The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone have a Cancade PMU/CanAm Sport/etc horse from a QH/Perch mare, sired by Tbred?

Thanks...

Mine's from a TB/Perch mare and a TB stallion. Mine was from cancade. I have a riding buddy who has one from a Paint/Perch mare and a TB stallion from a farm in Manitoba. Both nice horses.

I have a PMU gelding out of Alberta, 11 yrs old, but his breeding is unknown. He's pinto, very quarter horsey build, but has a clunky draft head and some TB withers. Who knows...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...psb00e1c7a.jpg

He's only 15.2, but a little thick through the legs, neck and head, some maybe a bit of draft in there.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just got off the phone with Lloyd Cancade, who has to be one of the kindest people I've ever "met" without meeting. He took the time to look up my horse, and so much more. I am ever grateful. I found out all sorts of wonderful things that I didn't know, including that my beloved horsie has a full sister.

Normandy, your horse is very nice! He does look (in my limited knowledge!) like he has some draft as well. There was a great paint stallion at Cancade Farms - Magnum was his name I think, and he sired horses with my horse's dam - but I don't know anything about the Alberta farms. Terasa, how old is yours? Mine's sire is Proven Jade; do you know yours?

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to snatch up a whole bunch of these horses...I know they're out there...and start a fun riding barn...different disciplines...I'm going to call it "Therapy" or "A Doctor's Appointment." Then when someone leaves work for an "appointment," they won't be lying . And anyone who is mean to anyone else or is full of drama gets the boot.

Anyway, I've found all sorts of interesting things online...it seems like many of these horses are the perfect amateur-friendly horses. Kind, willing, energetic, good mover, as safe as a horse can ever be, etc. I know I'm thrilled with my boy, and it is so much fun to learn more about him than I ever dreamed I'd know. He has been loved by some pretty cool ladies.

3 members found this post helpful.

I had one from Hiatt farm. Best horse I ever backed. 1/4 QH, 1/4 Perch, 1/2 Tb. I currently own one that I suspect might have been from one of those farms, but am unsure as to his history. He is marvelous, though more drafty.

I wish people were purpose breeding them still, because really the mind of a good crossbred is like nothing I've ever experienced. The one from Hiatt is now Foxhunting in NY as a staff horse.

That's the exact breeding of mine! He is a dream. Have you checked your current horse's microchip? You can find out everything through that...

My trainer says the same thing about my horse's mind.

Where are you guys purchasing your PMU horses? I have a friend that is soon to retire her 20 year old QH. She is a trail and leisure rider and these horses sound perfect for her.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

This farm starts our youngstock and she has a variety of draft X. She is lax about keeping her website current, so if you are in this area, best to contact her about what she has
    http://draftcross.com/
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Mine came from BenBar Farm in Indiana (where I used to live) but I'm not sure she's doing this anymore. I know her website isn't current and the number I have for her is disconnected.

My current horse was purchased from a friend, and she got him from some older lady (which is all I know about his history). I'll have to have him scanned to see if he has a chip.

I really liked Dundalk, and of course, even though RIDs and Irish Sporthorses aren't quite the same, I LOVE your hoses too horsetales. Many of them tend to have very similar temperaments. I'd fill my barn with them if I could!

Cancade mare coming 5 by TB Get Me Out. My mare, Sterling Exodus is out of Carrie, percheron cross mare sired by Proven Jade. Lots of ground Work, backed, saddled, carries bit. Grey, 16.0 or so. Really nice mind and she floats!
    Last edited by kingfillylk; Mar. 1, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: oops sorry, my first forum and i broke advertising rule sorry

I think I have heard of Carrie...was Get Me Out one of the Cancade stallions?

Blume Farm, I bought mine from a H/J barn, knowing nothing about his background as the trainers involved didn't want me to know his history. But if I am ever in the market for a new horse, I'd love to clone mine.

My mare is a PMU but not sure what farm she came from, I know she was from Manitoba though. She is a QH x Anglo-arab, can be a bit nutty and very sensitive, but she's super smart and I love her to bits!

My PMU baby came from Alder Flats, Alberta. Was bought at auction as a weanling, was started as a 3 year old and I got her when she was almost 4. She's now 10! Dad was a TB "Gun Runner," mom was a Belgian/QH. My mare is lovely, looks like an old-style warmblood. I love the draft crosses, I'll definitly get another one when the time comes. I just love my mare!! I've tried to find more info on her, I don't have a name for her mom, just a number, and I haven't had much luck in finding anything about her dad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blume Farm View Post
    Where are you guys purchasing your PMU horses? I have a friend that is soon to retire her 20 year old QH. She is a trail and leisure rider and these horses sound perfect for her.
    This is the list of NAERIC ranches. Some are draft but some have QH types.

http://www.naeric.org/ranchers.asp?strNav=2

This farm:
    http://www.ravineranchsporthorses.com/site/

in particular is worth a look if you are looking for a sport horse. They do the WB/TB/Draft cross and have produced some nice horses. A few friends of mine have bought babies here. They are very well priced.

One benefit of buying a pmu baby is NAERIC's prize money incentive program
    http://www.naeric.org/advantage.asp?strNav=1

A friend of mine has a jumper that does her share of winning and she gets a very nice cheque from NAERIC every year.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Red Rock Hunt located north of Reno, NV has over the years imported a lot of PMU's with the breeding lines you listed out. They used to go up each year and bring back a dozen or so yearlings and once they were old enough, break them and sell them. I don't know if w/the decline in the economy if they continue that practice today. The horses were suitable for the hunt's needs - sturdy, large, and fairly comfortable gaits which was nice for the lower level hunt riders.

Yes, Get Me Out was one of their TB studs. I don't have his pedigree with me at the moment. Carrie's dam is a Percheron cross, so I''m thinking my girl is 7/8 TB, 1/8 Percheron???

My pmu horse is from early dawn sport horses
    I got her from a broker I worked for, he got a huge lot of pmu mares and some babies
    Her sire is a tb, Alypolo's Diamond, and dame is a Perch, no name only a number.
    She's chiped and I have her papers
    Love my girl, she's smart, too smart, has a mile long stubborn streak and I wouldn't trade her for anything!

I had a Magnum baby... she is a jumper... jumped a 5ft gate on occasion lol... not intentionally by us though! and is currently hunting locally, but did well eventing and in the hunter ring. My friends bought 2 by Get Me Out and the one I really liked. In hindsight I wished I had bought one of his babies instead of Magnums...

I wish Cancade was still breeding. I would buy another from them in a heartbeat. Do they even have any horses left???
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Tuesday, I'm glad you're nuts over yours as well!

DQ - is yours a sorrel? I've done a little bit of research with the information you gave...

Mozart - nice horses in that link. I wish I could snap up a few more.

Snow Horse - Red Rock Hunt bought many horses from the Cancades. In fact, they bought my horse's sister . I've heard great things about them and think they still have some there.

Kingfilly - our babies are related .

Danier - is Early Dawn still breeding? I don't see them on the list anymore, and their website is either down or disabled. Another happy perch/TB owner!

Knightrider - Was Magnum's baby a paint also? Cancade isn't breeding, and doesn't have any horses left. I think that there are still some of his mares at another farm in Canada, and I think that possibly Red Rock has some as well, but that isn't confirmed.