The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

And then sometimes there's no ampunt of money to compensate for the stress and aggravation a particular boarder may cause. Sometimes it.s just. Not. Worth. It! I think, iiwm, I'd tell her I didn't think my barn was a good fit for and she should seek accommodations elsewhere. I had a particularly aggravating boarder and found myself dreadimg going down to the barn. The relief I felt when her horse teailed out for the last time was beyond price!

Fire her - with 30 days notice of course!

Well, I do have an unexpected and pleasant surprise to report today. I was presented with the board check for March and it was written at the new April rate. I told her that was not the agreement...that she has 30 days to pay the new amount and she said that she felt it was only fair to pay the increased amount now since my costs were higher now. That was a pretty decent thing to do on her part and I did not expect that at all.

Perhaps it will work out after all. I'll give her a second chance. Fingers crossed.

5 members found this post helpful.

Maybe she reads the board?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Or she went and checked out the $125 place and saw how much she wasn't getting ?

I only do full board but if I was going to offer self board.....I would figure it out by working backwards and deduct the cost of feed.....which for me would be about $125.00 per month.....so full board around here is $450.00 to $500.00 so I would be charging $300 to $400.00 ......as I would still be cleaning the stall and paddock daily. Their is still wear and tear on my place and insurance.

Dalemma

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    I only do full board but if I was going to offer self board.....I would figure it out by working backwards and deduct the cost of feed.....which for me would be about $125.00 per month.....so full board around here is $450.00 to $500.00 so I would be charging $300 to $400.00 ......as I would still be cleaning the stall and paddock daily. Their is still wear and tear on my place and insurance.

Dalemma
    This is how I would figure it out also - whether they *can* find the same deal for $125/month is irrelevant. Whether YOU want to offer it for that amount is the point. I'd need a good reason to change to rough board for one boarder - and it would most likely NOT be the pain in the rear kind of boarder. (E.g. I might let someone pay $125 a month -- the cost of feeding their horse -- if they were offering me something in exchange like feeding all the rest when they fed their own, or something else that *I* found valuable (by saving me time or money).

2 members found this post helpful.

Yep, I'll echo everyone else... bye bye! $200 is far more than reasonable for a double stall. I would have expected $300 without stall cleaning, $450 with stall cleaning, if she's providing her own hay & grain.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansnmind View Post
    Lady doesn't happen to live in hampton by chance ? Just curious :0) I had a boarder that had me so stressed I decided boarding was not for me and that's when I bought a pony for my horse. Her horse was pretty large (17ish hands).
    OP, the owners initials didn't happen to be E.S. did they? I'm sure its not the same person, but I would literally LOL if it was. I heard the person I am thinking of just moved (for the MILLIONTH) time. Anyway, hope you resolved the situation OP. Your barn, Your rules!!

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    First, I would not do it for less than $200. Second, if she doesn't like it she can go to the place that charges $125. Would you be sad to lose her?
    This.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
    OP, the owners initials didn't happen to be E.S. did they? I'm sure its not the same person, but I would literally LOL if it was. I heard the person I am thinking of just moved (for the MILLIONTH) time. Anyway, hope you resolved the situation OP. Your barn, Your rules!!
    No, must be a different person. If you want to know who it is, send me a PM. I doubt you'll have to worry as far away as you are from Suffolk.

I guess you all deserve an update. Before March was over, I had given this person notice to leave my facility and this boarder is gone...so much nicer now! It's a long long story but it just wasn't worth the hassles to deal with this lady. I certainly learned my lesson...from now on boarders will be asked to provide references to ME. If I had vetted her before allowing her in, I would have learned that my barn was #7 in less than 5 years and that she'd been asked to leave her prior barn for being disruptive.

I don't know what you charge for board and average board costs in your area, but I would figure out what you were spending for average amount of shavings(like how much do charge for the average horse), and what your average feed costs were and then subtract that from board. I assume you are charging for the double stall?