The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any reason I shouldn't use an Australian girth with an A/P saddle?

I have my heart set on an adjustable leather girth for use with multiple horses, some of which are still growing. So far the best quality/price I can find comes in the form of a girth that is actually made for an Australian saddle.

I know the roller buckles are 1/4" wider which I wouldn't think would create an issue. Is there any other reason why I shouldn't go for one of these? I don't see any glaring differences between it and a standard English girth.

Here is a photo:

http://i10.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/11/9d/6c7b_35.JPG
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

When you said "Australian girth," I pictured a traditional Australian saddle girth with two buckles on one side and a long strap and two buckles on the other, meant to be used with an overgirth. I'm not sure what makes the girth in the photo an Australian girth. Unless it's just that it's made in Australia. Or they've folded the strap underneath so you can't see it.

But in response to your question, no, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use that girth on an AP saddle. Assuming, of course, that it really does not have the strap that goes through the overgirth ring attached to it. You might request clarification on that point before ordering it, just to be sure.

Thank you! During my research I did see some Aussie girths with that long strap. I figured I could always just cut it off if the one I'm considering came with it. I don't think it is in such a spot that it would affect the integrity of the girth.

The photo didn't make it appear as though it had one. They did state in the listing that they have the 1.25" buckles, which I suppose is one "Australian" girth feature.

Appreciate the input!

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    When you said "Australian girth," I pictured a traditional Australian saddle girth with two buckles on one side and a long strap and two buckles on the other, meant to be used with an overgirth. I'm not sure what makes the girth in the photo an Australian girth. Unless it's just that it's made in Australia. Or they've folded the strap underneath so you can't see it.

But in response to your question, no, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use that girth on an AP saddle. Assuming, of course, that it really does not have the strap that goes through the overgirth ring attached to it. You might request clarification on that point before ordering it, just to be sure.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Have seen this in person and it is not bad. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HJ...dir_mdp_mobile

Have no idea if an Australian girth would work or not.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)