The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Signed.

It makes me so sad to think of a rising star's potential being stuck in a cycle of continually expiring qualifications.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

My daughter will likely be in the continually expiring category as she can logistically have just one at a time at the upper levels. At the moment she is 8th on the list of riders who have done 4 stars in the past 8 years, but is only categorized at the two star level.

She won't be doing a 4 star this year so she will begin dropping down the list.

Just doesn't seem like a good way for the FEI to promot/broaden the sport. The list will get shorter and the sport narrower. Shame......

Please keep sharing and signing. We've had quite a few signatures from the U.S., Thank You! We have signatures from over 17 different countries now, but we want to reach 1000 signatures and are on 620 at the moment... but when I started sharing yesterday we were on about 43, so it's pretty good so far... but we need more!
    Further explanation of MERs, Categories etc here: http://e-venting.co.uk/?p=200

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

From my perspective, the rules penalize people who can't travel to Europe to compete. We have only one 4* here; we have only 3 or 4 (IIRC)
    CCI 3*s in all of North America. It would be impossible for a rider with only one 4* horse at a time to become catagorized at the 4* level (15 MERS in 8 years) and very, very difficult to become Catagorized at the 3* level, especially if you live in the West. There are only 3 CIC3* in California and there is only one CCI3* this year. Rebecca Farms has one. There are a total of 14 CIC3* in all of North America. Many of them are bunched, with 7 from March to May. After that there iare approximately 2 per month in the fall (CIC and CCI), and 1 each in June, July and August. None in November or December.

It's probably almost as expensive to travel from the West Coast to the East Coast as it is to go to Europe to compete.

For a one or two horse professional in the West, it does not look good.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

Can we pleeeeeease storm the castle now?

Tuppysmom, do you have a link to the list of categorized riders? Navigating that FEI site makes my brain hurt.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

ACME, I'm up for a thorough sacking of the fortress in Lausanne.

retread, IIRC, other NFs felt ambushed by the new MERs as well. I think GB was quite vocal about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

AMCE, I had asked for a link to the list before and some nice COTHer posted it. You can search it as I still don't remember where it is for sure.

It is on the FEI under eventing and international and some such!?

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    As above

Good Heavens! It is just ridiculous that a rider that went to the Olympics for crying out loud (and got individual silver, IIRC) is categorized as a 1* rider.

Not to jump the tracks and get into a debate about the validity of the Olympics being an end-all, be-all to eventing, I just find it outrageous that the FEI has created these divisions.

(although I can't help but be a teensy bit entertained that MLM is in the 2* category, I'll bet that went over like a turd in a punch bowl)
    Cotton would fight.

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Question: Didn't riders use to get lifetime qualification at certain levels? I'll need to go back and look at the rules, but BD Sr. is only categorized at the 3* level. What does that mean if he wants to run a 4* again?

I was thinking Gina Miles was going to get screwed by this.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default Another small flea

I see they went over 1000, but I added my small voice as well.

Just curious (as an outsider) - is this an evidence-based "intervention"? Is there a correlation between the fatalities and "pair experience"?

Perhaps there's not enough data to identify any meaningful correlations so the question is not relevant. Just wondering, though.

Signed and shared. This directly affects me, my horse and my checkbook.

I would add that the addition/clarification for 2013 of so called "targeted events" that may be substituted for the equivalent CIC level events does help us some.

Quote Originally Posted by peachy View Post
    Just curious (as an outsider) - is this an evidence-based "intervention"?
    More like a $$$-based "intervention".

It makes it nearly impossible for your average one-horse combo to make it to the 3* or 4* level because the amount of qualifications required are logistically and financially out of reach.

Now lets say we have an owner who decides to give the ride on their "big potential" horse to someone other than one of those at the tippity-top of the pyramid and that horse and rider have to requalify together as a team. Owners are already shelling out huge amounts of money (by choice, I understand, but they are also supporting "the team" by doing so) and now they have to finance yet another round of 1 and 2* CIC and CCI to get the horse back to where it was in the first place!

I see this putting more and more rides in the big, big, BNR's barns and less and less in the formerly BNR but now just bNR's barns.

Oh, it just makes my blood boil.

And, if I may continue my rant, how are the folks that have already tooled around Rolex a time or two ever going to get categorized if they have to start FROM SCRATCH with each new mount?

Who elected these people and when will they leave
    Cotton would fight.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not good for Canadians either, you basically have to go south or to Europe...and not all the UL riders here do.

Can we not just create our own International Eventing Association?

As an owner who has a rider who is young and formerly run a handfull of 2* but not for a few years, it will be difficult for her to to attract additional owners of going horses as she would have to requalify with them.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Can we not just create our own International Eventing Association?

The time is NOW here.

Is the old qualification scheme somewhere? I can't seem to find it to compare...

I wonder if getting rid of national level trials for qualifications is a way to boost revenue? Were many people skipping FEI events until they'd moved up more? E.g. running HTs up to advanced and then going for a CIC*** instead of doing one and two stars along the way? I know FEI events cost a lot more for the riders.