The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Non-subjective horse trials reviews

A few weeks ago I posted asking if people would be interested in having another try at contributing reviews of horse trials, but the issues of needing a large volume of people to participate and also concerns over the subjective nature of reviews were raised. Subk pointed out that a non-subjective way of assessing the difficulty of each event was to look at the number of competitors with jumping faults cross country (or SJ) and if an event has a lot more than average it's likely to be harder and a lot less, easier - thereby eliminating the subjective nature of reviews.

Anyway I was inspired and thought I might try and work out a ratings system for events based on these statistics.... so I've started with BN in Area I and I'd be interested in what people think! http://outsidethehorsebox.com/beginn...e-area-i-2012/

There is a chart comparing all of the BN HT in Area I and then statistics for each. You can click through to more detailed info for each event with %'s of competitors with time penalties in each phase etc

Still very much a work in progress, but I'll definitely do the rest of the areas and levels if people find it useful!

2 members found this post helpful.

I like that a lot! I like how the chart is laid out too--very easy to see the relationship between x-c/sj/starters. I think that is really useful.

I am wondering if the omnibus description, or maybe highest level offered by the event is a factor in who shows up (in other words, is it safe to assume that the starting field at all Area I BN events is about the same?).

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I like that a lot! I like how the chart is laid out too--very easy to see the relationship between x-c/sj/starters. I think that is really useful.

I am wondering if the omnibus description, or maybe highest level offered by the event is a factor in who shows up (in other words, is it safe to assume that the starting field at all Area I BN events is about the same?).
    Thanks!

On the issue of who shows up... I think the easiest way to assess that is the number of starters (which is the size of the circle). The average for BN Area I is 45 starters so I think you get a reasonable representation of difficulty from most of them except probably Great Vista which has 15 and 17 starters.

I will add in the average number of starters above the chart.

Really interesting analysis. I'll be curious to see more areas, especially areas II and III that have a lot of pros riding green horses.

Your website is very cool.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Great job! Results concur with my own experiences and observations.

Oh a numbers person after my own heart! That is really great, and I think it's a good way to look at it. No way will be perfect but you definitely took the subjectivity out of it.

That is very cool and I would say pretty accurate as far as what events I consider hard and which ones I consider "easy." Very interested to see other levels, and other areas as well. Thanks for this!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Nothing to add but very nice!!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

i like this a lot! can't wait to see more!

Well done!!!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

As a fellow numbers geek, this is very interesting. I love the graph. There are so many factors that go into assigning difficulty, it will be interesting to see how this experiment pans out (I'd be happy to assist in doing Area VIIIs number if you want to expand that far).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I can't wait to see area 3. I'm pretty sure you'd get some volunteers to help you collect data if you wanted it! (Not me, I can barely do math, but I'm sure subk would!)

I love your site! I would love to review the events I've been too, but I don't want my name listed with my review. I'd be happy to give my name if needed to verify I've actually ridden at the events, but I don't want everyone who reads the reviews to see my name. You might get more reviews if you allow them to be anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I think that's a great start. However, weather can play a big part in those numbers. That would need to be taken into consideration in order to have a more accurate analysis.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Thanks for the comments. I will keep going then. I've got a pretty good system down for doing the calculations (yup that's me with a geeky excel spreadsheet and lots of formulas ) so I should be able to get the overview charts up in a reasonable time, it's just entering the individual tables on the pages for each event that takes the real time.

I'd like to keep track of weather and things going forward too. I suspect that plays a very big role in time penalties which for that reason aren't factored into the overall rating. Anyway there are lots of things to work in down the road, but good to know this is worth doing! And pass this on to others who you think might be interested.

Rest if the overview charts for Area I are posted. Area II nearly ready - will post when the other regions are up!

Novice - http://outsidethehorsebox.com/novice-area-i-2012/
    Training - http://outsidethehorsebox.com/training-area-i-2012/
    Prelim - http://outsidethehorsebox.com/preliminary-area-i-2012/
    (not enough Intermediate and Adv in Area I so will combine regions or do nationally).

This is awesome!!! PLEASE keep it up, it's much appreciated!

Woohoo!!!