The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What are your opinions?

I have this mechanical hackamore I got for Christmas from my parents. But after all the things I have been re-searching online, about how bad they can be if used in-proper by a rider that has un steady hands and what not. What are your opinions?

Are your hands soft and steady?

depends on the horse I ride, the horse i got it for was my quarter horse. His old owner messaged me on facebook saying that he actually preferred the mechanical hackamore, my parents heard and got it for me. But he is very frigidity, goes where ever when ever he wants which makes me frustrated and needs to tugs on the reins to snap him out of being ignorant. Does that help? lol sorry if that confused you :S

Actually sounds like he needs some basic training! His teeth been done recently too?

His teeth were done a year ago. And what do you think I should with him?

Quote Originally Posted by ClydesdaleLover View Post
    . But he is very frigidity,
    Frigidity?

Also seconding the opinion that he needs some basic training, with a good, experienced, knowledgable trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Frigidity?

Also seconding the opinion that he needs some basic training, with a good, experienced, knowledgable trainer.
    I don't have enough money for a trainer right now but is there something I can do with him?

**** Fidgety

If you don't know the basics about training and bits save up till a trainer can help you.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    If you don't know the basics about training and bits save up till a trainer can help you.
    Yep. Even a $40 session with a good trainer is a starting place. More would be great but at least they can get you going in the right direction.

Maybe you can post a video of you riding so we can critique? Are you not giving him clear enough signals so he ignores you?

What kind of mechanical hackamore are you talking about?
    There is a big difference between this
    http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/images/gear/hack.jpg

and this
    http://www.hoof-haven.com/Hackamore.jpg

Is he pulling through the hackamore or ignoring it?
    The adjustment on the chin strap makes all the differance in the world. If too loose you have nothing, if too tight you will hurt the horse with a heavy hand.
    Use leather not a chain if you are teaching the horse.
    Use a chain strap if he is teaching you.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

1 members found this post helpful.

No piece of tack is the answer to a training problem.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    No piece of tack is the answer to a training problem.
    A halter and a rope would quailfy, wouldn't it?
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

...he is very frigidity, goes where ever when ever he wants which makes me frustrated and needs to tugs on the reins to snap him out of being ignorant. Does that help? lol sorry if that confused you :S
    Horses can be fidgety because they're excited, because they don't understand what to do, because they are "high" from the wrong kind of food/not enough turnout/not enough proper exercise, because the rider is rough, and because they are uncomfortable in some way (tack fit is a No. 1 suspect).

A professional could help you sort out which of these things may be causing your problems, and help get you on the right track. When you feel you have to tug on the reins to get your horse's attention, you are not understanding the basics of rider/horse communication. Even one lesson can be very helpful. Good luck.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Maybe he's unhappy with the bit. Try him in the hackamore and see how he goes for you. The fidgets may vanish. If they do, and you want to ride in a bit he'll need a different bit, his teeth done, or both.

If he goes better in the hackamore, then USE his more cooperative self to TRAIN him to be more responsive and respectful to you. A piece of tack isn't the answer to training problems, but the right one can give you a window of opportunity to train the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    What kind of mechanical hackamore are you talking about?
    There is a big difference between this
    http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/images/gear/hack.jpg

and this
    http://www.hoof-haven.com/Hackamore.jpg
    I have a braided leather hackamore

How about the original owner? Are they available to come out and help you a bit? Assuming they are knowledgable and local, they might be able to help you work out the kinks since they know the horse already

I have a braided leather hackamore
    From the google images I pulled up that has a very long shank. It needs to be used with no contact like a western horse goes. A short shanked hack (like the second one I posted) you can have light contact with.

Braided leather hacks can be harsh just sitting on the horses nose. If you never touch the reins the braided nose piece can rub hair off the horses nose.

I use an S Hack, but also have 2 Sliesters - both of these have a braided nose. Very nice hacks btw.

I use a very good quality real sheepskin cover on all my hacks. I use dental floss (yes really), or butcher string to tie it on.

I use an S hack with sheepskin on my low palette mare. She can't do a broken bit and is not happy in a mullen mouth. S hack is different than a regular hack, whereas you can isolate the shoulder and pretty much use like a snaffle, but it has no bit. She is fussy with all bits, but is fine with this one. She is well trained though. An S hack doesn't have much stopping power, but a hack DOES.

Adjust the chain, or leather strap if you need more whoa power.

I rode endurance in hacks. All my horses were very light on the neckreining, and responded well to the whoa part.

I can't ride one handed any more so I use 2 hands with the S hack. Works well.

As with all bits, it is all in the users hands.