The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No problem. Pretty much a lot in my head trying to get it all out kind of thing.

Guess it makes me more anxious to move them home now
    14 days... I can do this!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I wasn't ripping on you at all. I was just wondering if there was some sort of vice or bad behavior I wasn't aware of, or if there was a regional term for something I wasn't familiar with. Always curious about that sort of thing

Thanks for the clarification.

hang in there. Some Boarders are a nightmare. i feel bad for the current BO, b/c he's going to have to deal with her when you leave.

It's not about her not expecting the other to not turn out her horse, it's about WANTING TO BE THERE! Seriously, do you guys just turn out your horse with a strange horse and leave?!?! That's bad horsemanship. I'm always there when my horse meets a new horse and they go out together, and I sit there and watch them for awhile too. I'm lucky my guy is a pushover, but there is one horse at my barn who attacks other horses, I'd be PISSED if someone turned him out with my guy.

And it sounds like a private barn, not public, in which case there are different rules and expectations.

5 members found this post helpful.

NAILED IT!
    It's a 3 stall barn... quiet - thats why we first went there, just us, I'm ok with boarding with other people, but not when they take it upon themselves to turn new horses out together and tell BO and I different stories.

I think I'm more in shock she had the (lack of) sense to do it and see no problem with it. Oh well. Some people amuse me...

FYI - this woman also breeds ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    It's not about her not expecting the other to not turn out her horse, it's about WANTING TO BE THERE! Seriously, do you guys just turn out your horse with a strange horse and leave?!?! That's bad horsemanship. I'm always there when my horse meets a new horse and they go out together, and I sit there and watch them for awhile too. I'm lucky my guy is a pushover, but there is one horse at my barn who attacks other horses, I'd be PISSED if someone turned him out with my guy.

And it sounds like a private barn, not public, in which case there are different rules and expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Soooo... you were the only boarder, and then a new lady moves in with two small ponies, and expects her mare to have .... "turnout" ? The horror of it. How dare she ?

Honestly, it sounds to me like you've had the place all to yourself and feel its your own and are not prepared to share.
    I agree. I got this same impression.
    I can't imagine telling other boarders how to act. And then making fun of their appearance.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    Whatever the "rules and expectations" are, the BO should be setting and enforcing them. Re-read the thread and OP's replies: apparently there was to be division of the field and "everyone agreed", and then suddenly lady's mare is in with OP's. Why? Why isn't the BO enforcing this previous agreement of dividing the boarders' horses, if it was indeed all agreed?

Then the BP offers to take the lady's mare out of the field and stick her back in the stall - once the lady leaves the barn. Behind her back. Instead of going out there and discussing the rules with lady.

The BO is the crux of the whole problem here. There don't seem to be ANY "rules and expectations" in operation, at least not official ones. Lady and OP probably have their own set of expectations, and in the total absence of leadership from BO each is acting on their own.

I'm curious about the calf...is it a companion for your pony? Are you raising it for meat?

I'm glad for you that you are moving to another place, it can be difficult boarding where personalities clash.

1 members found this post helpful.

Calf was bought for two reasons, one being when I first got my pony he was with a friends mini - as a companion. She gave me a heads up that she needed him back so my husband and I got a calf, pony was perfectly fine to meet this new breed of odd looking "horse". Then when he's older and about 1500lbs - a beef steer he will be... (as soon as we move in and all we will get a calf every 3 months.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounceback View Post
    really? rip on me for 2 typos? tell me everyone here is PERFECT everytime.
    Should say CHEW
    Wow!

Seriously, calm down, and reread everything you've written from another's point of view (pretend someone wrote it about you).

Between the profanity, the attitude about her looks and how very perfect your animals and your training are and how lousy everything about her is, it makes one wonder if that's where her attitude comes from.

4 members found this post helpful.

Profanity was coming from HER - I was telling what SHE had said. Not me.

My animals have manners - I didn't say perfect... when your horses are litterally climbing up their stalls and you seem to think that destroying a barn is OK... that is unexcusable and uncalled for behavior in my book. But maybe seeing that as you walk into the barn saying "oh your so bad but so cute" is the best way to handle it... me, I'd rather not walk in one morning and see my horse with a broken leg caught in the stall door, correct the problem.

I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Wow!

Seriously, calm down, and reread everything you've written from another's point of view (pretend someone wrote it about you).

Between the profanity, the attitude about her looks and how very perfect your animals and your training are and how lousy everything about her is, it makes one wonder if that's where her attitude comes from.

You seem to be really quick to react about things.

I certainly agree that horses should be introduced slowly and supervised when being turned out together for the first time. However, I'm confused about the turnout. First you said there were two, then all of a sudden there is just one. You can't expect her horse to stay in for a month if there is only one turnout. Either divide it up again or get them used to each other.

