The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am not sure if this "counts" but I have four, extremely high quality mares (height range within 17.1 -18.1 hands), that I have bred to our black Lusitano (Wolverine) -I am so excited by this crop of foals! With the big foot of the Lusitano, and the athleticism -I think it is going to be an amazing cross. Wolverine is one of a few Lusitanos that is a Foundation sire in the Spanish-Norman registry.

We plan to do ridden and driven dressage with the filies -working up to a four-in-hand (all will be phenotypic black) and we will be selling the colts. A video of the stallion is in my signature line...
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Yep, she is a sorrel!

I also have two branded RPSI geldings that came from BenBar. I really would like to find a way tocontact Barbara morgan.i need to get more info on these two! Does any one know how to contact her?!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Mine came from BenBar Farm in Indiana (where I used to live) but I'm not sure she's doing this anymore. I know her website isn't current and the number I have for her is disconnected.

My current horse was purchased from a friend, and she got him from some older lady (which is all I know about his history). I'll have to have him scanned to see if he has a chip.

I really liked Dundalk, and of course, even though RIDs and Irish Sporthorses aren't quite the same, I LOVE your hoses too horsetales. Many of them tend to have very similar temperaments. I'd fill my barn with them if I could!

I started a PMU that came from Manitoba some years ago. I was told that his breeding was QH/Percheron x TB He was almost 6 and had been messed around with by an incompetent amateur so he was quite pushy, defensive and stubborn when I started to work with him. He was also plug ugly with really unfortunate conformation-straight hind legs, butt high short neck and big head. But man, when he came around he was a very willing, highly trainable, learning machine. I trained him for 3 years and he foxhunted, did hunter paces, and novice eventing. Best mind I ever had the pleasure to work with!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I started a PMU that came from Manitoba some years ago. I was told that his breeding was QH/Percheron x TB He was almost 6 and had been messed around with by an incompetent amateur so he was quite pushy, defensive and stubborn when I started to work with him. He was also plug ugly with really unfortunate conformation-straight hind legs, butt high short neck and big head. But man, when he came around he was a very willing, highly trainable, learning machine. I trained him for 3 years and he foxhunted, did hunter paces, and novice eventing. Best mind I ever had the pleasure to work with!
    I have a 16-year-old PMU gelding by Slew Kandu that I bought as a yearling. He closely resembles this description, except that he isn't ugly! He's much more talented in his mind than he is in his body. He thinks he can do anything and you can teach him anything (or he'll teach you) but he has some lameness problems due to being croup-high and straight behind. He is 3/4 TB, 1/4 Perch and was bred in Manitoba. I don't think the farm (Wilf and Karen McKay) breeds PMU horses anymore.

^ No, they breed Warmbloods now, and I don't believe do PMU. They have some gorgeous horses, though!
    http://wkmstables.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaret SK View Post
    ^ No, they breed Warmbloods now, and I don't believe do PMU. They have some gorgeous horses, though!
    http://wkmstables.com/
    Looking at their website, they do have beautiful horses! When I read it, it looks like they do still breed (or have recently bred) the TB x draft, and may be mixing these with their imported stallions. Does this sound right to you? While they may not be NAERIC anymore, I think they still sell some of this "breed."

I adore mine and would love a barn full of them )
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    I have a 16-year-old PMU gelding by Slew Kandu that I bought as a yearling. He closely resembles this description, except that he isn't ugly! He's much more talented in his mind than he is in his body. He thinks he can do anything and you can teach him anything (or he'll teach you) but he has some lameness problems due to being croup-high and straight behind. He is 3/4 TB, 1/4 Perch and was bred in Manitoba. I don't think the farm (Wilf and Karen McKay) breeds PMU horses anymore.
    He's beautiful! And I think my boy looks a lot like him!! 1/2 TB, 3/8 perch, 1/8 QH appears to be the breakdown .

