The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rhythm Beads

I've never seen rhythm beads before until recently.... and they are being advertised that dressage riders are using them now??? Never heard of that. Is it true? When I saw them, I immediately thought western, but it looks like they put bells on them for the trails?

I'm just scratching my head about these and wondering if there is any truth to the ads..???
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

They do have some dressage uses, mostly at the lower levels. They are great for teaching people to keep their horse at a steady rhythm, for hearing DAP, for keeping the trot pure in lateral work.

I use them mostly on trails and cross country to keep rhythm.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    I've never seen rhythm beads before until recently.... and they are being advertised that dressage riders are using them now??? Never heard of that. Is it true? When I saw them, I immediately thought western, but it looks like they put bells on them for the trails?

I'm just scratching my head about these and wondering if there is any truth to the ads..???
    These are very popular in some parts of the gaited horse world. Their advocates claim they help a horse establish a regular rhythm for their gait.

I've never used them but I have used sleigh bells during a Christmas parade. Frankly, after the "what the Hell is that noise?" period of the first time in the arena (which was pretty undramatic, truth told ), it was no big deal and there was no change in way of going.

I've carried gear and equipment before. No matter how carefully you secure it there will always be some movement as the horse moves. That movement makes noise. That's what "rhythm" beads allegedly do. Again, no change in way of going.

If you go to sites selling these things you'll get tons of wonderful sounding letters praising these things to the heavens. No surprises there, eh?

Try hanging out in some gaited forums and you'll find those who praise them. It's been my experience, however, that the people doing the praising generally have the least experience with horses in general and gaited horses in particular. Put another way, you have to carefully "consider the source."

If you want to try these things as a "fashion statement" or to stimulate conversation then have at it. If you're looking for some sort of a "metronome" to help with movement you'll be disappointed.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

IMMostHO:

I wanted to desensitize my mare to bells because she was freaking out at the sleigh passing by the barn! So I decided to find smaller ones to start with and bought the savvy rythm beads. (my mare couldn't care less about her necklace...so it is a fail for the desensitization part...I need to buy bigger ones and lend them to a friend who will ride with me)

It can be fun for a moment but it gets annoying pretty fast.

The horse doesn't really get less nervous. I believe that it is the noise the beads make that muffles down other noises who could potentialy scare your horse.
    I talk a lot to my mare and she was more distracted by the beads and wouldn't listen to my voice much. I prefer ear plugs.

It might distract the other horses you are riding with too.

It was fun to hear the noise it makes for each gait but...as I said, it got annoying after few laps.

I prefer putting music while I'm riding.

[QUOTE=alibi_18;6865266]IMMostHO:
    It can be fun for a moment but it gets annoying pretty fast.

/QUOTE]

I have no desire to buy these things... now, if it scared the bear that frequents my farm and the neighbors farm, I might consider it... but for daily riding, nope... just curious. Had never heard of the things before and I'm shopping around for beaded browbands and such.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

I use a set with blaze orange beads for trail riding during hunting season. They work great to let hunters know we're not a deer!

I can't comment on anything dressage related - I've never thought to use them for that

(or you can just put coins in your jacket pocket and get the same responses/noise).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    (or you can just put coins in your jacket pocket and get the same responses/noise).
    That is even more annoying!!!

Yeah, it might help in trails against hunters and bears!

ETA: depending on what kind of beads you are looking for, I suggest browband with bling. (just google the name)

I prefer to just follow the rhythm of the rocks rattling around in my head.

3 members found this post helpful.

Depending on the horse they can give you a sense of timing and tempo. I have made nice ones for myself and friends when I have time. I use little silver bells and some really lovely beads! Not sure what else is out there but most are fairly inexpensive and can add a little zest to your workout from time to time!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Can they be bought in harmonizing tones? Heck, with enough of them attached to mane, tail, where ever, a rider could be their own musical free style.

Forgive me, but don't these sound like the all natural, organic, Native-American birth control device that you can buy at the local co-op grocery store?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

We used to tie big jingle bells on our saddles when we went trail riding to alert the deer that we were coming --- and hopefully keep the deer from jumping out right in front of us! The "beads" thing was something speed riders (barrels, poles) used to use --- I always thought they had them as a "dress-up" sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Forgive me, but don't these sound like the all natural, organic, Native-American birth control device that you can buy at the local co-op grocery store?
    What? Really? Gotta look that up.