The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Durable boots?

My horse interferes a lot in the back. I've been using the E-Quest ASBs, which are the DSBs without the fleece lining, and the bottoms of the hind pair are are bare and shredded after only a few months. The stitching is all gone and the outer layer is rubbed right off!

So I want some really durable, protective boots that I won't have to replace every few months. Does anyone have recommendations? Are Valenas good?

For everyday, I've been using ankle boots like these on my mare.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/eskadr...oot-7796p.aspx

My current pair, which I believe are Romas or something similarly inexpensive, were bought second-hand and have lasted a couple of years.

Horze Tendon Boots are TOUGH, and they come in great colors!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Have you tried using a fetlock ring instead? Might be more useful than boots.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/fetlock...ch)/p/X1-0428/
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you want full boots, I really love Woof boots. Even the cheaper sport model holds up better than the DSBs. Many of the Eskadron style boots will really take a beating without showing much wear as well. It depends on how far up the leg your horse is hitting himself.

Valena boots and DSB are basically constructed of the same materials, so wear will be similar.

Look for something with a plastic or hard rubber shell... Thinline, Roma, Woof, Cavallo all have good options.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    My horse interferes a lot in the back. I've been using the E-Quest ASBs, which are the DSBs without the fleece lining, and the bottoms of the hind pair are are bare and shredded after only a few months. The stitching is all gone and the outer layer is rubbed right off!

So I want some really durable, protective boots that I won't have to replace every few months. Does anyone have recommendations? Are Valenas good?
    Talk to Woof Wear about their Kevlar boots
    Exercise
    Ultra

These will outlast the Valenas

I'd also approach this from training & foot care perspectives - especially training if he interferes predominantly undersaddle.

I had a custom set made by People on Horses and absolutely love them. For around $75 per pair they did fully custom with extra reinforcement on the hind fetlocks. They're super durable and still look brand new after a year's hard use. I'd previously used Woof, but the neoprene tore and got discolored which is why I decided to go with PoH.

I bought these two and a half years ago and they are still going strong, and my horse does the same thing.

http://www.victorycanter.com/product...roductid=20589
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Thanks, everyone! Those are some really good suggestions to look into.

DancingFoalFarms - by reinforced, do you mean extra stitching or extra material?

alto - what sort of training issue could this be? He has been with two wonderful trainers since he was a baby so I assumed that, despite great training, this is just the way he is. It would be great if there's something I could do about it.

[double post]

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My horse is narrow and hard on his boots. He's one of the few horses I've known to (eventually) destroy Eskadrons. I have the EquiFit ones now and they're kind of shredded towards the bottom, but I live with it. They get to a point where they don't look pretty but then they go like that for quite some time.

At one point this issue escalated and he started whacking one pastern which caused him to rub off skin. Finally went to pastern bands. Horse was then diagnosed with an injury (collateral ligament strain in coffin joint), treated, and rehabbed, and no longer needs the pastern bands.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by inne View Post
    Thanks, everyone! Those are some really good suggestions to look into.

DancingFoalFarms - by reinforced, do you mean extra stitching or extra material?

alto - what sort of training issue could this be? He has been with two wonderful trainers since he was a baby so I assumed that, despite great training, this is just the way he is. It would be great if there's something I could do about it.
    PoH did extra material, stitching, and extra padding under the fleece. I explained where the rubs and tears were on the Woof boots, and how the horse moves, and they made boots to fit. AND they offered a remake if the boots they sent didn't offer the extra protection in the right places. But they got it right the first time.

My horse is the same - I tried SMB's and they lasted 2 days. Thank goodness for warranties and returns, lol.
    The best pair so far have been Boogaloos (the ones with the leather reinforcement) they lasted about 3 years. Last time I went boot shopping the store did not have that particular model Boogaloo so I am now trying a pair of Woof boots. We're into their 2nd month, so far no holes. I don't think the quality is as good as the Boogaloos, and this seems to be reflected in the price, but I like the fancy red velcro straps
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

I second the Horze boots they have severl styles to choose from including real sheep skin/ synthetic/ neoprine. For the price you will be suprised at the quality I was.. I also switched to hard shell type boot they hold up so much longer when your horse is narrow behind and rubs often..
    Its the Journey not the Destination.

I have a set of boots made my Pelham-Ascot, the english offshoot of Bar-F Products. They have worn very well, my mare is narrow behind and twists at her hocks so she often brushes her ankles together. They are the DSB style. If you need a little more protection I love the T-sport Luxe boots, it's an ankle boot but leather and wears like iron. I bought a set just for shows but find myself schooling in them on a regular basis now.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I've had my eskadrons for 7 years now and the inside still looks like new! The velcro doesn't look as nice anymore so I'm replacing them but I've never had a problem with them falling off. Just decided that the new horse could have new boots; I decided to get sheepskin lined eskadrons this time around!