers job to work the horse in hand to teach it HOW to respond to the bit properly as well.) If it is hung too low or is too narrow, it can be raised up too high (to teeth). Why not just 'try it out' with someones plain old (fulmer) snaffle instead?
    I.D.E.A. yoda

If you can see teeth marks on the bit, have his teeth check and done!!!

He is most definitely overdue for teeth...am trying to recover from vet bills for my mare before I get my 2 guys teeth done.

Not wanting to try a fullmer 'cause I don't think he has enuf room for the single joint. I can check when we do his teeth, tho....

Very few horses have a problem (unless it is a sausage tongue with a low palette)...more have a problem with bit used on tongue. And a horse which has had a straight bit will have different reactions. The question is how the bit is used (on the corner of the lips) or onto the bars.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by tollertwins View Post
    He is most definitely overdue for teeth...am trying to recover from vet bills for my mare before I get my 2 guys teeth done.

Not wanting to try a fullmer 'cause I don't think he has enuf room for the single joint. I can check when we do his teeth, tho....
    I really understand about the bills but if his teeth are due, overdue, I wouldn't put any bit in its mouth until that problem is resolved. The reactions you have might just be pain related.