The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ok someone help me understand this movement

Please don't think Iam picking this horse apart I just can't for some reason figure out his movement? Is itt because he is up and down from racing? Dare I say there is something I like about him?! And he seems to have good sport horse breeding?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=clTOi...%3DclTOiUp0o1M
    Last edited by QuillcoteFarm; Feb. 20, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Video

He hurts
    He literally doesn't move his scapula
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

That's what I was thinking, he looks so tight all over! I love his long legs though!

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    He hurts
    He literally doesn't move his scapula
    Absolutely agree. Subclavius and sternum also show tightness which gives the impression that the horse is "holding his breath" in movement.

He looks like a tight race horse joging on slippery pavement. He's cute...if you like him, vet him....if he passes, take him home, give him some time off and body work and then evaluate his movement.

You really can not tell anything from that video.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

3 members found this post helpful.

This is how racehorses often look when they are track fit, have sore feet and their bodies are tight from standing in a stall 23.5 hrs a day. I actually thought he looked fairly even as far as the way his feet hit the ground and often that is all that you hope for because you won't see the real movement for a few months.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well that's what I was thinking, I know sometimes different opinions can help, thanks! I was interested in him but when I pulled his pedigree it has him as being 7, not 5.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    He looks like a tight race horse joging on slippery pavement. He's cute...if you like him, vet him....if he passes, take him home, give him some time off and body work and then evaluate his movement.

You really can not tell anything from that video.
    I agree! I've seen a couple of jogs like this and in my e they're just tight and stiff from being ridden hard and put in a stall right after. He's in better shape than most jogs I've seen. I don't think that's a scapula issue - when a horse strains or hurts a ligament or tendon there -- say, ie, the supraspinatus, their moment is not quite so deft. There is a radical difference between a horse with that type of injury and this horses movement. That is not to say he doesn't "hurt", as most of them do. To my eye, he looks short because he's footsore and possibly had something going on in that right front. Vet him, if you want - love to hear what happens either way.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Keep in mind this video is pretty old. This horse has had turn out time on the farm since then. The trainer is super nice. He bought the horse about 250 underweight with sores all over from laying down on a boney body. I have not seen him since I took the listing. listing photographed badly and I took about 40 frames of him. He was sweet....and tall!
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Quote Originally Posted by QuillcoteFarm View Post
    Please don't think Iam picking this horse apart I just can't for some reason figure out his movement? Is itt because he is up and down from racing? Dare I say there is something I like about him?! And he seems to have good sport horse breeding?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=clTOi...%3DclTOiUp0o1M
    I can see why you like him - he presents a very pleasing picture. I saw a few moments of promise toward the end, once he'd had a moment to vent.

I agree - if you like him, go look and vet him, then see where you are. If he passed physically and was semi-mentally-stable, he's the sort I would take a chance on too.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Quote Originally Posted by QuillcoteFarm View Post
    Well that's what I was thinking, I know sometimes different opinions can help, thanks! I was interested in him but when I pulled his pedigree it has him as being 7, not 5.

yeah but if he has been let down like I they said...that isn't too old. He could be going Novice this summer...possible end the year at training level and be running Prelim as an 8 or 9 year old. Yes...as a resale horse, the age is a bit of ding but not a huge one. Some of the best ones I've had I got at this age. It is really nice as they can be absolute a$$es as 4 and 5 year olds so you are past those teenage years.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

i can't get the video to play.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    i can't get the video to play.
    When you clink on the link it takes you to the mobile site. Go to where the URL is and you will see it says m.youtube.com/yadayada
    Just delete the m. and it will play.
    So instead of it saying this
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clTOiUp...%3DclTOiUp0o1M
    it says this
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=clTOiUp0o...%3DclTOiUp0o1M

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    When you clink on the link it takes you to the mobile site. Go to where the URL is and you will see it says m.youtube.com/yadayada
    Just delete the m. and it will play.
    So instead of it saying this
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clTOiUp...%3DclTOiUp0o1M
    it says this
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=clTOiUp0o...%3DclTOiUp0o1M
    Or just click on the big "DESKTOP" link at the top of the page

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Or just click on the big "DESKTOP" link at the top of the page
    That rarely works for me. It often takes me to the main page of youtube not to the video

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    That rarely works for me. It often takes me to the main page of youtube not to the video
    Odd. It has never not worked for me.

Wow. I really like the guy. IME if they jog that well while racing shod, on concrete, and living in a stall, they're probably pretty nice. And if he stayed sound while racing until 7 then he's pretty cool.

And tall. I like tall.

2 members found this post helpful.

He wasn't trotting any faster than his handler could run. Get another handler!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

that's how OK moved!! Actually he moved worse...(got him off the track in Oct) He looked like he was lame on all 4 legs thus making him look even.
    He had ZERO time off the ground and just kind of scooted his front legs forward.
    He was still in his racing plates at that time.
    I was SCARED to death when I bought him because I felt like I was really taking a chance on something very unknown..
    I just had *a feeling* that he was a good guy and once I fixed his body up he wouldn't move like crap. lol.

He slowly started to change the way he moved over the course of 5 months and several shoeings.

He looks like a different horse now. But it has taken a while and lots of patience.

so he went from moving worse than that guy...
    To this in 4 months. (with little ride time)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXCC8...ature=youtu.be

and it continues to improve..
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!