The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any pnwers going to the Claudia cojocar clinic?

Like the title says are any of you going? If you have attended a clinic with Claudia what were some things you did? Any good advice you can pass on? I'm taking a fairly green one in the 3'6" hoping she doesn't mind his shenanigans.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Having subjected Claudia to several horses that are "entertaining" for the viewers... I can vouch that she has a sense of humor and was very helpful for me. Claudia's style is to include a lot of warm up time and flatwork, which always helps the excitable horses get in a learning mood. I love her clinics.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    Like the title says are any of you going? If you have attended a clinic with Claudia what were some things you did? Any good advice you can pass on? I'm taking a fairly green one in the 3'6" hoping she doesn't mind his shenanigans.
    When/where is it and what are you riding LJ in? Might be fun to come watch you guys! I've always enjoyed watching her teach, and if I'd known about it I would have planned to take Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Credosporthorses View Post
    Claudia won't mind, she's a very seasoned clinician I'm sure she's seen it all before. I've ridden in many clinics with her, she's big on position, basics, and flatwork. Basically the only thing she doesn't like is poor horsemanship, she will teach anyone that tries to learn.

I've taken I think 3 Claudia Clinics and always enjoyed them. Here's a video from one of the clinics I have done. I believe this was the last day (course day) of a 3 day clinic. My horse was pretty green here, I believe this was 3'6 or 3'9 group a couple years ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCTlz...6A6CQ&index=45

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    When/where is it and what are you riding LJ in? Might be fun to come watch you guys! I've always enjoyed watching her teach, and if I'd known about it I would have planned to take Chuck.
    It's at Sandy and Meg's this sat/sun. Im in the 1-3 group, suposedly 3'6"+ but judging by who else is in that group it might not get that big. I'm in it mostly for the flat work. Jump height will never be a problem for LJ! Yes I'm taking LJ and judging from our ride today we are not over this new found bucking fun! So there will be a lot of bouncing and leaping on our part.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

BTW, in all the clinics I've ever been in with Claudia they jumps have never gotten NEAR the heights they were 'supposed' to be. The 3'6+ group maybe did 3'3 max on course day.

Thanks Elis

I've also attended a couple of Claudia's clinics. She can be like GM but with a feminine side to her. She is a great clinician, but I agree with Elis, the clinics I've been in and audited never made it to the scheduled heights. That said, there always seemed to be one or two that should never have been in that height or in that class in the first place. Pay attention, be respectful, she doesn't like excuses, no it alls, or a gigglepuss.

Its been several years, but I rode in a clinic of her's and found she emphasized flatwork and warming-up properly before jumping as well.
    The flatwork she had us do got the super downhill horse (but a blast to jump), I was leasing to be light and have the best self-carriage he ever had. I also found clinic jump heights were at or below the post-level i.e. 2'9 instead of 3', but I would still would highly recommend her as a clinician!

Reviving this thread because my barn is having Claudia out next month for a clinic and I'd love some more advice! I’m a 2’6” rider working on the move up to 3’, focused on hunters and eq. I also do some IHSA alumni classes for fun. In my wildest dreams I’d like to do the National Derbies and qualify for Ariat Adult Medal Finals, but for now I just want to get to the Adult Ammies and not embarrass myself. I'll be in a 2'6"-2'9" section as my lease horse is older and doesn't do much 3' jumping anymore. I'm a nervous rider but I'm really starting to gain confidence thanks to the lease horse, who's an absolute saint.

I read through the responses above and I have a basic idea of what to expect, but I'd love to hear about some more experiences. How does Claudia react to more timid riders? Any pet peeves re: turn out etc. I should be aware of?

Claudia wants to see you try. She is much kinder than she used to be, she has softened with time. She is a very good clinician, very skilled at imparting correct information to enquiring riders and trainers. You will not be disappointed taking a clinic from her.

Take draw reins off before showing up. So many people use them incorrectly these days, for "headset", apparently, rather than engaging the hind end and riding from the leg. Decades ago, she would have ripped a rider apart for this, these days, she simply sets exercises that you can not successfully do while using them. A much smarter approach I thought, to let the rider figure it out themselves that they were NOT a good idea to crank the horse's head down and nose in. Then the rider asks if they can just stop for a minute to remove the draw reins. "Yes" is the answer LOL. I just about died laughing. Smart coach. And no, I didn't have draw reins on my horse. But my friend did, along with a horse who could not canter, stiff, tense and had been beaten to a pulp by the regular "coach/trainer". I had encouraged my friend into this clinic because she needed to see a different approach, a correct approach.

Turn out- breeches and boots, form fitting top, clean and workmanlike.

My first riding clinic with Claudia was in 1972. I will ride with her as often as possible, which isn't often, probably half a dozen times or so since then. It took me a long time to forgive and understand what had happened with the first one LOL.

You may feel that you are a "timid" rider. But you must be brave enough to do what is asked of you. She will not ask you to do things that you can not do, or that are dangerous or incorrect (as so many of our local coaches DO regularly), so concentrate on being "brave", and go do it. You can trust her, she knows what she is doing. Don't say "I can't", instead say "I'll try". If your try does not achieve success, this coach can tell you why, and what changes need to be made. Is this not what you are looking for when signing up for the clinic?

Have fun, I wish I was there. But we have winter here already, and all my horses are turned out to graze on the alfalfa field, fat and fuzzy.

Thank you Nancy, that's very helpful! I don't use draw reins on my horse so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll be sure to put on my big girl pants and set the nerves aside. It's been getting better over the past few months and I'm feeling pretty confident at that height, so this is a good time to push myself!