The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cost for a stall space, mucking and care versus full board.

I have kind of a weird situation right now with a lady boarding here with a very large, big eating, high maintenance horse. I won't go into details as it's not pertinent but the possibility of her buying her own hay, grain, and bedding was brought up as she's one of these boarders who is never happy with how much hay, bedding or grain her big horse gets as part of the board, and I was asked what would I charge for the stall space and to do the feeding, turnout and mucking.

Horsey has a double stall due to his large size and he's a pig. It takes me 20 minutes to bank it back (shavings), clean out his copious wet spot and find the hidden turds. I figure I easily spend a half hour a day on this horse alone. My other boarders stalls take 10 minutes tops to muck, in and out, no hassles.

So she's asks me this question and I gave her a number (without mucking included) and she said "oh that's too much....such and such said that he'd only charge $125 a month for a stall and mucking." I tried to point out that it would cost me more than that to pay someone to muck his stall a day for a month and that number left nothing for facility costs such as electric, insurance, etc....and considering he has a double stall (foaling size). I had in mind a number more around $200 at the least and still think I'm not charging enough. I got a blank look and boarder still insisted that anything over $125 a month was too much. Seriously???

What do you folks think? I have a feeling that this situation is not going to improve regardless of what I do but I want to be fair and see what the going rates are for such things at general boarding barns.

Thanks!

First, I would not do it for less than $200. Second, if she doesn't like it she can go to the place that charges $125. Would you be sad to lose her?

8 members found this post helpful.

Tell her it's double your normal cost (she is using 2 stalls, after all, and it's double your work) and show her the door. Not worth it. Your barn, your rules.
    Click here before you buy.

7 members found this post helpful.

I feel better now...thanks. I wanted to be completely fair that I was not overpricing this but as busy as I am monkeying around with her horse is not worth it for so little.

The answer depends on what board costs are in your area.

That aside, it sounds like this person expects something for nothing and is clueless about what having a horse actually costs.
    I would give the owner notice (so they can move to the place they keep telling you is so much cheaper) and find yourself a new boarder.

4 members found this post helpful.

As trubandloki said, it does depend on prices in your area. One facility that I know of rents dry stalls for $250 per month, while their full care board is currently about $780 per month, meaning the dry stall fee is about one-third of the full board rate. If you include mucking as part of your deal, you will need to figure in the labor costs for that as well.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

8 years ago I was paying $195 for partial care - I provided grain, I paid for hay that he bought as part of his barn's alottment (ie he got it all in the barn and charged for anything eaten), I cleaned his stall but the shavings were provided. So your $200 today is not out of reason in the slightest.

Lady doesn't happen to live in hampton by chance ? Just curious :0) I had a boarder that had me so stressed I decided boarding was not for me and that's when I bought a pony for my horse. Her horse was pretty large (17ish hands).

If the horse is a pig and taking up more time and more space then I would charge more. The co-op place in hampton I used to board at would charge me $125 for a 10x10 stall, turnout in the morning only, feeding morning only. Place down the street from that is $150 for a similar situation. Both places have just the pasture to ride in. So I think if you were doing turnout, turn in, am/pm feeding, and spending extra time cleaning because he's messy you should charge at least $200.

If a boarder would've said that to me my response would have been "Does he have an opening for you?"

$200 is very fair, she's paying for a double sized stall plus feeding and cleaning.

3 members found this post helpful.

I board at a self care barn. I pay $130/ month for my stall and do all the barn work and buy all feed and bedding. Barn is in Harford county Maryland .

This was about 5 yrs ago but I did self care at a barn and was paying $150 just for the stall and use of a paddock for turnout. I provided my own feed, hay, and shavings and was responsible for feeding, turnout, and mucking. $200 sounds like a deal to me if you're still doing all of the work! I definitely wouldn't offer it for less than that. FWIW, regular full board around here is in the $300-400 range.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I would charge 250! I know this lady and DDB is so right! Nothing is going to make her happy and it is a shame she hasn't learned her lesson. Shame, Shame. She is out of options in our area for boarding!

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm in RI so prices may be different. Most of us do rough board but one of the boarders pays another boarder to clean her stall. She pays the BO $175/mo for the stall itself, and then the other boarder $200/mo to clean the stall M-F (owner comes on the weekends to clean and ride). The owner provides all the hay, grain and shavings for her horse. Full board at this barn would be $625.

If the stall were a double stall, the owner would at least have to pay for the additional stall (so another $175). I am not sure how the cleaning half of it would go - yes it's double the space but it's the same amount of mess, just more spread out.

Hey Joanne...it just never ends..I swear it. Her friend who lives down the road from me was up here with her yesterday enabling her to the $125 figure which I am glad to see others feel is way too little also. I had practically given her notice the other day...had had enough...and she practically begged me to stay and to work something out...as you said, she's out of options.

I guess we'll have another talk today as it's the first and I want to make sure she's got her 30 days notice if she needs to find somewhere else to board.

Thanks for all the feedback, advice and support. It helps!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansnmind View Post
    Lady doesn't happen to live in hampton by chance ? Just curious :0) I had a boarder that had me so stressed I decided boarding was not for me and that's when I bought a pony for my horse. Her horse was pretty large (17ish hands).

If the horse is a pig and taking up more time and more space then I would charge more. The co-op place in hampton I used to board at would charge me $125 for a 10x10 stall, turnout in the morning only, feeding morning only. Place down the street from that is $150 for a similar situation. Both places have just the pasture to ride in. So I think if you were doing turnout, turn in, am/pm feeding, and spending extra time cleaning because he's messy you should charge at least $200.
    No I don't think it's the same person. This one lives in Suffolk.

I do farrier work at a couple of co op barns and I thought the going rate was more $150 or so in this area. Many of those places I've seen do not have much of a facility...just a small barn and like you said, pasture to ride in. My barn is a nice concrete block aisle barn with all the amenities and arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Her friend who lives down the road from me was up here with her yesterday enabling her to the $125 figure
    Maybe she can go to her friend's place if her friend thinks that is a fair price.

Sigh!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry its in Euros but the facility I'm at now specifies the costs and people pay what they consume, so I might help you.

I pay 220€ per month for stall and basic care, plus 23% tax on that.
    Hay is 0,34€ + 6% tax per kg
    Bedding is straw at 0,20€ + 6% tax per kg
    I bring in my own hard feed
    Cleaning and putting the equipment in my locker is 15€ + 23% tax

I know you're in a completely different area but you get the point.
    Last edited by SCMSL; Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM.

She sounds like a pain. Decide what price would make you happy to put up with her. If she doesn't like it, suggest that your barn isn't the best fit for poopsie and she should look elsewhere.

2 members found this post helpful.

Second everyone that $125 is ridiculous. I pay $150 to just rent a stall at a racing barn (only outdoor arena for me in terms of "amenities"). And I'm in the deep south where things are cheap. In any of the other 3 states I have lived in, what you're saying would probably cost $200+.

If she was at my barn, I would take the cost of full board ($400), subtract the cost of what it costs to feed and bed an average horse (about $150 here) an multiple by 2 since she is taking up to stalls! She would not stay at my barn for under $500, as described.

Jennifer

2 members found this post helpful.