The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default shipping containers for hay storage?

Won't be my first choice---but being on the East Coast near shipyards/Norfolk/VA beach, I can see where it could be a good cost saving solution----(eyesore issue has me hesitant)

anyway...would love to know? from anyone who has used them FOR hay storage how successful? waterproof? easy to load/unload? lasting how long? and....any 'hide them this way' decorative ideas?

TIA
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Creative idea! Never used them and have never seen them used, but being an avid Pinterest user for my gardening needs, I'm envisioning things similar to what I've seen on there with climbing plants/vines to hide it from view. perhaps set up lattice around it and get some native vine to go to town?

morganp: yeah, I've thought the same! lattice/or even metal staked trellises....planting bed in front of that....but also am concerned about? useability as hay storage for the long haul...(vs. buildng)
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

My concern would be ventilation. Unless the hay was super dry going into the container, I would be afraid of mold.

3 members found this post helpful.

shipping containers are reasonably waterproof
    not for hay storage - but the Horsepark of NJ has several containers they use to store various organizations equipment for shows - including paper
    but the problem they have is MICE geting into everything (since they are not actively used all the time

An idea to hide it comes from a water storage tank at Gladstone
    It was painted a pale blue-ish green - and then that was over painted with wavy lines in several olive and tan colors - to represent tree trunks
    This huge tank was in a wooded area - but became quite invisible
    Quite attractive looking

Ayrabz, I am across the Bay from you on the Shore. What shakeytails said is spot on, especially in our area with the high humidity. Tried it for a small load of hay and even with a low moisture content (according to the meter), the hay was growing inside of a week. Generally, the shipping containers you can buy need refurbishing. The one we have took quite a bit of work to get useable and attractive (think grinding, sealing, sandblasting, primer/paint, etc) and now we use it to store pallets of feed, which it works well for. Have also stored pallets of shavings as well. Would not try it again with hay but I am sure someone has done so successfully.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

thanks all. I had searched some of the sites, and lots of them claim hay storage as a great use of these...but I knew to ask horse people instead!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Great well timed thread! I'm getting ready to purchase a farm that has a shipping container on it and the SO thinks that would be a great place to keep the hay. I knew for some reason I wasn't keen on the idea... now I have great points.

I have one that's a faded orange and I'm surprised at how nicely it fades into the landscape. But I wouldn't use it for hay without modifying it to have some roof vents. It can get very hot in there, and also loading hay into it does not sound very fun, by hand, one bale at a time.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Here's an idea I saw.

Buy 2 of them, space them 12' or there abouts apart, put roof trusses on top, then roofing.

You could put plenty of ventilation in the ceiling of the containers since they would be under the new roof.

The space between the 2 storage buildings is great for equipment storage.

We have a single container that we use to store tools, seasonal outdoor toys, and my husbands endless supply of hunting equipment. We cut an opening in the side and framed in a house door for easier access to the stuff stored in the back.

If you add the right ventilation it might work. Cutting out an oversize door or "French doors" could make access easier.

There's a couple in use around here. They have added ventilation but we also live in a very dry climate. They work great under those conditions.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Someone I know is building a shipping container barn. I cannot find the photos right now..... someone on my facebook page. Wish FB had a subject search!

My friend uses one successfully in a humid climate but her husband added a vent to it with a fan (like in some attics). Not super aesthetically pleasing but functional.

To store hay- get a container certified watertite and seaworthy, then install an attic fan, or a couple of those wind turbin fans if you don't have electricity. Install a screen french door a couple of feet inside so you can leave container's door open for cross-ventalation, but keep vermin out. Paint top/roof with sun reflective paint used for a tin roof.
    Be sure to install screen door so it open wide enough to let hay stacked on a palet
    to pass thru. Use pallet jack to load in hay.

My BIL and SIL and buying container to live in while they build their house. The company web site http://shelterkraft.com/ as some information under the FAQ about humidity and condensation.

You can definitely modify them to be more hay storage friendly... but by the time you have one delivered and make those modifications, you're probably not saving any money over a simple steel hay barn.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I was also considering one, but they are fairly expensive and would have to be modified to add ventilation.

Here, at least, it's cheaper to just build a little frame or pole structure.

I *do* appreciate that the container could be moved later though.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Hay containers can be a labour of love and do not need to cost a bomb, just salvage what you can find, paint it, dress it up with windows or doors, add some landscaping around it to help it blend into the environment. Get those with double doors they are easier to move the hay in and out.

1 members found this post helpful.