However, I think there are other things you are being unreasonable about. You complain about her horse's manners but you want her to wait to turn her horse out until you turn yours out because he is unable to stand calmly and be blanketed without the other horse by his side. This is your problem, not hers. If you want to ask her to wait to make easier on you then you can do that, but you have a training issue that needs to be resolved.

Her horses will not give yours bad habits.

Apparently her pony is in no way a "devon" pony but yours is. I don't see how that matters.

Her looks do not in any way have anything to do with how she cares about her horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

I wondered if this thread might have been a joke and the story was supposed to imply that it was written from the POV of the "impossible boarder".
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Soooo... you were the only boarder, and then a new lady moves in with two small ponies, and expects her mare to have .... "turnout" ? The horror of it. How dare she ?

Honestly, it sounds to me like you've had the place all to yourself and feel its your own and are not prepared to share.

Well said!!! YES!!!

I see where the OP is coming from. She was boarding someplace, and a new person wanted to move in. BO split the field for the new person, so that OP had an acre for her pony and calf, and 1.5 acres for new boarder's two ponies.

Only now it appears that new boarder wants her colt out by himself, and the mare in with OP's pony and calf. OP is gun shy because a mini had previously nearly killed her calf by running it half to death. OP is also pissed because it wasn't the arrangement from before, that OP gets one paddock and new boarder gets the other...now new boarder gets access to both and there are three critters on the smaller one and one critter on the bigger one. Also, OP's critter had access to a stall before, which was left open, but new boarder is closing it.

If that's right, then yeah, I'd be pissed too. And moving. The BO is spineless and the new boarder is a pushy potty mouth.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I see where the OP is coming from. She was boarding someplace, and a new person wanted to move in. BO split the field for the new person, so that OP had an acre for her pony and calf, and 1.5 acres for new boarder's two ponies.

Only now it appears that new boarder wants her colt out by himself, and the mare in with OP's pony and calf. OP is gun shy because a mini had previously nearly killed her calf by running it half to death. OP is also pissed because it wasn't the arrangement from before, that OP gets one paddock and new boarder gets the other...now new boarder gets access to both and there are three critters on the smaller one and one critter on the bigger one. Also, OP's critter had access to a stall before, which was left open, but new boarder is closing it.

If that's right, then yeah, I'd be pissed too. And moving. The BO is spineless and the new boarder is a pushy potty mouth.
    you left out the new boarder lying to the BO about having consent from the OP to put the animals out together without her being present...and being snarky about being 3 and a half hours late....
    ah, that alone would sen 99% of the COTHers into orbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I too was dumbfounded as to why new boarder didn't just put her mare out with her gelding? One half of the field for each boarder and her two animals seems fair to me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    I too was dumbfounded as to why new boarder didn't just put her mare out with her gelding? One half of the field for each boarder and her two animals seems fair to me.
    I'm wondering if that doesn't have to do with the tidbit OP gave about him having been very recently gelded.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post

And I wonder was the BO trying to mitigate the eminent departure of OP by going ahead and letting the next set of boarders move in before OP had left?

Either way, it's easy for me to say, "settle down, OP" when I'm not having to deal with foolishness. When the barn is a peaceful place that gets flipped upside down and you're standing in the middle of it....I've been in the middle of some dangerous barn drama where horses were getting hurt, ponies mysteriously dead...it was so stressful just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

OP, I don't know you from Adam's off ox...You might be a nut for all I know but this is the horse world and aren't we all.... , but 14 days...14 days. Smile & nod; "Isn't that nice" & "Bless your heart"

Quote Originally Posted by Bounceback View Post
    My animals have manners - I didn't say perfect... when your horses are litterally climbing up their stalls and you seem to think that destroying a barn is OK... that is unexcusable and uncalled for behavior in my book. But maybe seeing that as you walk into the barn saying "oh your so bad but so cute" is the best way to handle it... me, I'd rather not walk in one morning and see my horse with a broken leg caught in the stall door, correct the problem.

I could be wrong.
    Wait a sec. You are pissed at/contemptuous of someone who allows their animals to have bad behavior because someday the animal may hurt itself and you know better/ want better for yours?

Why do you *care* if she is a jackass with her own animals? They are her animals and her horse-legs to break out of stupidity or not. But their well-being isn't your business unless you make it so.

Along the same lines of minding your own business:
    Remember that your relationship here is with the BO, not the other boarder. I think it can help to follow the regular chain of command after you have had words with a fellow boarder. If you want something different about how your horses are treated, turned out, whatever, deal with the BO and let him deal with the other boarder.

Just enjoy your T-minus countdown to owning your own place. Seriously, boarding can be a pain and soon you won't have to do that any more. Keep your eye on the prize.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

in 14 days your animals will be home and then you'll only be able to b!tch yourself out when something goes wrong! that's what I do