Love your horse!
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Just got off the phone with Lloyd Cancade, who has to be one of the kindest people I've ever "met" without meeting. He took the time to look up my horse, and so much more. I am ever grateful. I found out all sorts of wonderful things that I didn't know, including that my beloved horsie has a full sister.

Normandy, your horse is very nice! He does look (in my limited knowledge!) like he has some draft as well. There was a great paint stallion at Cancade Farms - Magnum was his name I think, and he sired horses with my horse's dam - but I don't know anything about the Alberta farms. Terasa, how old is yours? Mine's sire is Proven Jade; do you know yours?

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to snatch up a whole bunch of these horses...I know they're out there...and start a fun riding barn...different disciplines...I'm going to call it "Therapy" or "A Doctor's Appointment." Then when someone leaves work for an "appointment," they won't be lying . And anyone who is mean to anyone else or is full of drama gets the boot.

Anyway, I've found all sorts of interesting things online...it seems like many of these horses are the perfect amateur-friendly horses. Kind, willing, energetic, good mover, as safe as a horse can ever be, etc. I know I'm thrilled with my boy, and it is so much fun to learn more about him than I ever dreamed I'd know. He has been loved by some pretty cool ladies.
    I will call CindyB59, she has had several and has this one for sale right now--
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

The Knotted Pony

I just started schooling a friends PMU mare and she is a sweetheart. I am not exactly sure of what her breeding is, but there is definitely draft. I will see if she can find out where this girl came from.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I don't see the pic but does his name start with J? We are in touch and I'm on FB with her as well

Yes, I called her, I heard, we are talking right now
    The Knotted Pony

Lol!! She has to suffer through all of my horse and dog pictures on FB .

(And I obviously haven't won the lottery yet!!)

He's beautiful! And I think my boy looks a lot like him!! 1/2 TB, 3/8 perch, 1/8 QH appears to be the breakdown .

Love your horse!
    Thank you. I love him, too!

Very, very similar looking to the one that I trained, plain brown wrapper and all! Of course, yours is prettier and much more developed over the top line. How tall is he? (the horse I am talking about was only 15.2 or 15.3) Also, is that a brand on the neck of yours?

Looking at their website, they do have beautiful horses! When I read it, it looks like they do still breed (or have recently bred) the TB x draft, and may be mixing these with their imported stallions. Does this sound right to you? While they may not be NAERIC anymore, I think they still sell some of this "breed."
    I adore mine and would love a barn full of them )
    From what I understand, they used to breed TB x Draft, but have now moved to breeding exclusively Canadian Warmbloods - most of their horses are registered CWHBA. If you go far enough back in many of their current foal's pedigrees, you will likely find some TB or TB x Draft in there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Very, very similar looking to the one that I trained, plain brown wrapper and all! Of course, yours is prettier and much more developed over the top line. How tall is he? (the horse I am talking about was only 15.2 or 15.3) Also, is that a brand on the neck of yours?
    He is about 16.2 hands and weighs 1400 pounds (!). The brand is Kryokinetics --
    http://www.kryokineticsusa.com. I had that done for him and my other horse at the time as a theft deterrent. I was a little shell-shocked after having the other horse stolen, then miraculously recovered after being sold out of state.

He is about 16.2 hands and weighs 1400 pounds (!). The brand is Kryokinetics --
    http://www.kryokineticsusa.com. I had that done for him and my other horse at the time as a theft deterrent. I was a little shell-shocked after having the other horse stolen, then miraculously recovered after being sold out of state.
    Thanks, I was just wondering whether he came with the brand.

Yes, Yours is a much bigger guy in addition to being much better looking. But it always amazed me how much a horse with the right mind can do, when his conformation says that he can't!

You make a lovely pair. Have you sent that picture to Wilf and Karen? I am sure they would love to see it. Cabaret SK is correct, they breed CWHBA now. They have been putting out some really nice horses for sure.

EDITED:
    to add, meant this as a reply to LarkspurCO. Lovely horse, lovely picture!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.