The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I see where the OP is coming from. She was boarding someplace, and a new person wanted to move in. BO split the field for the new person, so that OP had an acre for her pony and calf, and 1.5 acres for new boarder's two ponies.

Only now it appears that new boarder wants her colt out by himself, and the mare in with OP's pony and calf. OP is gun shy because a mini had previously nearly killed her calf by running it half to death. OP is also pissed because it wasn't the arrangement from before, that OP gets one paddock and new boarder gets the other...now new boarder gets access to both and there are three critters on the smaller one and one critter on the bigger one. Also, OP's critter had access to a stall before, which was left open, but new boarder is closing it.

If that's right, then yeah, I'd be pissed too. And moving. The BO is spineless and the new boarder is a pushy potty mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you left out the new boarder lying to the BO about having consent from the OP to put the animals out together without her being present...and being snarky about being 3 and a half hours late....
    ah, that alone would sen 99% of the COTHers into orbit.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I don't think the OP is being selfish now that she has to share the barn. There was an arrangement put into place that is now not being followed. On top of that the other boarder seems to be lax when it comes to the safety of the animals. Of course one gets a little heated when their animals are put into a potentially dangerous situation. What did you expect the OP to do? Just be a pushover and say, "Oh it's okay if you turn our horses out together for the first time with no one else there even though it could go really bad. It's also okay if you just shut their stall that is to be left open. It's also fine if you change arrangements without letting others (that it impacts) know." I also do feel as though if this happened to a vast majority of individuals on this forum, they'd probably feel the same way.

Either way OP just keep counting down on that calendar! You'll be out soon enough. It's unfortunate it had to end this way.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Wait a sec. You are pissed at/contemptuous of someone who allows their animals to have bad behavior because someday the animal may hurt itself and you know better/ want better for yours?

Why do you *care* if she is a jackass with her own animals? They are her animals and her horse-legs to break out of stupidity or not. But their well-being isn't your business unless you make it so.

Along the same lines of minding your own business:
    Remember that your relationship here is with the BO, not the other boarder. I think it can help to follow the regular chain of command after you have had words with a fellow boarder. If you want something different about how your horses are treated, turned out, whatever, deal with the BO and let him deal with the other boarder.

Just enjoy your T-minus countdown to owning your own place. Seriously, boarding can be a pain and soon you won't have to do that any more. Keep your eye on the prize.
    She's pissed because the arrangement directly affected HER animals. The new boarder's mare was to be turned out with HER pony and calf. The calf was nearly run to death by a mini in the past -- hence her concern. Wasn't good enough for the new boarder's mare and (recently gelded) colt to share their own stall and turnout.

I do agree with you that the BO handled this poorly. In a couple of weeks, it'll just be the new boarder and the BO -- and he'll have the headache all to himself.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    She's pissed because the arrangement directly affected HER animals. The new boarder's mare was to be turned out with HER pony and calf. The calf was nearly run to death by a mini in the past -- hence her concern. Wasn't good enough for the new boarder's mare and (recently gelded) colt to share their own stall and turnout.
    I got that general impression, but in a later somewhat sarcastic post by the OP, she talked about how an ill-mannered stall climber could break a leg and she thought that allowing that reflected inferior horsemanship.

It does, if the horse's leg belongs to you. Otherwise, and if you already don't respect the boarder for other reasons, leave this one last dig out.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I got that general impression, but in a later somewhat sarcastic post by the OP, she talked about how an ill-mannered stall climber could break a leg and she thought that allowing that reflected inferior horsemanship.

It does, if the horse's leg belongs to you. Otherwise, and if you already don't respect the boarder for other reasons, leave this one last dig out.
    I am sorry but I do have to agree with the OP.
    you got a horse doing this kind of crap in the stall you don go coo-ing over the critter, to make an attempt to stop it.
    If you are not concerned about the vet bill, you should know it tears the barn up.
    Yes, it foes imply the owner is not all there in terms of horsemanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I wasn't ripping on you at all. I was just wondering if there was some sort of vice or bad behavior I wasn't aware of, or if there was a regional term for something I wasn't familiar with. Always curious about that sort of thing.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Me too.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm wondering what 'crewing' means.

OP - good luck. Take a breath, be out there as much as you can to check on your animals, and smile and nod and walk away from the new boarder as much as you can. Best thing to do with asshattedness is walk away from it. Good luck.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

"Crewing" = typo for "chewing". OP explained it. With a small side of drama.