The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post any other first-time dog owners?

Just got my first dog at age 30 (after about 20 years of desperately wanting one!). It's been a fascinating experience. Thankfully, my dog is absurdly well-trained (he's actually a service dog), so it's more a case of me figuring things out than him. Luckily he's very tolerant of me muddling around and figuring out the dog thing (seriously, if I give him the wrong command and he's pretty sure what I actually wanted him to do he'll stare at me until I figure out I was wrong and do it correctly!). He's been pretty much perfect for the 3 weeks I've had him.

I do wonder if I'll ever go to the bathroom in peace again. Poor dog seems to think that the bathroom and closet are vortexes from which I will never return... he will lay just outside the (open) door and watch me, just to make sure I'm still there.

Cassius is a 2 yr-old Lab/Golden cross. And yes, I created a Facebook page for my dog. Don't judge (too hard)

Anyone else have their first dog?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

awwwwww!!!!! Congrats!!! I'm going to be a sort of first time dog owner as of TOMORROW. By that I mean I grew up with dogs, but this is the first time I've had my very own dog. I hope my transition into sort of new dog ownership goes as well as yours has!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    I do wonder if I'll ever go to the bathroom in peace again. Poor dog seems to think that the bathroom and closet are vortexes from which I will never return... he will lay just outside the (open) door and watch me, just to make sure I'm still there.
    I've had dogs almost my whole life, and actually bought one before I moved into my house. So I don't even come close to qualifying for the first time owner, but he sure is a cutie.

if he's your SD, he probaby was taught to stay with you and that's why you find him outside the door to the bathroom

So cute! Dogs firmly believe that humans can slip down toilets, bathtub drains, etc., and that we need to be supervised in the bathroom. They also think closed doors are an abomination. Some dogs take a slightly more relaxed attitude and will let you move about the house alone if you appear to not be approaching a food source. Most, however, will follow you at all times. It does sometimes get wearing; it's like living in a very benevolent police state. But you'll never arrive home unannounced again, which is very nice.

Congrats on your new dog!

And just to add about the bathroom door issue...My dog thinks the bathroom is Narnia and I will never return. I have given up having any sort of privacy. I think my dog thinks me sitting on the loo is a captive audience to be petting.

Unless we have company over, I don't even bother shutting the bathroom door. It is a constant parade of animals who either want to make sure I am still in there or see me sitting for a second and figure my hands are free...

Hehehe...it is comforting to know that I am not the only one with a constant bathroom companion.

Congrats on the new dog!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Dogs appear to be genetically programmed to monitor any and all activity in the bathroom. The flip side of this is that I once had a dog trainer who said - only partly in jest - "If your puppy gets into a wild spell and is making you crazy the best solution is to shut yourself in the bathroom and lock the door" I will also add that in my younger days I had a male companion spend the night; he wasn't much of a REAL dog person, so we shut the bedroom door and the coonhound mix did his hound noises under the crack of the door for a good long time. End of that relationship!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

My boydog has earned the nickname "peepee pal"for his faithful attendance in the bathroom.
    Actually, the dogs are better in the bathroom than out. I do close them out when I am showering. I swear that there is something in the doggie handbook that requires that they bark in an alarming manner when you step into the shower. And by the time you finish and open the bathroom door they are sitting quietly and "innocently" as if they had never moved or barked!

Ah, the "serial killer! serial killer!" alert. I know it well.