The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Very Stressed in stall after hock Injections.

Yesterday (wednesday) my horse had his one hock injected. The vet told me to keep him in the stall for 3 days.

First day (today): He will not settle. Will not eat hay (ulcer prone) and is doing his best impression of a reining horse (spins)

he also has knee arthritis (which was injected a while ago) so the tight turns (sometimes at an impressive trot in a 12x12 stall) are probably not so good.

Also worried about him not eating hay for about 6 hours since he is ulcer prone.

I have access to a small limestone paddock that I could turn him out in within sight of the other horses. and best of all he might be a little less stressed.

is seems like a better option. the risk of infection in a limestone paddock that is cleaned regulary seems less likely. than the ulcers and colic risk.

Question: so should I try the paddock or just grit and bear it with the stall rest?

your opinions are welcome! Thank You
    Last edited by HoofHeartSoul; Feb. 28, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: title change
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

Ask your vet?

I would turn him out in the small paddock.

4 members found this post helpful.

After injections, we usually try to keep them in a clean environment overnight if we can, then, they go back to their normal turnout. Did the vet want him in because of mud or rain? You might call her and ask for suggestions.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are there adjacent stalls and are there horses in them? If you could put a buddy in next to him it might help. My gelding HATES to be stalled, and during a recent bout of laminitis, I needed to stall him for a couple of days, and my poor mare had to go in next to him to keep him calm. She actually seemed happier in the stall

Is there a specific reason the horse has to be stall rested for so long? My horses have sometimes gone out same day as their injections. (though often they stay in a stall just for the night then back to paddock turnout as usual)

It is a bit muddy, but was more frozen today and should be mostly frozen tomorrow (he doesn't usually roll when it is when frozen or really muddy).

all the horses he goes out with are out in the pasture and there is 1 horse inside (that doesn't seem to help when he knows his pasture buddies are outside).

He doesnt have a injury that would be further damaged by movement, actually the opposite hock arthritis lol, so he doesn't have to be rested for any sort of healing.
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

My vet (very awesome lameness vet) says if he's not going to go out and rip and tear he can go out. It's better for them to be out moving around.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

2 members found this post helpful.

IME stall rest is Rxd because you've just invaded a joint capsule with a needle and need to limit t/o so (in layman's terms) the medicine doesn't 'leak' out.

OP: If this horse is in the barn alone, it's natural he'll freak out. I'd keep a buddy in with him, within sight. I'd also speak to the vet about giving oral Ace if he continues not to settle.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

we have never kept a hock injection horse in for more than one day, ever.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

My horse just had her stifles injected and my vet said in overnight and normal turnout the next day and we were dealing with a drizzling muddy day but i guess stifles are up higher and turned away from the dirt in the event she was going to roll.

Id say the paddock would be a much better option.

My horse went out with her buddies the first day and probably didnt really do a lot but then, the next day, we switched her pasture because its flatter. In hindsight, probably should have waited another few days because apparently she ran and ran and ran for her buddies. Im hoping the "stuff" didnt all leak out but I guess she had almost 48 hours by then. Ugh

If plan A isn't workable, you need a plan B. Ask the vet who did the injections if 3 days of stall rest are mandatory, his general preference, or optional.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    After injections, we usually try to keep them in a clean environment overnight if we can, then, they go back to their normal turnout. Did the vet want him in because of mud or rain? You might call her and ask for suggestions.
    Same here. I even have problems with the first day with my ulcery stress ball. I got lucky once because of the weather everyone was in, but last time I brought a friend in for him and he still was miserable.

My mare went back into her large pasture after the hock injection procedure was complete and her sedative wore off...

The vet said to call him if anything looked swollen (indicating an issue, infection, etc).

He said to start riding lightly on the 3rd day. All went great!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

This is the protocol that my vet suggested as my horse did NOT like to be in a stall. He was only in until the sedation wore off and then was back on 24/7 turnout. He was fine.

You should, of course, discuss it with your vet but it sounds like rest is not part of being stalled for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    My mare went back into her large pasture after the hock injection procedure was complete and her sedative wore off...

The vet said to call him if anything looked swollen (indicating an issue, infection, etc).

He said to start riding lightly on the 3rd day. All went great!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My vet only has me keep my horse in for the remainder of the day of the injections. He goes outside the day after injection as normal, and I think it is something like three days before I get on him for light work following injections.

Realistically, the holes from the injection site are WELL closed by the next day, so there is no way anything is "leaking out" and, honestly, stalls are not exactly sanitary, even when kept very clean. I would not worry about putting a horse out after hock injections, even in mud. If it was coffin joint or something else low, I might keep the horse in a bit longer out of the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post

Realistically, the holes from the injection site are WELL closed by the next day, so there is no way anything is "leaking out"
    Thanks for making me feel better about my horse running around on the 2nd day after an injection

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    IME stall rest is Rxd because you've just invaded a joint capsule with a needle and need to limit t/o so (in layman's terms) the medicine doesn't 'leak' out.

OP: If this horse is in the barn alone, it's natural he'll freak out. I'd keep a buddy in with him, within sight. I'd also speak to the vet about giving oral Ace if he continues not to settle.
    Not sure how horses are compared to humans, but when I got my hips injected, I was on stall rest for 2 days haha aka no high impact activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ActNatural View Post
    Thanks for making me feel better about my horse running around on the 2nd day after an injection
    Ha, anytime! Mine once dumped me in his first day back to work after hock injections, galloped like a maniac around the indoor refusing to be caught post-dumping, and then I lunged him briefly before getting back on. Certainly not the ideal scenario, but since I wanted to live...we worked with what we had. FWIW, I did not notice that the injections wore off any quicker that time than any other time. In fact, I think that set may have even lasted a bit longer than usual!

My vet had me stall my horse overnight then turn out like normal the next day and ride on the 3rd day. He said that there is no reason to stall them and nothing "leaks" out. Since my horse had an actual lameness she had more then 3 days off.

When I had hocks and stifles done on my gelding last spring my vet told me exactly the same thing as enjoytheride's - in for the rest of the day, back to normal turnout the next day and could start riding on day 3.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!